The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Slow to inbound (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24252-slow-inbound.html)

closely_guarded Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:09pm

I would like to hear how you handle the following, i.e, your practical application of the rules (what exactly you do) when the following situation occurs:

Team B scores a basket late in the game. Team A, with the lead in the game, lets the ball roll around on the court and doesn't immediately pick the ball up and move to make a throw-in. How much time is too much and what exactly do you do?

Thanks

mick Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by closely_guarded
I would like to hear how you handle the following, i.e, your practical application of the rules (what exactly you do) when the following situation occurs:

Team B scores a basket late in the game. Team A, with the lead in the game, lets the ball roll around on the court and doesn't immediately pick the ball up and move to make a throw-in. How much time is too much and what exactly do you do?

Thanks

Where is the ball rolling "around on the court" ?

JRutledge Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:36pm

You can start the 5 second count when the ball is at the disposal of the team that is about to inbound the ball. Like Mick said, that would depend on where the ball was rolling around at.

Rule 6-1-2b.

Peace

lmeadski Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:49pm

I use an

"at their disposal" position: if they have the ability to secure the ball, but, are choosing to let more time click off the clock and let the ball sit, I will start my 5 count immediately (its amazing how quickly the coach screams to get the ball in). Otherwise, I usually start when they break the OOB line(moving from IB to OOB to start their throw-in) with control of the ball and face the court to throw in. If, the ball unintentionally rolls away and will put B at a disadvantage, I blow the whistle to stop play to secure the ball (especially in close game).

closely_guarded Mon Jan 16, 2006 01:34pm

In the case that prompted this thread, the ball was in the lane, about 5-6 feet from the baseline.

rainmaker Mon Jan 16, 2006 01:36pm

Re: I use an

Quote:

Originally posted by lmeadski
"at their disposal" position: if they have the ability to secure the ball, but, are choosing to let more time click off the clock and let the ball sit, I will start my 5 count immediately (its amazing how quickly the coach screams to get the ball in). Otherwise, I usually start when they break the OOB line(moving from IB to OOB to start their throw-in) with control of the ball and face the court to throw in. If, the ball unintentionally rolls away and will put B at a disadvantage, I blow the whistle to stop play to secure the ball (especially in close game).
Ditto.

rainmaker Mon Jan 16, 2006 01:37pm

Quote:

In the case that prompted this thread, the ball was in the lane, about 5-6 feet from the baseline.
Start the count. If it's available, and there's no one interfere-ing, then the count has to start. How they choose to use their five seconds is their business.

Junker Mon Jan 16, 2006 01:40pm

Re: I use an

Quote:

If, the ball unintentionally rolls away and will put B at a disadvantage, I blow the whistle to stop play to secure the ball (especially in close game).
How do you know when this puts B at a disadvantage? I understand where you're coming from in doing this, but where is this in the rules? If it unintentionally rolls away, it's B's responisiblity to hustle and go get it. I have to say the ball would really have to get away from a team for me to stop play on this.

mick Mon Jan 16, 2006 01:54pm

Quote:

closely_guarded,
I'll give Team A a coupla seconds, but then my count will start.
I will not use (not do I like) that mechanic of loudly verbalizing , "One!", to make Team B aware that my count has started.
mick

JRutledge Mon Jan 16, 2006 02:24pm

Re: Re: I use an

Quote:

Originally posted by Junker
How do you know when this puts B at a disadvantage? I understand where you're coming from in doing this, but where is this in the rules? If it unintentionally rolls away, it's B's responisiblity to hustle and go get it. I have to say the ball would really have to get away from a team for me to stop play on this.
I am not going to speak for someone else. I will only talk about what I would do. I am sure when he talks about unintentionally rolls away, I am sure the ball bounced off of someone or was kicked inadvertently to where a player could not get to the ball easily. In those cases you should use common sense and either stop the clock or not be in a big hurry to start you 5 second count. That is common sense officiating. I personally do not care what the rule says either way. Part of our job is to use some common sense and not to go out of our way to find a violation when something like this happens and is somewhat common.

Peace

lmeadski Mon Jan 16, 2006 02:35pm

Re: Re: I use an

Quote:

Quote:

If, the ball unintentionally rolls away and will put B at a disadvantage, I blow the whistle to stop play to secure the ball (especially in close game).

I don't know if it is in the rules. However, we've all seen times when the ball caroms off someone and rolls to the bleachers, half court, etc. This is a common sense call. If we started the count when the made ball hit the floor and the ball bounced away, they may not be able to even retrieve it in 5 seconds, let alone inbound it.

Junker Mon Jan 16, 2006 03:14pm

That all makes sense. I was just playing a little devil's advocate and looking for some clarification.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 16, 2006 03:43pm

Re: Re: Re: I use an

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How do you know when this puts B at a disadvantage? I understand where you're coming from in doing this, but <font color = red>where is this in the rules</font>? If it unintentionally rolls away, it's B's responisiblity to hustle and go get it. I have to say the ball would really have to get away from a team for me to stop play on this.

I don't know if it is in the rules. However, we've all seen times when the ball caroms off someone and rolls to the bleachers, half court, etc. This is a common sense call. If we started the count when the made ball hit the floor and the ball bounced away, they may not be able to even retrieve it in 5 seconds, let alone inbound it.

Rule 5-8-2(c) gives you the authority to stop the play, and Case book play 4.42.3 tells you how to proceed with the throw-in.

Junker Mon Jan 16, 2006 04:38pm

Thanks JR. I knew I had seen that somewhere. Like I said, I was in search of clarity. My quest on this thread is complete.