The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Quick question on substitution (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24350-quick-question-substitution.html)

SeanFitzRef Fri Jan 20, 2006 09:22am

Had a situation in a game last night, which brought up a question:

When during a game can the opposing coach choose the sub?

A1 driving to the basket, B1 tries to take a charge. A1 comes down and hits head on the floor, blood on head and concussion. The coach of Team A now sends in a sub for the injured player, and that sub must shoot the free throws.

This brought a question from Team B coach that he should be able to choose the sub. I said not in this instance (?), but I think there is a sitch for that. Anyone remember what it is?? Not a quiz, just a question.

Jurassic Referee Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:02am

There is no situation that I know of in NFHS/NCAA rules where the opposing coach can choose a sub.

There is some kinda rule like that in the NBA-- I think -- but that's not real basketball anyway.

ChuckElias Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:57am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
There is some kinda rule like that in the NBA-- I think
In the NBA, anytime a player is entitled to shoot FTs, but is unable to (due to injury or ejection), the opposing coach picks the sub who will attempt the FTs.

Additionally, if the original player is unable to shoot the FTs due to injury, if a sub comes in to shoot the FTs for him, the original player is not eligible to return to the game.

But as JR said, in HS and NCAA, the opposing coach is never allowed to choose the sub.

Snake~eyes Fri Jan 20, 2006 09:26pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
There is some kinda rule like that in the NBA-- I think
In the NBA, anytime a player is entitled to shoot FTs, but is unable to (due to injury or ejection), the opposing coach picks the sub who will attempt the FTs.

Additionally, if the original player is unable to shoot the FTs due to injury, if a sub comes in to shoot the FTs for him, the original player is not eligible to return to the game.

But as JR said, in HS and NCAA, the opposing coach is never allowed to choose the sub.

Just curious, does the player that the coach requests have to be a sub? Or can he already be in the game?

ChuckElias Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Just curious, does the player that the coach requests have to be a sub? Or can he already be in the game?
In the NBA, it's gotta be a sub. Can't make Shaq shoot the FTs if he's already on the floor.

Snake~eyes Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:19am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Originally posted by Snake~eyes
In the NBA, it's gotta be a sub. Can't make Shaq shoot the FTs if he's already on the floor.

That was exactly the situation I was thinking. Thank.