The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Partner has bad interpretation of rule (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24103-partner-has-bad-interpretation-rule.html)

tjchamp Sun Jan 08, 2006 05:16pm

B1 and B2 grab a loose ball and each are holding on to the ball. Partner whistles for a traveling violation. B coach realizes this is not a travel and looks to me. I was quite sure (but not 100%) it was not a travel either but deferred to my partner who had more experience than me.

Talked to partner at first break after that and told him I didn't think it was a travel. He indicated he had been advised on this very issue by clinicians to call this a travel. Something about 4 points on the floor equaled a travel. I got home, looked at the case book, and it seems 4.44.2b fits my case to not call a travel.

Two questions. What should I have done about the initial call given my uncertainty? And 2, what should I have called had it happened again that game? I wouldn't want to be inconsistent.

JRutledge Sun Jan 08, 2006 05:23pm

Nothing.

One of these days officials are going to have to realize you are not going to be able to change every call you do not agree with.

Peace

PAOfficial Sun Jan 08, 2006 07:31pm

You do nothing on the initial call....you can't do anything. If your partner calls a shooting foul and you think its a clean block, you can't do anything, so why is this any different?

As for your call and being consistant, call your game. Two wrongs usually DON'T make a right. Usually. :)

Camron Rust Sun Jan 08, 2006 07:46pm

Quote:

Originally posted by PAOfficial
You do nothing on the initial call....you can't do anything. If your partner calls a shooting foul and you think its a clean block, you can't do anything, so why is this any different?

As for your call and being consistant, call your game. Two wrongs usually DON'T make a right. Usually. :)

You can't change your partners judgement but can tell him what a rule should be.

If they count the basket on a backboard slap. Are you going to stand by and let them?

If they call 3 seconds on a throwin? Will you let them?

If they call a blocking foul on #2 who was standing in front of you, 10' from any opponent, will you let them?

If they call a 10 second backcourt violation after the team had it in the backcourt for 9 seconds, took a timeout, then threw it in and held it for only 1 second, will you let them?

[Edited by Camron Rust on Jan 8th, 2006 at 07:51 PM]

PAOfficial Sun Jan 08, 2006 09:13pm

Totally different circumstances, reason being that at the time of the call, tjchamp did not know it was a misinterpretation of a rule, for all he knew his partner simply kicked it.

Camron Rust Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by PAOfficial
Totally different circumstances, reason being that at the time of the call, tjchamp did not know it was a misinterpretation of a rule, for all he knew his partner simply kicked it.

It sounded like he suspected the partner blew the rule but was unsure himself and chose to let it be.

JRutledge Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:39am

Either way every call cannot be up for debate. A travel call is made for all kinds of reasons and I do not know how any official is going to read the mind of their partner's mind. Remember he did not know why the official made the call until much later.

Peace

IREFU2 Mon Jan 09, 2006 08:45am

Live or let die!

Let your partner live or die by the call.

bob jenkins Mon Jan 09, 2006 09:39am

Quote:

Originally posted by tjchamp
B1 and B2 grab a loose ball and each are holding on to the ball. Partner whistles for a traveling violation. B coach realizes this is not a travel and looks to me. I was quite sure (but not 100%) it was not a travel either but deferred to my partner who had more experience than me.

Talked to partner at first break after that and told him I didn't think it was a travel. He indicated he had been advised on this very issue by clinicians to call this a travel. Something about 4 points on the floor equaled a travel. I got home, looked at the case book, and it seems 4.44.2b fits my case to not call a travel.

Two questions. What should I have done about the initial call given my uncertainty? And 2, what should I have called had it happened again that game? I wouldn't want to be inconsistent.

My opinion: On the initial call, leave it alone. Maybe he called it becasue of the 4-points misconception, maybe he saw both players move the pivot foot, maybe one player had it first and travelled, maybe it was a "game management" call (but I don't see how, in this situations)...

If the coach asks your partner for an explanation, and you hear him say the 4-points BS, then speak to your partner and explain your understanding of the rule. If you're 110% sure of the rule, tell your partner that.

ChuckElias Mon Jan 09, 2006 09:46am

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
If you're 110% sure of the rule, tell your partner that.
So you're saying you should never tell your partner?

Rich Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:22am

Quote:

Originally posted by tjchamp

It's one possession -- put the ball in play and work the game. Talk to your partner in the locker room after the game.

Mark Padgett Mon Jan 09, 2006 09:14pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Camron Rust
If they call a 10 second backcourt violation after the team had it in the backcourt for 9 seconds, took a timeout, then threw it in and held it for only 1 second, will you let them?
Only if the game was on a ship going backwards over the international date line.

SmokeEater Tue Jan 10, 2006 08:52am

Quote:

Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

It's one possession -- put the ball in play and work the game. Talk to your partner in the locker room after the game. [/B]

One possession this time with potential for more occurances. I agree to keep calling your game and let your partner deal with his call. Nothing should be done about that call, except what you already did, you discussed it during a break or after the game.