The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 10:35am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 944
I haven't seen this here before. We had a visiting player (9th grade boys) show up yesterday wearing a tracheotomy tube, and one of the officials said he was uncomfortable allowing the kid to play.

Apparently the kid has worn this device practically from birth. The device is a soft plastic tube that protrudes maybe 1/2" from the front of the kid's neck attached with a cloth around the neck. No bodily fluids are expelled from the tube.

After being told that the league director had approved this device and that the kid has played with it for years, the official allowed the game to begin. The other official did not express any reservations at any time.

To me this is like a kid wearing eyeglasses with a strap. It could be hazardous, but it is allowed.

Has any one dealt with this before, or can anyone shed some light on what their association would rule?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 10:42am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
Arrow

For me, it remains totally unacceptable to put an official in such a precarious position.

If the kid is allowed to play, show me the paperwork!
He said, she said is really uncomfortable, because he said, she said is too often misquoted.

mick
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 10:53am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
For me, it remains totally unacceptable to put an official in such a precarious position.

If the kid is allowed to play, show me the paperwork!
He said, she said is really uncomfortable, because he said, she said is too often misquoted.

mick
Amen!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 10:54am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,673
Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
For me, it remains totally unacceptable to put an official in such a precarious position.

If the kid is allowed to play, show me the paperwork!
He said, she said is really uncomfortable, because he said, she said is too often misquoted.

mick
Amen!
I concur!
__________________
Score the Basket!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 11:03am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
For me, it remains totally unacceptable to put an official in such a precarious position.

If the kid is allowed to play, show me the paperwork!
He said, she said is really uncomfortable, because he said, she said is too often misquoted.

mick
Amen!
I agree with mick!
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 11:50am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,614
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
I haven't seen this here before. We had a visiting player (9th grade boys) show up yesterday wearing a tracheotomy tube, and one of the officials said he was uncomfortable allowing the kid to play.

Apparently the kid has worn this device practically from birth. The device is a soft plastic tube that protrudes maybe 1/2" from the front of the kid's neck attached with a cloth around the neck. No bodily fluids are expelled from the tube.

After being told that the league director had approved this device and that the kid has played with it for years, the official allowed the game to begin. The other official did not express any reservations at any time.

To me this is like a kid wearing eyeglasses with a strap. It could be hazardous, but it is allowed.

Has any one dealt with this before, or can anyone shed some light on what their association would rule?
If I was faced with such a situation without knowing anything about it, I would certainly react the same way. Uncomfortable? Who wouldn't be?

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 9th, 2006 at 12:46 PM]
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 10
Back when I was coaching I had a player with a shunt. It was to help drain fluid from the brain. I always kept the medical documentation with me clearing him to play.

The other night I had a player with a hard cast. During warmup I call him over to look at his hand. Under the tape is a hard cast. I tell the coach he can't play. He says to me but he has played the last six games and no one stopped him. The kid walks over to the bench and takes the cast off and retapes his hand. I was stunned.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,466
Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by dpk933
Back when I was coaching I had a player with a shunt. It was to help drain fluid from the brain. I always kept the medical documentation with me clearing him to play.

The other night I had a player with a hard cast. During warmup I call him over to look at his hand. Under the tape is a hard cast. I tell the coach he can't play. He says to me but he has played the last six games and no one stopped him. The kid walks over to the bench and takes the cast off and retapes his hand. I was stunned.
Classic!!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 944
Thanks for your responses.

Are you concerned about your own safety, or the player's safety or the safety of the other players? Are you looking for documentation from the player's doctor or the league?

According to our league office, this is an approved piece of medical equipment that players are permitted to wear.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 02:55pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
Thanks for your responses.

Are you concerned about your own safety, or the player's safety or the safety of the other players? Are you looking for documentation from the player's doctor or the league?

According to our league office, this is an approved piece of medical equipment that players are permitted to wear.
Jim,
I'd be concerned about everyone's safety, the kids safety first and the liability safety for everyone else.

Don't give me heresay or himesay.

Give me a note from the doctor, or a note from the league that the coach always has with him, that he can produce immediately upon request. Michigan does not have tracheotomy tube rule, that I know of, except in your league.

You did read the rule didn't you Jim?

mick

Jim,
I just noticed that you went to New York. Good luck with that move!



[Edited by mick on Jan 9th, 2006 at 03:32 PM]
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 696
Make sure you see something that
1) Shows credible evidence that someone other than you and your association has reviewed the hazards and deemed them acceptable.

Unless you are an attorney or a medical doctor and know for certain the consequences of you being wrong - or of the unthinkable happening - you are obligated and entitled to protect yourself.
__________________
"Sports do not build character. They reveal it" - Heywood H. Broun
"Officiating does not build character. It reveal's it" - Ref Daddy
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,614
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
According to our league office, this is an approved piece of medical equipment that players are permitted to wear.
Jim, how is the official supposed to know that?
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: St. Louis Missouri
Posts: 308
Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
I Agree I'm not letting him play untill i see the paper work. I need to cover my a$$.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In a little pink house
Posts: 5,289
Send a message via AIM to Back In The Saddle Send a message via MSN to Back In The Saddle Send a message via Yahoo to Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by dpk933
Back when I was coaching I had a player with a shunt. It was to help drain fluid from the brain. I always kept the medical documentation with me clearing him to play.

The other night I had a player with a hard cast. During warmup I call him over to look at his hand. Under the tape is a hard cast. I tell the coach he can't play. He says to me but he has played the last six games and no one stopped him. The kid walks over to the bench and takes the cast off and retapes his hand. I was stunned.
Classic!!
First game of the season in this league I'm working, one young man asks if he can play with a cast on his hand. I say no. He immediately begins working his coach, the league director, everybody who'll listen. He gets nowhere. He picks up his cell phone and calls his mother for permission to cut it off so he can play. She says no. He calls his dad. Unreal
__________________
"It is not enough to do your best; you must know what to do, and then do your best." - W. Edwards Deming
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 558
Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
If a player presented with a tracheotomy tube, I would be completely bewildered. Seeing as how a tracheotomy is a surgical proceedure, any player undergoing surgery during a basketball game shouldn't be playing. However a player with a tracheoStomy tube might be a different story. Just thought I would enlighten the masses.
__________________
My job is a decision-making job, and as a result, I make a lot of decisions." --George W. Bush
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1