The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I always thought there was more info on jerseys that can be worn outside in the rule or case book but can't find it. I thought I remembered seeing something at one time that said the bottom of the jersey had to have a border or a V cut on the side. All I see is jerseys made by the manufacturer to be worn outside. We have a team that had what appears to be the tags moved from the outside to the inside, they said these jersey were made to be worn outside. They look like normal jersys just with the size tag on the inside. Now while I am not the fashion police, I did think there was more to this than what I am reading. Any help would be appreciated... Thanks..
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy No help?

All this knowledge and 47 views, but no thoughts...hmmm. I am disapointed. I can't believe there is no input on this one...
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Self, sorry to be so inattentive to your request.

My advice: check the rule book. I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Shirt Police

Too lazy to look it up but.... I believe shirts are to be worn as the manufacturer intended them to be worn. So I asked someone about that and they said if it has a hem it can be worn outside, not tucked in.

I really enjoy the shirt police. Their rightneous (sp) , their perserverance in running down players to scold them about "the untucked rule". Their total focus on shirts and all that an untucked shirt means in the captains meeting.

I believe there should be a society for people who are shirt obsessed.

Their is nothing more satisfying to me than to have a partner who is a member of the shirt police. We could be doing BJV, it's physical, 4th qtr action, the fans are filing in for the big Varsity Conference match-up, it's a 2 point game, the Varsity Refs are watching us, the game is on the verge of getting away from us, then my partner with 9 seconds on the clock blows a loud and strong whistle "Tweet", oh he must have caught something off-ball , no. My time out he says.........and we have , the appearance of the SHIRT POLice.

I smile and my heart is warm, all is right in the world. #22 was potentially untucked and well we got it covered coach-not to worry.

Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Wow, great enlightenment Dan ref:

Self, sorry to be so inattentive to your request.
My advice: check the rule book. I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

I think I mentioned in my post:

I always thought there was more info on jerseys that can be worn outside in the rule or case book but can't find it. I wouldn't have posted without looking for it first!

Wow, most would read into that post , hey he did check the rule book and case book. What a novelty....I think that was my first sentence.....

Then Chess Refs input:

Too lazy to look it up but.... I believe shirts are to be worn as the manufacturer intended them to be worn. So I asked someone about that and they said if it has a hem it can be worn outside, not tucked in.

I ask WHAT Shirt doesn't have a hem in it. I don't recall ever buying any shirt that doesn't have a hem at the botton. Do they even sell shirts like that?

Listen guys, I have looked, in the rule book, in the case book, and in the illustrated book. nothing more than I have said. I know case plays change over the years and I just always thought there was more to it than what it says now. Just asking, must have been a bad night on the floor for some!

Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 07:42am
In Memoriam

The only reference in the rules is R3-4-15-- "A team jersey designed to be worn inside the pants/skirt shall be tucked inside the pants/skirt..". Iow, if you think that the shirts are long enough to be tucked in, tell the little sh!ts to tuck 'em in. If, in your judgement, the shirts are too short to tuck in or stay tucked in, then just call 'em shirts that are designed to be untucked and let the kids play that way. No big deal. It's not a bad idea to inform the opposing coach though, before his players decide that they also want to play with their shirts untucked or he whines about it.

There has never been anything more than that formally listed in the rules as far as I know.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Rules Reference

rule 3, section 4, Art 15 addresses this.Also rule 3 ,section 5, Art 3 ,discusses equipment has to be worn as the manufacturer intends.

So where did the "tuck" rule come from ? I dunno but I suspect the same people who tuck in their polo shirts into their Dockers had something to with this interpertaion.

Oh if all the players were like John Stockton we wouldn't have these "issues".
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Self, I think the lack of responses to your post is an indication that there isn't that concrete answer you're looking for. Sorry.

You want to solve the problem once and for all? Make the NC State "unitard" mandatory!!
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Thanks to all

Thanks, and I agree no concrete answer. I just thought I remembered seeing in an old case play more info on this. I guess it has been replace with other plays as they change the case book. Oh well, not a big deal since it really is low on my totem pole of priorties, just thought there was more.. Thanks though...
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

If it looks like a normal jersey, have 'em tuck it in.

Jerseys that are meant to be worn outside are shorter than normal jerseys and usually have a border or other design device near the bottom of the jersey. As was pointed out, they may also have a V notch on the side.

You'll know them when you see them. Having the size label on the inside is not usually enough.

Just remember that the very fabric of the universe depends on basketball players keeping their jerseys tucked in. Be ever vigilant.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
Just remember that the very fabric of the universe depends on basketball players keeping their jerseys tucked in.
Is that b/c the jerseys are made from the fabric of the universe? They just look like polyester to me. . .
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
You guys can make fun of the tuck rule if you want to. I don't think it's a big deal, either. But my assignor does, and until I know for sure that it won't show up on my eval, I'll be a card-carrying member ofthe "shirt police." Not a battle I'm willing to lose my varsity status over.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

rainmaker

If I had varsity status, the untucked shirt is not something I would lose my varsity status over.

It just brings a smile to my lips and a warm feeling in my heart to see 55 YO men chasing 15 YO urban kids around the court and doing inspections to see if the shirt is tucked in. Sometimes,as a bonus, a discussion will break out between said partner and kid about if the shirt can be tucked in but look untucked. Kind of an overlap deal. Hanging tie strings -well don't wanna hijack this thread......

My all time favorite happened at a JR High tourney this last weekend. Partner was a fraternal brother of yours and the richness of it all was the back of his shirt was out all day. And I mean all day.. When I needed a smile ,him and his shirt provided it. I just could not talk myself into telling him. I was being a bad partner. LOL
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Re: Shirt Police

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref
We could be doing BJV, it's physical, 4th qtr action, the fans are filing in for the big Varsity Conference match-up, it's a 2 point game, the Varsity Refs are watching us, the game is on the verge of getting away from us, then my partner with 9 seconds on the clock blows a loud and strong whistle "Tweet", oh he must have caught something off-ball , no. My time out he says.........and we have , the appearance of the SHIRT POLice.
Why aren't the varsity refs in the officials room doing their pre-game? (this is where a winky thing should be inserted...)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chess Ref
Kind of an overlap deal. Hanging tie strings

Although I am something of a slaggard when it comes to enforcing the shirt tuck, I am the Lieutenant Colonel of the Tie String Tuck Police. The shirt tuck is for cosmetics and appearances; the tie string can be, and is, a safety issue. Fingers/hands DO get caught in dangling tie strings. Get 'em tucked or be sure to have your liability insurance premiums paid up....
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

game Ran Over

In defense of the varsity refs,the game ran over so i am assuming they did their pre-game. There are no set hours for the shirt police. If we don't stop them kids now the next thing you know they will be having inappropriate thoughts and listening to Elvis and the Beatles.

I understand the concerns around the current epidemic of tie string incidents but really how many of us had something of noteworthy happen ?

I once voiced my concerns to a former girlfriend about her KAT wearing a collar and the possibility of it hanging itself on a fence, she then asked me when was the last time I saw a KAT swinging ,dead,from a fence or other hanging apparatus ? (insert sarcastic and bitter smiley face here)

PS I am just a Private in the irrelevance army.