The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

I am suffering from brain lock and need some help here.

1. Jump ball to start the game. Clock should start when someone other than the jumpers touch the ball ?

2. GJV . Under the basket player A goes up for shot, feet never leave the ground, Player B temporarily ,like less than 1 second,puts a hand on the ball, Player than reloads and partner calls a jump ball. I no called it because her feet never left the ground and the block was more of a touch. Is my thinking a no call correct ?
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 11:10am
MABO Member

1) Yes

2) I got no call as per your description. Otherwise a jump would work depending on how the play was seen. Why were both of you watching the ball anyway?

Smoke

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 11:20am
In Memoriam

Whoa!!!

The clock starts when one of the jumpers legally touches the ball, not one of the non-jumpers. R5-9-2.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 11:21am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref

1. Jump ball to start the game. Clock should start when someone other than the jumpers touch the ball ?

2. GJV . Under the basket player A goes up for shot, feet never leave the ground, Player B temporarily ,like less than 1 second,puts a hand on the ball, Player than reloads and partner calls a jump ball. I no called it because her feet never left the ground and the block was more of a touch. Is my thinking a no call correct ?
1. Clock starts on first touch by a jumper.

2. Defender prevents a release hadta see it. It's a judgement call.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

I thought the clock started when the tossed ball was legally touched. 5-9-2

Unless your partner thought that the defender's hand was firmly on the ball, I think a no-call is appropriate

Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 11:32am
MABO Member

Misread original post.

1) Ball becomes live when it leaves the officials hand, however the clock does not start until it is touched.

2) Judgement call as I said before.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref

On question #2, I have a jump ball, feet dont have to leave the ground. Did the ball leave her hand at all or did she actually have it and the other girl touched it?
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 11:58am
In Memoriam

The definition of a "held ball" sez that opponents have their hands so firmly on the ball that control cannot be obtained without undue roughness. You know- undue roughness like maybe throwing an opponent to the floor.

Anyway,in this play, if the hand on the ball didn't stop the shooter from "reloading", I can't see how you could call a held ball. You call a held ball when neither player can do anything with the ball- which doesn't really sound like what happened in this play.

Of course, I'm guessing- the same as everyone else. It always remains a judgement call by the calling official as to whether the ball was held firmly enough that the shooter couldn't do anything further with it.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Two years ago, A1 was taking a hook. B1 got inside inside of him and "jammed" the ball. A1's foot was on the floor. No question.

A1 recovered the ball instantly and passed it.

I "No Called" it. Coach blew up. It was my only "T" that year. I thought I was correct but you guys are giving me doubts? To me, it doesn't meet the criteria for a Held Ball if the grounded offensive player is merely prevented ("jammed") from making the attempt.

Hope I was right.......
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

More Specifically

Okay thanks for the feedback and the rules reference on the jump ball/ start clock.

On the second question so the feet have nothing to do with it being a jump ball. My thinking is Player A goes up for shot, player B blocks shot , Player A comes back down to floor both players still have hands on ball ,Jump Ball. So I was thinking never left floor no jump ball.

I believe I got this no call correct for the wrong reasons. LOL
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Easy questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
The definition of a "held ball" sez that opponents have their hands so firmly on the ball that control cannot be obtained without undue roughness. You know- undue roughness like maybe throwing an opponent to the floor.
Would you have a call if an opponent had a firm grip on the ball and threw an opponent to the floor?
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I just looked in my rule book for language that I thought I remembered -- "preventing a release on a shot." It's there alright, but it applies only to an airborne shooter. So in replying to the original post, I'd say P missed it, and OP got it right.