The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 11:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
I always do it for V games. In one instance, the visiting coach noticed a discrepancy in the numbers in the official (home) book. We checked and the visiting number had been copied wrong. We had it corrected and started the game. My philosophy is that the visitors are required to submit correct numbers. If they are copied wrong, then there should be no penalty. This all goes under the heading of preventive officiating. As was mentioned above, it shows the coaches that you are making sure things are correct and it gives you an opportunity to make contact with the coaches.
Actually, in this case it's not a "philosophy" and it's also got nuthin' to do with "preventive officiating". It's just simply the rule. As per NFHS rule 10-1, all either team is required to do is supply the official scorer with their roster and starters at least 10 minutes before the start of the game. All we do is make sure that they comply with that provision. Anything further, such as this, is a "scorer's mistake" that can be corrected at any time.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Glad to see the Fed rules makers are on the same page as me!
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
I have never done that. Normally the home coach has his starters listed in the Official Book and the visiting coach has his starters listed in his unofficial book and the two are compared. Now if he starts the wrong guys, than that his fault and his T!
Actually, that's not HIS T, it's a team T, and is NOT charged to the HC, directly or indirectly.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

how about asking at the meeting with the coach: "Coach, you happy with how the players and starters in the book?" Right before the "Are your players properly equipped and will they exhibit sporting behaviour" question. Or right after. Whichever you want.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Check the book early.

We used to have a coach in our conference that would identify problems in the book before the game started (Visiting coach has not listed his players or not identified starters). Then the coach would occupy the visiting coach in small talk etcetera until the officials show up somewhere past the 10 minute mark. He would then, with a dung-eating grin, demand a Technical foul to start the game. (True Sportmanship!)

So I have made it a habit to check the book before the 10 minute mark - say 11-12 minutes, and to request corrections be made if the book is not complete before I am placed in a position requiring a T. It has worked well.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Re: Check the book early.

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
We used to have a coach in our conference that would identify problems in the book before the game started (Visiting coach has not listed his players or not identified starters). Then the coach would occupy the visiting coach in small talk etcetera until the officials show up somewhere past the 10 minute mark. He would then, with a dung-eating grin, demand a Technical foul to start the game. (True Sportmanship!)

So I have made it a habit to check the book before the 10 minute mark - say 11-12 minutes, and to request corrections be made if the book is not complete before I am placed in a position requiring a T. It has worked well.
I agree. I usually go to the table right around the 12:00 minute mark.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

I hope you responded to that coach with "Coach, basketball is a competitive sport played between two competing teams, not an exercise in trickery and technicalities by coaches. Not only am I not T'ing the other coach, but I am warning you that that kind of unsportsmanlike conduct in trying to create a T might just get you one. I dont want to see that again. Lets play basketball, shall we?"
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Of course, as stated, checking the book as recommended at the 12 minute mark is always best. I'm with you guys on that.