The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

In a highschool game I witnessed a mistake was made on the number of team fouls. Foul shots were awarded and one point was scored. Minutes later,about four, the table called the ref to the table and informed him of the mistake. The ref then corrected the number of team fouls BUT also took away the one point. Is this the correct call? Thanks for the help.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 01:01pm
M.A.S.H.

It would depend. If it was the first dead ball, then it was correct. If it wasn't the first dead ball, then it wasn't correct.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

The book (and scoreboard) can and should be corrected to reflect the right number of team fouls at anytime during the game. It was probably too late to cancel the point due to the unmerited FT though.

Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

In our rules meetings, we are told never ever take points off the board.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 02:59pm
Never Stop Learning

You were told wrong. Might want to look at 2-10-4 that could possibly take points off the board.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by OklahomaRef
In our rules meetings, we are told never ever take points off the board.
Why in the world would somebody say that? What if the timer has a brain cramp and "accidentally" puts an extra 5 points for the home team on the board?

You should probably stop using the word "never" so much.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Scoreboard is an accurate reflection of what's in the official book.

If they disagree then points should be added or deleted to match the Home Scores (official) book.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PABlue
In a highschool game I witnessed a mistake was made on the number of team fouls. Foul shots were awarded and one point was scored. Minutes later,about four, the table called the ref to the table and informed him of the mistake. The ref then corrected the number of team fouls BUT also took away the one point. Is this the correct call? Thanks for the help.
The concept is called "Correctable Errors" and should be known to all officials. There are circumstances where errors (like these) are deemed to be able to be corrected and limited to a certain period of time in the game.

After the described period of time - errors are no longer correctable and play continues.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

I think what we were talking about was if a team scored and and a correctable error was found do you take points off. I dont think the original post had anything to do with the scorer putting up extra points. So if a a ref calls a foul...seventh foul...no one catches it...team scores..next dead ball it's caught you take points of then?
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by OklahomaRef
I think what we were talking about was if a team scored and and a correctable error was found do you take points off. I dont think the original post had anything to do with the scorer putting up extra points. So if a a ref calls a foul...seventh foul...no one catches it...team scores..next dead ball it's caught you take points of then?
During the dead ball as that shot falls through the net, you can correct the error, but you don't take the points off.

See my very detailed and exhaustive series of articles on this topic on the paid side in 2005. Personally, I think it's worth the subscription price just for this one series. But I don't like to brag.