The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 03:22am
Official Forum Member

Freshman game. First time all season the 30 second clock is working. Rookie operator. Visiting coach knows this. He's whining about the clock almost constantly through the first three minutes. I try some verbal judo but it doesn't work as quickly as "You coach, I ref". Sigh but he does tone it down.

Third quarter home team takes ball out after goal. He yells time but I'm not registering his yell because this is also the precise time he has been yelling out plays for the defense. Home team has just thrown the ball in when it registers belatedly that he is asking for time and I blow my whistle. Home coach immediately starts whining about that. (Both whiners but I've dealt with home coach before.)

I decide to go with the fact that the ball has already been thrown in and belongs to white. No time out. Visiting coach asks, "Don't I get my time out?" I said no. He whines about my not hearing him. I'm so irritated I look at him and say, "Well if you didn't whine so much I wouldn't have tuned you out and heard you sooner!" and administered the ball.

Maybe I shouldn't have said it but it felt good. On the good side the whining was dramaticly reduced from him for the rest of the game.

Oy!

Rita
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 04:02am
Official Forum Member

Once you blow the whistle, he gets the TO.

5.8.3 SITUATION E: The official erroneously grants Team B a time-out in a situation when Team B cannot have one. What happens now? RULING: Team B is entitled to use the time-out since it was granted. The time-out once granted cannot be revoked and is charged to Team B. All privileges and rights permitted during a charged time-out are available to both teams.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 04:42am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Rita C

He whines about my not hearing him. I'm so irritated I look at him and say, "Well if you didn't whine so much I wouldn't have tuned you out and heard you sooner!" and administered the ball.

Maybe I shouldn't have said it but it felt good.
Not a good idea on that one, Rita. You're gonna end up having to toss a coach one day if you use that one; the coach may certainly be a whiner, but to call them that to their face is just being derogatory.

The easiest way is still a simple "that's enough, coach"---followed by a stopsign if he persists---and then followed by the "T" if he's dumb enough to ignore you.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 05:36am
Official Forum Member

You can't grant him a TO if the opposing team is trying to inbound the ball........Just in case blindzebra's reply is puzzling to you.....