The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

After the Alabama/Arkansas game, Stan Heath was asked about the officiating. He declined to comment in order to not get fined. Arkansas lost the game in overtime. It should probably not have gone to overtime. There were several questionable calls that put the game there. Bama shot 33 foul shots to nine for the Hogs, along with a bad blocking call that brought the tide close late in the game. He took the high road by not bashing the refs, but his words sent a strong message to the SEC. What should the SEC and the game officials do?
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 12:50am
Do not give a damn!!

I did not see the game nor have I seen anything about the game.

Officials at this level are evaluated by every minute and every call. So if the SEC determined something was wrong they can fine officials or suspend and possibly fire the officials.

Just because a coach decided he did not like the officiating means about as much as your opinion does on the issue. He could file a complaint with the league and he will probably get some kind of response to his questions, but that does not mean they will side with his complaints either. The SEC might agree with the calls and what took place. Unless there was something done very wrong like a rule mess up, you are likely not to hear anything publicly about the situation. These things are handled in house and are not made public unless the league suspends someone. I just find it funny how you as a fan know what a wrong block call is when you probably have no concept of what the rule actually is. Oh well, I guess that is the life of a fan.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 03:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bballfan
After the Alabama/Arkansas game, Stan Heath was asked about the officiating. He declined to comment in order to not get fined. Arkansas lost the game in overtime. It should probably not have gone to overtime. There were several questionable calls that put the game there. Bama shot 33 foul shots to nine for the Hogs, along with a bad blocking call that brought the tide close late in the game. He took the high road by not bashing the refs, but his words sent a strong message to the SEC. What should the SEC and the game officials do?
The SEC and game officials should ignore idiotic fanboys like you.

Now go away.

Shoo, shoo......

Go whine on a fanboy site somewhere. This site is for people who don't moan about the mean, nasty old officials that are screwing their teams.

Early this year....usually don't get this crap until March Madness....
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Would you be on this board complaining if the roles were reversed and the calls went in favor of Arkansas? Try to look at it as an official would...completely unbiased.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Even ?

Quote:
Originally posted by bballfan
Just cracks me up to hear fans/coaches holler about an inequality of fouls called in a game.

Since when does the rule book say that the same amount of fouls need to be called on each team or at least close to that amount.

As I chided a coach a few weeks ago, "the reason that we have called more fouls on your team is because you are fouling more than them"

Some teams foul more because of the style of play and that's just part of the game.

Thanks
David
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

The SEC has, I am sure, an approved process for the coach(es) to comment on the officiating. This could include sending in game tapes with specific plays highlited or a formal evaluation form. It does not include making comments in the press.

So, what the SEC should do is wiat for the coach to follow that process and evaluate the information and evidence. What the game officials should do is watch the tape and see how they could improve (positioning, etc.). Division 1 officials usually do that after every game.

Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I did not see the game nor have I seen anything about the game.

Officials at this level are evaluated by every minute and every call. So if the SEC determined something was wrong they can fine officials or suspend and possibly fire the officials.

Just because a coach decided he did not like the officiating means about as much as your opinion does on the issue. He could file a complaint with the league and he will probably get some kind of response to his questions, but that does not mean they will side with his complaints either. The SEC might agree with the calls and what took place. Unless there was something done very wrong like a rule mess up, you are likely not to hear anything publicly about the situation. These things are handled in house and are not made public unless the league suspends someone. I just find it funny how you as a fan know what a wrong block call is when you probably have no concept of what the rule actually is. Oh well, I guess that is the life of a fan.

Peace
I agree with the above statement and to add being part of the SEC, we are drilled about positioning, RSBQ, etc. You can best believe that officials in the SEC are watched closely and all film is brokedown. Did you know that the NBA gets most of their official from the SEC? Grant you, I am on the bottom teir of the SEC, but even from the lowest to the highest, we are looked at under a microscope!
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I always like Padgett's comment

"We'll keep the fouls even if you'll keep the points even."
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Well, let's see here. The crew on the game was Doug Shows, Joe Lindsay, and Tony Greene.

Who should I trust? Those guys or bballfan and his first post?

I'm really struggling with this one.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm...another disgruntled fan from Arkansas....momstwo reincarnated?
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Not that anyone will be surprised, but Shows nailed the aforementioned blocking call.

Let's count the late-game screw-ups Stan Heath is partially or totally responsible for:

1) Up three with time winding down, his player fouls a three-point shooter with 10 seconds to go.

2) Heath, with at least one TO remaining, elects to freeze the free throw shooter after he stepped up and drilled the first two in great rhythm...wait a minute, he didn't try to freeze the shooter. Oops, Steele makes all three.

3) With the game tied, he allows his team to use five seconds getting into the front-court before calling a time-out. Last-second shot is terrible.

4) Down three with 4+ seconds left in OT, Arkansas inbounds the ball and lets it fly from half-court with 2+ seconds remaining.

5) Arkansas led by as many as 11 (and possibly more, I didn't stay glued to this one) in the second half, and was up 7 with two minutes remaining, if memory serves.

Call your coach to account for a lousy job before you jump on a crew that included two Final Four officials.

Didn't care who won at the time. Now I'm darn glad Bama did.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

To quote the mother of the cutest player on the court in a Girls 7th grade B team 41-7 contest with less than 2 minutes to go, "you guys are costing us the game. Can't you see they're playing their hearts out?"

I'd say, quit the whining.