The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

I am a new official, and I found myself in a quandry the other night. My partner called for a white out-of-bounds, knocked out by black. Black called a timeout, and we administered it, went to our spots, and waited for the one minute to pass. My mind was filled with recent plays, calls, etc.....anyway, we both forgot whose ball it was. We knew that black called the timeout and that kinda of confused the issue. Any specials ways, tricks, or home remedies to help to remember that, other than the book? Thanks, ahead of time...Skarecrow
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 02:48pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Skarecrow
I am a new official, and I found myself in a quandry the other night. My partner called for a white out-of-bounds, knocked out by black. Black called a timeout, and we administered it, went to our spots, and waited for the one minute to pass. My mind was filled with recent plays, calls, etc.....anyway, we both forgot whose ball it was. We knew that black called the timeout and that kinda of confused the issue. Any specials ways, tricks, or home remedies to help to remember that, other than the book? Thanks, ahead of time...Skarecrow
A good mechanic is to hold the ball on the side of the body in the direction the ball will be going after the throw-in.
(eg.Official facing benches with ball going to the left, will hold the ball on the left hip. Official standing on the endline facing the other basket with the ball held behind him indicates the ball will remain in the front court for a throw-in.)
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
A good mechanic is to hold the ball on the side of the body in the direction the ball will be going after the throw-in.
I believe that the FED's mechanic for TO's is for the officials to go to the blocks. But in MA, we use the old mechanic: one official at the midcourt line and the other official at the spot of the throw-in, with the ball pointing in the direction in which play will resume.

We do this for exactly the reason that Skarecrow mentions. It helps the crew remember what's going on, and it also communicates to the teams what will happen after the TO. I don't know why the FED went away from it.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Having screwed that same thing up...the one absolute thing I do, is announce to my partner who gets the ball and where, before I grant the time out.

Same if a time out is called before a free throw is taken...who is the shooter, and how many shots.

Hearing yourself say it seems to make it stick in my memory better.

The chance of both of you going brain dead, I've found, is pretty small.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

As soon as your partner finishes reporting the TO, get eye contact and confirm with him who's ball and where. Like already said, hold the ball on you hip for the direction your heading. If you are also a football ref, keep a notepad in your shirt pocket and make a note to yourself. OK, nevermind the last idea.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 03:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
I believe that the FED's mechanic for TO's is for the officials to go to the blocks.
Yes, in two-whistle, go to the blocks, or to the top of the circles (the Bubbles?!! ), with the ball favoring the direction of the throw-in.
But with three-whistles there aren't enough blocks on the floor.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 03:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
As soon as your partner finishes reporting the TO, get eye contact and confirm with him who's ball and where. Like already said, hold the ball on you hip for the direction your heading. If you are also a football ref, keep a notepad in your shirt pocket and make a note to yourself. OK, nevermind the last idea.
ChrisSportsFan,
We do that, too.
Further, I like to make eye contact and remind partner after reporting to the table. Lotsa back-up mechanics in place to prevent the embrassment of going the wrong way.
Whether is was two or three times, I know I've done it too much.
mick
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
Having screwed that same thing up...the one absolute thing I do, is announce to my partner who gets the ball and where, before I grant the time out.

Same if a time out is called before a free throw is taken...who is the shooter, and how many shots.

The same for me except I do it after I grant/whistle/signal the timeout.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

BEFORE and AFTER reporting the TO, say "white ball" on the sideline/baseline and point to the spot. If you say it at least twice, chances are pretty good you won't forget it.

Thus, we have (playing, ball goes out of bounds), [whistle] "white ball." "Hey, ref, time out." [Whistle] "Time out, blue. White ball out of bounds, sideline."

(Reporting) "Time out blue, 30 seconds, start the clock."

(Look toward partner/s) "White ball, sideline throw in."
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown

Right on!
... and if you are the "other' official and partner DOESN'T do this - make the entire crew look good by asking the other " Where and Who coming back"?
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
One trick I use is put a coin or something in your pocket and put it in the pocket to where the ball is going. If you dont have a coin you could just pull out a pocket but it doesnt look to good.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Listen to Mick, when you get to be his age, you need every trick in the book to remember things such as whose ball it is!! If you hold the ball in the direction it is going, you will not forget. Another advanced "ball holding" mechanic is to stand with your legs further apart if they can run the end line. No jokes please.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 10:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe
Listen to Mick, when you get to be his age, you need every trick in the book to remember things such as whose ball it is!! If you hold the ball in the direction it is going, you will not forget. Another advanced "ball holding" mechanic is to stand with your legs further apart if they can run the end line. No jokes please.
Go fish !
And I'm naturally bow-legged.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

I do the ball under arm trick. The coin in the pocket is for alternating possession.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

I don't like to hold the ball on my hip because I think it looks lazy, I always hold the ball between my two hands or hold it in one without the use of my hip. This is just my opinion and its a small thing. I don't use any technique to remember who gets the ball, I have never had a problem. If for some reason I did forget I would wait for a player to come get it.