The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Two Simple Questions (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24309-two-simple-questions.html)

David M Wed Jan 18, 2006 02:52pm

Here are two questions that I pretty sure are both legal but I want to be sure.

1. Opening jump ball. Both jumpers tap the ball and it fall to the floor. Jumper A1 then retreives before anyone else touches. Legal?

2. A1 inbounding after a made basket throws to A2 who is out of bounds along the end line. A2 then runs the end line. Legal?

Thanks.

Bama_Ref_N_Ump Wed Jan 18, 2006 02:55pm

First question - NOT Legal ..

Second question - Legal

David M Wed Jan 18, 2006 03:08pm

I have just been looking thru the rule book and found 6-5-7 which states: Neither jumper shall:
a. Touch the tossed ball before it reaches it's highest point.
b. Leave the center restraining circle until the ball has been touched.
c. Catch the jump ball.
d. Touch the ball more than twice.
The jump ball and these restrictions end when the touched ball contacts one of the eight nonjumpers, the floor, a basket or backboard.

The sentence after d seems to state that it would be legal. Am I missing something?

buckrog64 Wed Jan 18, 2006 03:12pm

Ditto....

jumper cannot retrieve a jump ball. 04-05 rule book references rule 6-3-7c. Might be a different reference in the 05-06 book which is not handy.

blindzebra Wed Jan 18, 2006 04:28pm

Once the ball touches a non-jumper or the floor the jumper may retrieve it.

Both questions the answer is legal.

BayStateRef Wed Jan 18, 2006 05:17pm

I had a strange twist on this recently. Jump ball is tapped by A1, hits the referee in the head and is then caught by A1.

Since a ball that touches an official is the same as touching the floor where the offical stands (in this case in the middle of the court), it is a legal play.

fonzzy07 Wed Jan 18, 2006 05:22pm

Blindzebra:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
In the situation above only jumpers had touched the ball so the answer to the first one is illegal.

blindzebra Wed Jan 18, 2006 05:30pm

Quote:

Originally posted by fonzzy07
Blindzebra:

In the situation above only jumpers had touched the ball so the answer to the first one is illegal.

What part of these restrictions end when the ball touches a non-jumper, the backboard, basket, or FLOOR don't you get?

ThickSkin Wed Jan 18, 2006 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:

Blindzebra:

What part of these restrictions end when the ball touches a non-jumper, the backboard, basket, or FLOOR don't you get?

I don't know... this is REALLY confusing!!!

mcdanrd Wed Jan 18, 2006 05:45pm

Fonzzy, Touched ball refers to the jumpers. If the ball is touched by a jumper after it has reached its highest point on the toss and then the ball touches a non-jumper, backboard, basket, or floor the jumper may be the first to gain possession of the ball.

rainmaker Wed Jan 18, 2006 06:45pm

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:

Blindzebra:

Sheez, BZ, lighten up. The kid is a teenager and brand new to reffing. Cut him a little slack.

assignmentmaker Thu Jan 19, 2006 02:02am

That's great!

Quote:

Originally posted by BayStateRef
I had a strange twist on this recently. Jump ball is tapped by A1, hits the referee in the head and is then caught by A1.

Since a ball that touches an official is the same as touching the floor where the offical stands (in this case in the middle of the court), it is a legal play.

Nice addition to the endless list . . .