The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Boy's H.S. Varsity Game. I am the lead. A pass goes into the corner to A-1 who drives the baseline. As he appraoches the rim he is too close to the baseline. He now leaves his feet and jumps towards the foul line to have any chance to throw up a shot. B-1 jumps within his vertical plane to defend. A-1 causes the contact on B-1's chest. Tweet! We are going the other way, player control foul. This happened in front of the home team's bench. Coach screams, "that's a horrible call!" I tried to explain the call and quickly saw that I wasn't getting anywhere. He said, "he left his feet." Jeez! I give up!
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

I never respond verbally to a coach making a comment. Just questions.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Verticality. Good call. When I was a player I had the same thing happen when I was on defense. I ended up with a cut lip and a foul to show for my efforts. My general observation of sports: The offense gets away with murder.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 04:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
Good Call Ref !!! In fact, if the player jumps like that under the backboard with no where to go and the defensive player hits him....I'm probably going to let it go ...."Coach, he was out of control...I'm not bailing him out!"
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 05:45am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc
Coach screams, "that's a horrible call!" I tried to explain the call and quickly saw that I wasn't getting anywhere. He said, "he left his feet." Jeez! I give up!
Let me get this straight, you made a completely correct call, the coach then SCREAMED "that's a horrible call", and your response was to attempt to explain your call to him?

Furthermore, when he wasn't interested in listening you just left and did nothing?

Does he have to throw a chair at you before you call a T?

Please tell me that this wasn't a HS game, but rather some silly rec ball contest.

Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 06:08am
Do not give a damn!!

Nevada,

Are you saying that a coach simply saying "That's a horrible call" should have a T?

Peace
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Not quite. I'm saying that the coach SCREAMING "That's a horrible call" should have been a T.

Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

I am in the process of changing my name from John W. Crow to Horrible C. Crow ("C" for Call). That way at least the Coaches will be properly addressing me during games.

They'll scream, "Horrible Call!"

And I'll reply, "Yes?"
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

great call

I find that to be a very challenging call to call in the first place, and get it right. Usually, as those kids go up in their vertical plain, they tend to bring their arms towards the shooter, losing their good vertical position. As far as the coach yelling, so what. Ignore him. Most coaches don't understand the verticality concept. A similar call happened in one of our games by my partner. Similar earful by the coach. He turned to him and said, "Verticality, coach." I know the coach heard him, but looked confused. I think he was afraid of embarrassing himself by asking, "Verticality? What's that?"
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Texas Aggie. That's not a question and I wouldn't respond. As far as a T or not, it depends on a lot. If it's not all that loud, ignore it. If it's loud and shows you up, give the stop sign and let the coach know he needs to calm down. If you've already had issues with the coach, call the T.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
I agree with Texas Aggie. That's not a question and I wouldn't respond. As far as a T or not, it depends on a lot. If it's not all that loud, ignore it. If it's loud and shows you up, give the stop sign and let the coach know he needs to calm down. If you've already had issues with the coach, call the T.
Perhaps screams was too harsh a word. As mentioned the call was in front of his bench. As I approached the scorer's table he let me know that he disagreed with the call. BTW, so did the predominantly home crowd (who cares). It was the first time he chirped all night and he is known as a howler. As far as I was concerned, a T wasn't even thought of. It didn't rise to the occasion! Thanks for your responses.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 11:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc
Boy's H.S. Varsity Game. I am the lead. A pass goes into the corner to A-1 who drives the baseline. As he appraoches the rim he is too close to the baseline. He now leaves his feet and jumps towards the foul line to have any chance to throw up a shot. B-1 jumps within his vertical plane to defend. A-1 causes the contact on B-1's chest. Tweet! We are going the other way, player control foul. This happened in front of the home team's bench. Coach screams, "that's a horrible call!" I tried to explain the call and quickly saw that I wasn't getting anywhere. He said, "he left his feet." Jeez! I give up!
How badly was B1 displaced? From the description, it sounds like a no call would be possible here, too.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 11:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Not quite. I'm saying that the coach SCREAMING "That's a horrible call" should have been a T.

If I T'd up every time a coach said that or something like that to me or my partners I would have a T every game.

I guess we all have our different tolerance levels.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

I find this interesting

because I rarely hear what the coaches and fans are saying! I guess I can't concentrate on my calls and listen to the fans/coaches, too.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Ohhhhhhhhhh Rainmaker... where are you??? Would this situation be appropriate for the "Thank You" response?