The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

What's constitutes a legal knee brace? Had a player in a HS game that had a large knee brace. On the outside and inside of the brace there are small 1/4" rivets that allow the hard plastic hinges to flex. Hard plastic legal? Exposed rivets, even smooth ones, legal? Since I told her she had to cover it with some padding I'd like to know if I was wrong.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
SECTION 5 TEAM MEMBER'S EQUIPMENT, APPAREL
The referee shall not permit any team member to wear equipment or apparel which, in his/her judgment, is dangerous or confusing to other players or is not appropriate. Examples of illegal items include, but are not limited to:
ART. 1 . . . Illegal guards, casts or braces.

a. A guard, cast or brace made of hard and unyielding leather, plaster, pliable (soft) plastic, metal or any other hard substance may not be worn on the elbow, hand, finger, wrist or forearm; even though covered with soft padding.
b. Hard and unyielding items (guards, casts, braces, etc.) on the upper arm or shoulder must be padded.
c. Knee and ankle braces are permitted but all exposed hinges must be covered. Most over-sleeves recommended by manufacturers are acceptable. These braces may be padded or unpadded.

The key is line C.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

In the same game one of the coach's complained that the other team should not be permitted to wear knee pads-much like the ones that Volleyball Players wear. At a time out I privately asked my partner "what have we got ourselves into". We allowed the knee pads-sorry about being stupid about this but are knee pads allowed?
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by twref
In the same game one of the coach's complained that the other team should not be permitted to wear knee pads-much like the ones that Volleyball Players wear. At a time out I privately asked my partner "what have we got ourselves into". We allowed the knee pads-sorry about being stupid about this but are knee pads allowed?
Knee pads are no problem.