The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Lil Tester (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24353-lil-tester.html)

MichiganOfficial Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:45am

Testing all officials!!!

A1 inbounding the ball in the front court, B1 in front of A1 but not breaking the plain. A1 frustrated that he/she can't get the ball by the outstreched arms of B1, A1 reaches out and with one hand moves the arm of B1 and throws the ball in to A2. What do we have boys?

IREFU2 Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:52am

Hmmm

Unsportsmanlike conduct???? Technical Foul possible. Good question.

Jurassic Referee Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:57am

Quote:

Originally posted by MichiganOfficial
Testing all officials!!!

A1 inbounding the ball in the front court, B1 in front of A1 but not breaking the plain. A1 frustrated that he/she can't get the ball by the outstreched arms of B1, A1 reaches out and with one hand moves the arm of B1 and throws the ball in to A2. What do we have boys?

Intentional personal foul.

Jurassic Referee Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:58am

Re: Hmmm

Quote:

Originally posted by IREFU2
Technical foul for illegal contact during a <b>live</b> ball? :confused:

IREFU2 Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:59am

Re: Re: Hmmm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Technical foul for illegal contact during a live ball? :confused:

I was shooting in the dark, not sure...I was looking through the rule book too. If you have a rule, please share!

zebraman Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:14am

Sounds like a plain old common foul to me. Live ball...no player control on a throw-in. Just a plain old foul on A1.

Z

IREFU2 Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:22am

Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman
Sounds like a plain old common foul to me. Live ball...no player control on a throw-in. Just a plain old foul on A1.

Z

No team control either on throw in, so spot out of bounds closest to the foul, Right or they could shot if they are in the bonus??

Jurassic Referee Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:26am

Re: Re: Re: Hmmm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I was shooting in the dark, not sure...I was looking through the rule book too. If you have a rule, please share!

Rule 4-19-1&3.

It meets the rules definition of both a personal foul and an intentional personal foul. I went with the intentional because of the language "neutralizes an opponent's obvious advantageous position". It was a deliberate act used to gain an unfair advantage. I wouldn't really protest if it was called a regular personal foul though. It meets that definition also.

zebraman Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:39am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman

Z

No team control either on throw in, so spot out of bounds closest to the foul, Right or they could shot if they are in the bonus??

Yep.

Z

Nevadaref Sat Jan 21, 2006 04:16am

Personal foul on A1. Shoot the bonus if necessary.

JugglingReferee Sat Jan 21, 2006 06:12am

If it is an intentional personal foul for B1 to reach through the plane and contact the thrower-in, the same penalty should exist for the reverse case.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Jan 21, 2006 09:07pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hmmm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rule 4-19-1&3.

It meets the rules definition of both a personal foul and an intentional personal foul. I went with the intentional because of the language "neutralizes an opponent's obvious advantageous position". It was a deliberate act used to gain an unfair advantage. I wouldn't really protest if it was called a regular personal foul though. It meets that definition also.

JR:

You are sounding a lot like me. I guess it is going to be 80F tomorrow here in Toledo.

MTD, Sr.

MichiganOfficial Mon Jan 23, 2006 06:09am

Way to go Jurassic, Yes it is an Intentional Personal Foul

Nevadaref Mon Jan 23, 2006 06:26am

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
If it is an intentional personal foul for B1 to reach through the plane and contact the thrower-in, the same penalty should exist for the reverse case.
But this situation is more analogous to the thrower extending the ball through the plane and being fouled on his arm on the inbounds side of the plane by a defender.

The ruling on that play is a common foul because the contact occurs on the inbounds side of the boundary plane.

The contact on the play under discussion in this thread also occurs on the inbounds side of the boundary plane.

JugglingReferee Mon Jan 23, 2006 06:42am

Quote:

Originally posted by MichiganOfficial
Testing all officials!!!

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
But this situation is more analogous to the thrower extending the ball through the plane and being fouled on his arm on the inbounds side of the plane by a defender.

The ruling on that play is a common foul because the contact occurs on the inbounds side of the boundary plane.

The contact on the play under discussion in this thread also occurs on the inbounds side of the boundary plane.

I believe that another aspect of the play is more important than the spacial location of the foul. I think it's necessary to rule on A1's intent. Clearly A1's actions are intentional by trying to thwart an opponent's obvious advantageous position: playing good inbound defense.

Edit: post editted at Nevada's request. Sorry about the mixup!

[Edited by JugglingReferee on Jan 23rd, 2006 at 10:51 PM]