The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 08:20pm
We don't rent pigs

Recently at a local high school a couple of girls championship teams from the late 50's were recognized. The players were introduced individually and were separated by positions, guards were introduced first, then forwards. In the halfcourt game, were the girls limited to one position or the other, or could they play both positions in the same game? I see this, especially in small schools with not many players, as a big deal. This could provide a coaching chess game in the final minute or two to pull the star player from one end, call timeout, and put her back in on the other end. Was this legal, and if so, was it ever done? The first girls games I remember had 6 players, but 2 on each end, and 2 rovers. I'm told this was only used for a very few years. Anybody here old enough or historically up-to-date enough to answer these questions?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 09:54pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I remember the rovers. Never saw the 3 & 3 set up that was last used in Iowa, I believe. I think when I was in 5th grade I witnessed the final year of the 6 on 6 you describe. I graduated 8th grade in 1971, so that would be 1967-68 as the final year of that format. At least here in VT.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Not sure about the call on this, but you might check with the people here: http://www.grannybasketball.com/

They play 6 on 6 put someone there might remember or have played 3 on 3 and have some information for you.

There's a nice article about the Granny League here: http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pb...plate=printart
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

I remember watching 6 on 6, they did away with it soon after I graduated. Our PE teacher (and boys coach) would make us play it in PE on occasion. I hated it. Also, the nation's all-time leading scorer (at one time, the record may have changed) played in our conference and I though 6 on 6 was boring to watch. She was about 5 inches taller than anyone that guarded her so all she did was catch and shoot in the post. I remember once she came in and her team scored 72, she had 68. I can see why some liked the novelty of it, but I think it hurt some good athletes because they might have been able to play college if they needed all of the different basketball skills, rather than just offense or defense.

[Edited by Junker on Jan 16th, 2006 at 10:08 AM]
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by hooper
Not sure about the call on this, but you might check with the people here: http://www.grannybasketball.com/

They play 6 on 6 put someone there might remember or have played 3 on 3 and have some information for you.

There's a nice article about the Granny League here: http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pb...plate=printart
Hooper, it was 3 on 3 at one end, and then a different 3 on 3 at the other end, which is the same as 6 on 6.