The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

I know I have read this situation on this site in the past, but I need some confirmation.
I saw it in the SC-Tenn game on Sunday, and had it happened in a HS game I was officiating tonight.
The ball is loose in the frontcourt. A1 while trying to retrieve it, slaps at it. His momentum carries him out of bounds on the endline. The ball stays in play. He then steps back in bounds, and is the first person to touch it. Is that a violation - or one of those myth plays that fans yell about but don't know the rule (ex - you can't retrieve your own shot, slapping the backboard is an automatic technical, ball is out of play when it hits the top of the backboard, etc.).
I thought I read on this site that it was a legal play. But the official in the SC-Tenn game (Pat Adams) called it a violation, and the college official I was with tonight called it a violation.
Note: In both situations, the player did not intentionally go out of bounds to avoid a defender (while dribbling stepping out to avoid a defender). His momentum simply carried him out, and he did not have control of the ball.
What is the correct call?
What if he did have control of the ball? (Dribbling, falls out of bounds, and comes back in). What would be the call in that situation?
Thanks for your help.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

7-1 AR-1 says they both kicked it.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 05:22am
Huck Finn

I agree, they kicked it. I think some people have interpreted this rule the wrong way. The rule says it is a violation if they go out of bounds on their own volition, which means "The act or an instance of making a conscious choice or decision." I had a similar situation at the beginning of last season and a final four ref told me I should have called a violation. The defensive player made a great play and his momentum took him out of bounds. He came back in bounds, came back in to get the ball and shot an uncontested layup. Cleary, I don't think he went out of bounds on his own volition because he wanted to get the ball and the layup.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 06:05am
Official Forum Member

Perfectly legal.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 08:22am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by sc/nc ref
...The ball is loose in the frontcourt. A1 while trying to retrieve it, slaps at it. His momentum carries him out of bounds on the endline....
May I suppose A1's feet were definitely in bounds at the slap ?

Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What if he did have control of the ball? (Dribbling, falls out of bounds, and comes back in). What would be the call in that situation?
Thanks for your help.
If A1 is dribbling and his momentum carries him off the court and he doesn't touch the ball with 2 hands the player may come back inbounds and either continue the dribble or pick it up.

If A1 is holding the ball and falling out of bounds then it depends if he established a pivot foot. If a pivot foot is established then he has to throw it to the ground before he lifts the pivot foot. If he jumps in the air and comes back in then it would be a traveling violation.

An easy way to think of this play is to take the out of bounds line out of the equation and determine if the player could do the same thing in the middle of the court. You wouldn't let a player holding the ball in the middle of the court, jump in the air, throw it to the ground and let him touch it again, would you?
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
[B]
Quote:
...The ball is loose in the frontcourt. A1 while trying to retrieve it, slaps at it. His momentum carries him out of bounds on the endline....
May I suppose A1's feet were definitely in bounds at the slap ?

Yes, both feet were in bounds during the slap of the ball.