The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a rec level coach and fledgling referee. What exactly do you assess a technical foul for... or put in a different way - What do you let coaches say and not say?

Is it foul language, volume, frequency of comments, all, none?

Thanks!
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

The Three P's

Someone on this board told me to use the three P's.

If it's profane, persistent or personal....

Profane or personal ones seem to be the easiest to deal with. personally it is the persistent ones that are a little harder to deal with.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 04:49pm
In Memoriam

Or the fourth "P"...

If the coach pisses you off.....
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks! So for persistent... is that persistent complaining?
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

A wise man once said, "If you go home after the game and think, 'I should have given out a T,' YOU SHOULD HAVE GIVEN A T."
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

I'm new to officiating, but my inclination is to call technicals on any coach that sets a bad example for her/his team (questioning calls, complaining, constantly yelling and persistently giving instruction at every step - pivot! pass! shoot!). My feeling is that many coaches treat rec ball like it's a matter of life and death, which puts a lot of pressure on the kids and makes the experience unpleasurable.

Having said that (I have not given any Ts yet), I cannot give a T to a coach for yelling instructions to his/her team or just for being crazy howler monkey.

I'm trying to find the line. How many calls can a coach question? Do you give a T to a kid for repeatedly questioning calls?
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

hooper

yes. It is referring to persistent complaining.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

You will learn as you work with more experienced partners. Watch them and incorporate parts of how they do things if it works for you. Also, you can watch games where more experienced officials are working.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Quote:
A wise man once said, "If you go home after the game and think, 'I should have given out a T,' YOU SHOULD HAVE GIVEN A T."
what if you go home and thinks "I should have given to more T's and an unsporting (on the same team)"
I did that once, but the ref (I was U and gave a T in the 8th minute 1Q, and he deserved it) was more like "warn them once, then T em up" so she said "I'll take care of it" and warned a guy 8 times (with my 2 that's 10 total then) I looked at her almost saying, "enough is enough, T him" she didn't do anything bbut saying "stop it, I'll hand out a T soon I mean it", she warned another 4 times- I gave up

The unsporting was a clear push straight in the back, open in the field, nobody really reacted when the call game, but I never made it unsporting, I think I should now really, the T's I can live with, but that could have been dangerous.

Always something to learn from though
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

I think Chess Ref's advice is right on target with the 3 P's. Definitely, put a stop to the "persistant" complaining. I've seen this contaminate the attitutde of the kids countless times. They start to feel that they are getting cheated and then they go "haywire" on you. I've gone to the point of stopping the game and bringing both Coaches over to the Table and warning them to knock off the constant comaplining for the rest of the contest.