The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 03:30am
Official Forum Member

8th grade boys. Game tied much of the time. 5 seconds left, three point difference, home team trailing.

White takes ball out in red's front court. The throwin goes out of bounds. Ball is administered to red. Throw-in is knocked out of bounds by red at baseline.

Four seconds left. White takes ball out at baseline. Many year experience partner administers the ball. White takes ball, throws to white on other side of baseline, out of bounds who throws the ball in! Partner does not blow whistle!

Now I am new enough to be unsure when the senior official doesn't blow his whistle on something that seems obvious to me. I asked him about it afterwards. He was sure it was legal. I looked it up when I got home and called him. He had realized in the meantime that he blew it.

I know that isn't a correctable error by rule but it could easily have been corrected. Would you?

Rita
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 04:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Rita C

I know that isn't a correctable error by rule but it could easily have been corrected. Would you?

If a player travels, would you correct it, Rita? Think about it. And how could this be "easily corrected" anyway? As soon as the thrower's teammate went OOB, he/she committed the violation.

The White player simply committed a violation. Just call it.

The good thing is that your and your partner will never get that one wrong again. It's all just part of the learning process. Don't worry about.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

If a player travels, would you correct it, Rita? Think about it. And how could this be "easily corrected" anyway? As soon as the thrower's teammate went OOB, he/she committed the violation.

The good thing is that your and your partner will never get that one wrong again. It's all just part of the learning process. Don't worry about.
Rita -- It's not on the list of Correctable Errors, and thus isn't officially Correctable. But it's fixable up to a point in time. Legally, if you'd have blown the whistle any time before the ball is legally touched inbounds, that's when to do it. But in an 8th grade game, with this much on the line, I think you should call it even in the first second or two of playing time.

BTW, you refer to Home and Visitor, and Red and White, but I can't tell which is which. Who ended up winning the game?
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:

Rita -- It's not on the list of Correctable Errors, and thus isn't officially Correctable. But it's fixable up to a point in time. Legally, if you'd have blown the whistle any time before the ball is legally touched inbounds, that's when to do it. But in an 8th grade game, with this much on the line, I think you should call it even in the first second or two of playing time.

BTW, you refer to Home and Visitor, and Red and White, but I can't tell which is which. Who ended up winning the game?
I'm presuming white to be home.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 09:47am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Rita -- It's not on the list of Correctable Errors, and thus isn't officially Correctable. But it's fixable up to a point in time. Legally, if you'd have blown the whistle any time before the ball is legally touched inbounds, that's when to do it.
Say what?

You can't be serious on that one, Juulie. That's just completely wrong.

Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Rita -- It's not on the list of Correctable Errors, and thus isn't officially Correctable. But it's fixable up to a point in time. Legally, if you'd have blown the whistle any time before the ball is legally touched inbounds, that's when to do it.
Say what?

what do you mean? It's not "correctable" in the sense of a correctable error. you can't mean that. But Rita can still call the violation until the ball is touched in-bounds. I assume you're saying that completely wrong. But why?
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 01:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Say what?

what do you mean? It's not "correctable" in the sense of a correctable error. you can't mean that. But Rita can still call the violation until the ball is touched in-bounds. I assume you're saying that completely wrong. But why?
Juulie, I get your meaning now. You're saying that Rita could have called that violation herself for her partner from the L up 'til the ball was touched in-bounds. I read your answer a different way. Technically, that is correct. However, I'm pretty sure that's not what Rita was talking about when she said "it could easily have been corrected". If you call the violation yourself, there's never anything to "correct".

Maybe Rita can explain further herself.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, white is home. That is the rule now.

I would have called it but being a relatively new official to basketball (three years) I am still shy about making a new call (to me) in my SENIOR partner's area. It was the first time I had seen that play attempted and I was not 100% certain that it was illegal at that time. (I am now. That's how we learn.)

When I talked to my partner about it later, I said something about the possibility of my making that call. He made it known in no uncertain terms that the call was in his area.

Now you can see why I think we lucked out.

Red (Vistors) won by three points.

Rita
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 06:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Actually the jersey color rule does not go into affect until 2007-2008. Many schools do not have white jerseys for home games yet. So it is possible that the team you were talking about had a different color other than white. You also could have been officiating a tournament.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Actually the jersey color rule does not go into affect until 2007-2008. Many schools do not have white jerseys for home games yet. So it is possible that the team you were talking about had a different color other than white. You also could have been officiating a tournament.

Peace
If it's white vs red, then white is home.....even in a tournament. Sorry for hijacking the thread.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Schools in the local prep school league wear white for away games and dark jerseys at home.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Schools in the local prep school league wear white for away games and dark jerseys at home.
Oh!?
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 07:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan

If it's white vs red, then white is home.....even in a tournament. Sorry for hijacking the thread.
That was not the case at a Thanksgiving Tournament I worked this year. The host school and visiting school both showed up in white. The visiting school said on the schedule they were supposed to be the home team according to the schedule. The home team changed their uniform into a dark green. We had a home team in dark green and a visiting team in white. I realize that is all semantics but what you said does not apply to every situation.

Peace