The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

NAIA GAME: Team had 9 fouls and the ref tells the girl two shots. She shoots the first one and misses the team that was shooting grabs the ball and puts it in. Coaches blow up and the ref get together realizing that it should of been a one and one. Refs wave the basket off and give the ball to the team that was shooting free throws. What is the right call?
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 10:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeRaker
NAIA GAME: Team had 9 fouls and the ref tells the girl two shots. She shoots the first one and misses the team that was shooting grabs the ball and puts it in. Coaches blow up and the ref get together realizing that it should of been a one and one. Refs wave the basket off and give the ball to the team that was shooting free throws. What is the right call?
DrakeRaker,
Wave off the basket and go to the arrow.

Welcome to the forum.
mick
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Refs did good by waving of the basket but should have went to the possesion arrow, to determine whom should get the ball.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
DrakeRaker,

Welcome to the forum.
mick
What he said.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
It's another epidemic!
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 11:23am
MABO Member

Deja Vu

[Edited by SmokeEater on Jan 20th, 2006 at 11:30 AM]

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

I've seen this kind thing before
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

It depends on what happened when the girl put it back in. the post sounds like it was unattested so yes wave off and go to arrow, but I had a similar play where at the end of a one and one most of the players thought it was two shots. There wer two though from opposite teams that somewhat thought it was one and one. The offensive player gets the rebound over the defensive player. Everybody pauses for a second and I mean just a second(not really enough time to blow the whistle dead, but just enough time to look weird and out of the ordinary) While everybody is motionless and they hear no whistle, the offensive player makes a move with the defender actively trying to guard the offensive man(without missing a beat or the offensive player getting a half second start), and proceeds to score. We count the basket and move on. The coach of the defensive is going crazy, but I explained to him that his defender made a legitimate play at defense so the basket counted and he lived with it.

What I am trying to say is that if two opponents go at it and everyone is motionless, count the basket. If the defender in my story had went motionless and the offensive player had gotten a step in front of the defender because of the motionless, I blow the play dead and go to the arrow.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 01:44pm
MABO Member

Deja Vu all over again.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
the post sounds like it was unattested
You mean no one would admit that it happened?
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Uh, oh...here we go again...

(Used with permission.)
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
DrakeRaker,

Welcome to the forum.
mick
Maybe they did go with the arrow. There's a 50/50 chance the shooting team got the ball.