The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "Referee the Defense" tips/advice? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24284-referee-defense-tips-advice.html)

coach41 Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:41pm

Hi All,

Officials, just like players and coaches, will have their off nights. I probably had one of those nights last friday at a girls varsity game.

In any case, afterwards, I had a nice long talk with a veteran official (who was the AD of the school I was at) and she noted that I should "referee the defense" better.

To be honest, I thought I had slowed my habit of ball watching and focused on the defense better. However, after having a chance to replay a little bit of the game in my head, I realized I had reverted back during the game.

My best guess as to why is both teams were playing zone a lot. When the ball swung from side to side, I would tend to watch the ball swing and when a player drove to the hoop against the zone, I would immediately focus on the player with the ball rather than the nearby defenders. I think I unfairly penalized the defense a few times with some calls.

In any case, I was curious what the other officials here have to offer on working/improving this aspect of officiating?

Thanks!

rockyroad Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:54pm

Talk to yourself...as you set up in the half-court, tell yourself "Find blue" or whatever color is on defense. Then rotate thru numbers - as the ball swings to one side, find the nearest blue (or whatever color) player and tell yourself his/her number. Example - "as ball swings and blue #25 starts to rush at the ball, say in your head "Watch 25, watch 25...it's all about keeping your concentration level high at all times, and mental reminders will help quite a bit.

Forksref Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:59pm

I've been at it for over 30 years and I still have to tell myself, "Watch the defense, watch the defense..."

truerookie Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rockyroad
Talk to yourself...as you set up in the half-court, tell yourself "Find blue" or whatever color is on defense. Then rotate thru numbers - as the ball swings to one side, find the nearest blue (or whatever color) player and tell yourself his/her number. Example - "as ball swings and blue #25 starts to rush at the ball, say in your head "Watch 25, watch 25...it's all about keeping your concentration level high at all times, and mental reminders will help quite a bit.
The advice is good. However, you will still have the tendency to ball watch. What about off ball coverage?

Watch your primary and all of blue in your primary.

IREFU2 Tue Jan 17, 2006 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally posted by truerookie
Quote:

The advice is good. However, you will still have the tendency to ball watch. What about off ball coverage?

I concur on this note and to add to it, try to find your match ups. That way you know who is on the offense and the defense.

ThickSkin Tue Jan 17, 2006 01:31pm

What works for me when I am lead is to work wide and slightly turn my body away from the ball to where I can only see it out of the corner of my eye. As far as C and T go, I just have to keep talking to myself...

Junker Tue Jan 17, 2006 01:48pm

Look for matchups in your area. If there aren't any, find the matchup closest to your area and work with them. A bit of a 3 man mechanic, but it works for 2.

rockyroad Tue Jan 17, 2006 02:11pm

Quote:

Quote:

Huh??? Telling myself to watch the defense will cause me to watch the ball??? What are you talking about?

Back In The Saddle Tue Jan 17, 2006 02:18pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Huh??? Telling myself to watch the defense will cause me to watch the ball??? What are you talking about?

I think he's saying that your advice seems to be saying to watch the defender that's on the ball. But what about defenders away from the ball?

rockyroad Tue Jan 17, 2006 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Back In The Saddle

Huh??? Telling myself to watch the defense will cause me to watch the ball??? What are you talking about? [/B][/QUOTE]

I think he's saying that your advice seems to be saying to watch the defender that's on the ball. But what about defenders away from the ball? [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, the original post made mention of the ball swinging from side to side and drives to the basket as the main areas where the Poster was having problems...so I responded on how to help with that - still not sure how that answer would cause someone to ball-watch, but whatever...

rainmaker Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:46am

The way to break the ball-watching habit is to tape a college game off TV, find an off-ball foul in the game, then keep watching the play again and again until you see the foul before the ref blows the whistle.

--OR--

Work a game where your partner never looks off-ball. You do it instead. The whole game. It's amazing what you'll see, and you'll enjoy the off-ball parts from then on.

Back In The Saddle Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:50am

Something that works for me is to find the two nearest matchups and watch them.

JRutledge Wed Jan 18, 2006 01:32am

I just learned early on that watching off ball was to my advantage and that is what I did. If the ball is not in my primary or even near my primary I do not follow the ball. I do not do anything special than just watch off ball when I am supposed to. Not sure there is a magic trick to it for me.

Peace

Snake~eyes Wed Jan 18, 2006 02:20am

Quote:

Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Something that works for me is to find the two nearest matchups and watch them.
This works for me, find a competitive matchup.

assignmentmaker Wed Jan 18, 2006 03:24am

Reffing the defense is important

Reffing the defense is important, for sure, but, taken to the extreme, you can really lose 'sight' of the offense. One way to keep a balance is to learn the offenses on the fly. Of course, if there's just motion-without-a-purpose, well, it could be a long night.

tomegun Wed Jan 18, 2006 05:02am

Re: Reffing the defense is important

Quote:

Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Reffing the defense is important, for sure, but, taken to the extreme, you can really lose 'sight' of the offense.
Thank you for mentioning this. Referee the matchup!

Ref Daddy Wed Jan 18, 2006 08:37am

Referee the Defense .... Think like the Offense.

tomegun Wed Jan 18, 2006 09:50am

Quote:

Originally posted by Ref Daddy

Referee the Defense .... Think like the Offense.

Sorry, but that makes no sense.

I think it is funny - but expected - that I get mildly blasted for saying referee the matchup and nobody says anything about this. So, do you think, "I'm about to travel", "I'm about to push off", "I'm about to double-dribble", etc? Sometimes things are made too simplistic and sometimes things are made too complicated; this is an example. What are we really supposed to be doing? We should be watching our primary for violations, fouls and anything we think we should put a whistle on. I'm not going to think like the defense or offense, I'm going to think like a referee. I'm going to react, when necessary, to actions that I need to.

Referee the defense - too vague
Referee the matchup - better but there is still more
Referee the defense...think like the offense - doesn't make sense

All this is my opinion and not the opinion of the sponsors. :D

Junker Wed Jan 18, 2006 09:54am

Referee the match up is a great way to get your mindset in 3 man, but I think that referee the defense is better for a 2 man game. You have more to look at in your primary.

ChuckElias Wed Jan 18, 2006 09:59am

Tom, "think like the offense" is just another way of saying "anticipate the play". Where is the ballhandler going? Is he going to drive? Then I have a block/charge call coming. Is he going to dribble for a jumper? Then I have to make sure he doesn't push off to make space, and I have to watch for contact all the up and back to the floor during the jumper.

Anticipate the play, but not the call. That's what Edgar would tell us.

DownTownTonyBrown Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:44am

Little different tack

Different answer but maybe helpful. When someone says the words "referee the defense" it means something different to me than what most are saying here.

After all, think about fouls; the vast majority of fouls are called on/against the defense. The defense has done something wrong; tweet. WSith the ball in my primary area, I spend my game refereeing the defense. And by that I mean, in the ball match-up, I specifically watch the defense for illegalities. If the defense does not do anything wrong then I've either got a NO-CALL or, if there is sufficient contact and advantage gained by the offense, then I've probably got a player control foul.

Today's game has lots of contact. For me, "referee the defense" means ON-BALL coverage and I watch for illegal acts by the defender (in their effort to 'prevent' the ball handler from scoring).

Off-ball coverage is generally where we pick up illegal screens committed by the OFFENSE and also some by the defense. But the ratio for OFF-BALL fouls is probably closer to 50-50 for defense and offense whereas the ratio for on-ball coverage is probably closer to 90-10 defense to offense.

$0.25 ka-ching.

rainmaker Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:42am

Re: Little different tack

Quote:

Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Different answer but maybe helpful. When someone says the words "referee the defense" it means something different to me than what most are saying here.

After all, think about fouls; the vast majority of fouls are called on/against the defense. The defense has done something wrong; tweet.

Right, and a good PC call is defined by where the defense is right before the contact, so watching the defense is the best way to get the B/C call correct.

I agree that watching the matcup is the best way to ref off ball.

IREFU2 Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:46am

Re: Re: Little different tack

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

After all, think about fouls; the vast majority of fouls are called on/against the defense. The defense has done something wrong; tweet.

Right, and a good PC call is defined by where the defense is right before the contact, so watching the defense is the best way to get the B/C call correct.

Amen on the PC fouls as well as the B/C fouls too.

tomegun Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:51am

Downtown, I would suspect that the offense gets away with various violations and offensive (player-control) fouls. Right now, your gut reaction is to probably disagree with that assesment immediately and say, "no, I get those calls too." If they don't then, my friend, you are refereeing the matchup whether you want to call it that or not. In the big scheme of things, doesn't it make more sense to call something what it actually is? What is the best way to describe watching two players and make sure neither one of them does anything (violations and fouls) illegal? If someone can come up with something that accurately describes this and isn't two or three sentences, I'm all ears. But, referee the defense does not give as accurate a definition as referee the matchup. I don't mean anything in this post to get into a back and forth. I'm just of the opinion that referee the defense isn't the most simple and accurate term to describe what we do when we...:) referee the matchup!

tomegun Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:01pm

Re: Re: Little different tack

Quote:

Quote:

I feel like throwing up! When a drive is imminent, yes we must locate the defender to determine a b/c foul. However, why are we still talking about a few situations in a game when we referee the matchup EVERY time someone has the ball and is being guarded. To deny that we really referee the matchup is essentially saying we are going to miss travels, double dribbles and other things. If someone posts saying they do miss those things because they are focused on the defense, I will agree that is refereeing the defense.

DownTownTonyBrown Wed Jan 18, 2006 01:05pm

Puke away Tommy

My point was not that I'm not paying attention to the offensive player - that I'm missing violations by the offensive player, etc.

My point was that "referee the defense" is a method allowing the official to accurately judge whether a foul needs to be called on the defensive player... or whether the offical can 'no-call' the action.

Obviously an official is still responsible for off-ball and the big picture, but this thread started with an official being told he needs to "referee the defense better."

IREFU2 Wed Jan 18, 2006 01:11pm

If you referee the defense, you can see what the offense is doing!

rockyroad Wed Jan 18, 2006 01:12pm

Re: Re: Re: Little different tack

Quote:

Originally posted by tomegun

I feel like throwing up! When a drive is imminent, yes we must locate the defender to determine a b/c foul. However, why are we still talking about a few situations in a game when we referee the matchup EVERY time someone has the ball and is being guarded. To deny that we really referee the matchup is essentially saying we are going to miss travels, double dribbles and other things. If someone posts saying they do miss those things because they are focused on the defense, I will agree that is refereeing the defense.

OK, go ahead and throw up...this is one of those "you say tomato, I say tuhmato" things...everyone is talking about the same basic thing, you've just got everything in a wad because you like your terminology better than anyone else's...c'est la vie.

ChuckElias Wed Jan 18, 2006 01:28pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Little different tack

Quote:

this is one of those "you say tomato, I say tuhmato" things...
"Tuhmato"? :) Just struck me as funny. It looks funny.

rockyroad Wed Jan 18, 2006 01:41pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Little different tack

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Huk't on foniks, baby...works every time!

Dave Dow Wed Jan 18, 2006 01:55pm

Some of the best action is off ball.

Chess Ref Wed Jan 18, 2006 02:03pm

Agreed

I agree with Dave, some of the best stuff is off-ball. Also I find that I make some of my most,relaxed and correct calls off ball. I think it is because no one in the gym is watching " off-ball" except me. LOL

tomegun Wed Jan 18, 2006 02:49pm

Not my terminology, I got it from someone who is far better than me and doing this thing the right way, therefore I will listen to what he has to say. Actually, it is a wonderful thing to know who knows what they are doing and who should be listened to.
I'm not in a wad, I just need to keep reminding myself that some officials already have this things whipped. I guess they got it all figured out while and officiating and listening to their "veteran" partner during their class A boys/girls varsity/jv game. Thankfully I try not to be this way and I learn from those I work with in addition to the wise typed words of those on this board that have obviously done what they are talking about. I would mention names of those posters but there are too many and I don't want to leave anyone out.
Terminology changes because - mysteriously to some on this board - the philosophy of instructors (big time officials) change. It boggles the mind how someone can learn at a camp or other setting when being so against changing a mindset.
I have asked this before, someone tell me a short/accurate new term to describe what I do when I'm looking at two players (some would say a matchup :D) and I will consider using it.
Misguided philosophy, which is how we dictate action to me, will result in the wrong action. Instead of saying something and saying what you really mean, I would rather say something that says what I mean on its own. Then, I put that philosophy into action. In the beginning stages we take this philosophy and self-talk our way through situations untill they become automatic. During those early stages we are talking defense, defense, defense and miss other things (we all did/do it). I think it eases the growing pains to think matchup until a point where you go to defense, just my thought process.
Many times officials aren't even watching the defense. Try this sequence, whistle/color/number all in a rythm. Many officials can do whistle/pause/color/number and that says more about how many things we do as officials in a short time. Watching the defense can remove the pause and really communicate confidence in your calls. When the announcer is announcing your call before you even report to the table, you know you are on point.

I don't mean to offend anyone or start and argument. I just have a passion about the game. I think brianp, nevada and chuck probably know I have somewhat of a sharp intensity that is not meant to offend anyone. :D

I have to get on the road now and put this into action! Thank goodness I don't have to drive alone tonight. I'm catching some shut eye in the back seat.

rockyroad Wed Jan 18, 2006 03:14pm

Ok...a question for tomegun: How do you know when there is a "match-up" to watch? I would bet it doesn't have anything to do with where an offensive player is standing...example: offensive player standing at head of key, without the ball, no defender within 10 feet - is that your match-up? It becomes a "match-up" when a defensive player starts making it competitive...and how do we know when that happens? Because we referee the defense and see that match-up start...like I said, "tomato" and "tuhmato" (just for you, Chuck...

And you really have no clue who on this board has done what, so throwing out comments like "your A level varsity/jv" labels really doesn't help anything...many of us on this board have "learned from the best" and continue to do so...the mentor you got "ref the match-up" from took it right out of the NCAA manual, as did the person who posted "Ref the defense, think like the offense"...so one thing from the manual is better than another?

Anyway, hope you had a nice nap on the drive and the game went well...

IREFU2 Wed Jan 18, 2006 03:20pm

Quote:

Ok...a question for tomegun: How do you know when there is a "match-up" to watch? I would bet it doesn't have anything to do with where an offensive player is standing...example: offensive player standing at head of key, without the ball, no defender within 10 feet - is that your match-up? It becomes a "match-up" when a defensive player starts making it competitive...and how do we know when that happens? Because we referee the defense and see that match-up start...like I said, "tomato" and "tuhmato" (just for you, Chuck...

And you really have no clue who on this board has done what, so throwing out comments like "your A level varsity/jv" labels really doesn't help anything...many of us on this board have "learned from the best" and continue to do so...the mentor you got "ref the match-up" from took it right out of the NCAA manual, as did the person who posted "Ref the defense, think like the offense"...so one thing from the manual is better than another?

Anyway, hope you had a nice nap on the drive and the game went well...

Hey Rock -

In a nutshell, all of the camps that I have been to have stressed refereeing the defense. It does a couple of things for me:

1. It keeps me from ball watching
2. It helps me get the correct call on the PC or B/C
3. It also helps with the Post play if you are in the lead
4. It has aided me in deciding on double fouls and illegal screens.

This is just a few instances. Off ball, no question, referee the defense.

rockyroad Wed Jan 18, 2006 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally posted by IREFU2

Hey Rock -

In a nutshell, all of the camps that I have been to have stressed refereeing the defense. It does a couple of things for me:

I agree...the point I was trying to make is that you, I, and tomegun are really saying the same thing...

IREFU2 Wed Jan 18, 2006 04:02pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by IREFU2

Hey Rock -

I agree...the point I was trying to make is that you, I, and tomegun are really saying the same thing...

Point taken.

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 18, 2006 05:55pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Little different tack

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Huk't on foniks, baby...works every time!

http://www.stopstart.btinternet.co.uk/nc/Crayon.gif

rainmaker Wed Jan 18, 2006 06:55pm

Tommy --

I won't embarass Rocky by telling you how high he's worked, but I'd bet a fairly large amount of money it's higher than you. I'm not saying that to play oneupsmanship, but just to say that you can't know from your computer in DC where others have been, or who they're working with. You may be very good, and very right, and Rocky may also be the same. Ya gotta admit, his description of finding the match-up is very helpful.

tomegun Thu Jan 19, 2006 02:22am

Quote:

Tommy --

I won't embarass Rocky by telling you how high he's worked, but I'd bet a fairly large amount of money it's higher than you. I'm not saying that to play oneupsmanship, but just to say that you can't know from your computer in DC where others have been, or who they're working with. You may be very good, and very right, and Rocky may also be the same. Ya gotta admit, his description of finding the match-up is very helpful.

I would be interested to know how high that level is. Not to compare, he is just here often and I don't have anything against anyone doing well in this business. More importantly, someone can't tell how good someone is on a computer, and I would go with the home team during an unbiased evaluation. Remember, the best don't always make it to the big time and those that are big time aren't always the best. I either get lucky everyday, or there is some skilled involved. EDIT - I just realized Rockyroad is on the women's side. A lot of differences exist...:) uh, yeah. All comparisons would be a big N/A.

Back on point. Yes, his description of finding the matchup is good, but that is part of my point. We find the matchup and we referee the matchup. It is just that simple and I'm still waiting for someone to post otherwise. I'm still assuming we still catch violations and other things the offensive player does, right? So you have offensive player and defensive player, sounds like a matchup to me. Now, when a drive takes place, sure I referee the defense. I'm not disagreeing with refereeing the defense, I'm just saying there is more involved than that. I've also said this - without a contradicting post - refereeing the defense fits inside of refereeing the matchup, but refereeing the matchup does not fit inside of refereeing the defense. If the terms were a different way of saying the same thing, I don't think that would be the case.

:D The ability to laugh at situations in life is priceless! :D

[Edited by tomegun on Jan 19th, 2006 at 02:53 AM]

rockyroad Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:37am

OK...I'll try one more time. Now I know I'm just a lowly Women's side ref, but here's the deal: "Ref the defense" is the broad, over-all picture..."ref the match-up" is the smaller brushstrokes that make up the picture...or here's another one: "ref the match-ups" is the individual puzzle pieces in our little jigsaw, while "ref the defense" is the picture on the box that we look at to know what we are putting together.

And as far as what levels I work - who cares?? What difference does it make. Some of the best posters on this board don't work anything above HS ball...some of the worst do work higher. Who cares? The only problem is when someone throws out another's opinions because they only work at this level or that level...

OklahomaRef Thu Jan 19, 2006 02:37pm

When I am the L official, or even the T when ball goes low in opposite corner, I just set my focus on my area, I watch the ball with my peripheral vision. I also talk to players and let them know (get out of lane, quit pushing) I have found that this makes it easier to focus on my "area"

tomegun Thu Jan 19, 2006 05:17pm

Quote:

OK...I'll try one more time. Now I know I'm just a lowly Women's side ref, but here's the deal: "Ref the defense" is the broad, over-all picture..."ref the match-up" is the smaller brushstrokes that make up the picture...or here's another one: "ref the match-ups" is the individual puzzle pieces in our little jigsaw, while "ref the defense" is the picture on the box that we look at to know what we are putting together.

And as far as what levels I work - who cares?? What difference does it make. Some of the best posters on this board don't work anything above HS ball...some of the worst do work higher. Who cares? The only problem is when someone throws out another's opinions because they only work at this level or that level...

I will try one more time too. I think totally opposite of you - "ref the defense" is the small brushstroke and "ref the match-up" is the larger picture. Are you saying that within "ref the defense" you have the match-up? The is contrary to what really takes place since "ref the defense" is a PART of refereeing the match-up. Can you explain further how "ref the match-up" is only part of "ref the defense?" I find it self explanatory how, while refereeing the match-up part of THAT big picture would be to ref the defense. Right now, it isn't making sense the other way around.

Since I started the part about level worked, I will apoligize for making a vague/general statement without clarification. My primary reason for making my comment wasn't to down anyone, it was directed at the fact that there are posters who spew fountains of knowledge and follow it up by literally saying they gather this from very little actual experience. It often prompts a - wince :rolleyes: - because a lot of people have actually been through several games to come on here and are told how to handle a situation by someone who hasn't experienced enough. I'm not talking about a particular situation with me, I see this happen often. I agree it doesn't take a D1 schedule to have knowledge, it also doesn't take a post count of 2000+. There are some people who seem to know so much; I would pay the price of admission to see them get from behind the computer and blow the whistle (not directed at anyone...right now :D).

rockyroad Thu Jan 19, 2006 05:31pm

Ok, so when there is no match-up (like I asked in an earlier post) what do you do? I find the defensive players in my area and watch them, because they will be the ones to create the match-up that I then focus on...when there is no longer a match-up, I go find the defenders in my area again until they create another match-up at which time I will ref that match-up until...oh good grief...betcha a hundred gazillion dollars that you and I referee the exact same way and call a very similiar game and are both just arrogant enough to think our way is right and the other's guy's isn't...

Kinda reminds me of Jurassic...:)

tomegun Thu Jan 19, 2006 09:01pm

Quote:

Ok, so when there is no match-up (like I asked in an earlier post) what do you do? I find the defensive players in my area and watch them, because they will be the ones to create the match-up that I then focus on...when there is no longer a match-up, I go find the defenders in my area again until they create another match-up at which time I will ref that match-up until...oh good grief...betcha a hundred gazillion dollars that you and I referee the exact same way and call a very similiar game and are both just arrogant enough to think our way is right and the other's guy's isn't...

Kinda reminds me of Jurassic...:)

Probably. I love to make off-ball calls. :D What you are saying makes perfect sense to me. I'm afraid that a younger official will take the term "ref the defense" to mean they should focus on the defense only (or end up getting sort of tunnel vision) during a match-up. That is the whole purpose of my debate. I agree with your post above.

coach41 Sun Jan 22, 2006 01:40am

Hey all,

As I started the thread, I guess I can "somewhat" end it. HEH. :D

Well, it's been over a week since I ref'ed that girls varsity game. My schedule was actually very light this week, until friday night (see my "overtime clock snafu thread" for more details).

In any case, I'd have to say I still have a lot to learn about "reffing the defense" or "reffing the matchups" or whatever term folks want to use.

As I had a few 7th/8th grade games in addition to my high school game, I worked on trying different things this weekend.

I'm afraid I did fall into the dreaded "tunnel vision" problem as I focused so hard on the defense that I occasionally didn't get clean looks at what the offensive team was doing. While I think my peripheral vision is decent, I think I don't quite trust myself enough to try and watch the offensive team/ball peripherally. I noticed I seem to get back into the habit of watching the ball when a player is driving to the basket.

In any case, thanks for the comments. I'll keep working on this and see what I can learn about myself.

IREFU2 Sun Jan 22, 2006 08:34am

Quote:

Originally posted by coach41
Hey all,

As I started the thread, I guess I can "somewhat" end it. HEH. :D

Well, it's been over a week since I ref'ed that girls varsity game. My schedule was actually very light this week, until friday night (see my "overtime clock snafu thread" for more details).

In any case, I'd have to say I still have a lot to learn about "reffing the defense" or "reffing the matchups" or whatever term folks want to use.

As I had a few 7th/8th grade games in addition to my high school game, I worked on trying different things this weekend.

I'm afraid I did fall into the dreaded "tunnel vision" problem as I focused so hard on the defense that I occasionally didn't get clean looks at what the offensive team was doing. While I think my peripheral vision is decent, I think I don't quite trust myself enough to try and watch the offensive team/ball peripherally. I noticed I seem to get back into the habit of watching the ball when a player is driving to the basket.

In any case, thanks for the comments. I'll keep working on this and see what I can learn about myself.

Keep trying, it will come to you. Rec ball and lower level games are the best way to do this. Dont feel bad, we all get tunnel vision sometime.

tomegun Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:59am

Coach41,

You might not ever make it big, and that might not even be a goal of yours, but I think you will become a fine official if for no other reason than your honesty. You are NOT the only official to get tunnel vision by focusing so much on the defense, and you will not be the last. I will join with you in saying I still have a lot to work on. The perfect game is somewhere out there, although I will probably never get to it. Keep pushing and keep learning. :D