The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jump Ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24086-jump-ball.html)

sm_bbcoach Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:50pm

Jump Ball to begin game. Ball goes up, White tips is towards the south (the basket they are attempting to score at). Ball bounds at 3 pt arc and is:

A) batted by white out of bounds at the baseline.

B) batted by red out of bounds at the beseline.

C) batted by both teams out of bounds at the baseline.

For each: Your call and possesion arrow direction.

BktBallRef Sat Jan 07, 2006 01:16pm

Red's ball, white's arrow.

White's ball, red's arrow.

Jump ball between the two players that knocked the ball OOB.

Jayzer Sat Jan 07, 2006 01:25pm

Right on as I see it.
In A and B the directional arrow has being put into play and changes on throw in . In C, no control yet.

de la hoops Mon Jan 09, 2006 02:47pm

In situation A...

After the inbounder for red is handed the ball a foul is committed by red before the throw is completed.

White gets the ball. Does red get the arrow?
I guess it boils down to: When white knocks the ball out of bounds, does red have the arrow until the throw in is completed?

rainmaker Mon Jan 09, 2006 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by de la hoops
In situation A...

After the inbounder for red is handed the ball a foul is committed by red before the throw is completed.

White gets the ball. Does red get the arrow?
I guess it boils down to: When white knocks the ball out of bounds, does red have the arrow until the throw in is completed?

Red doesn't lose the arrow until they complete a throw-in, and they haven't completed a throw-in if they commit a foul. White gets the ball, and red keeps the arrow.

And the refs huddle quickly to brace themselves for a very physical/rough game.

mick Mon Jan 09, 2006 03:02pm

Quote:

Originally posted by sm_bbcoach
Jump Ball to begin game. Ball goes up, White tips is towards the south (the basket they are attempting to score at). Ball bounds at 3 pt arc and is:

sm_bbcoach,
To understand the concept of the replies, one must know that a bat of the ball doesn't change or establish possession.
Holding or dribbling establishes possession. [see Rule 4-12-1]
mick

sm_bbcoach Mon Jan 09, 2006 04:23pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

sm_bbcoach,
To understand the concept of the replies, one must know that a bat of the ball doesn't change or establish possession.
mick

I understand that part of it, that is where my questions comes in. If white taps the initial tip; then the 3 situations occur, NO ONE has possesion of the ball. My questions is exactly your reply: No possesion was ever initiated, so are all 3 situations a re-jump reguardless of a batted ball by either/both teams?

rockyroad Mon Jan 09, 2006 04:31pm

Quote:

[]I understand that part of it, that is where my questions comes in. If white taps the initial tip; then the 3 situations occur, NO ONE has possesion of the ball. My questions is exactly your reply: No possesion was ever initiated, so are all 3 situations a re-jump reguardless of a batted ball by either/both teams? [/B]
No. The only re-jump will be the one when the ball is tipped out by both teams...in the other situations, possession is established when the ball is given to the in-bounder (or technically, when the ball is at the disposal of the inbounding team.

mick Mon Jan 09, 2006 04:53pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

sm_bbcoach,
mick

I understand that part of it, that is where my questions comes in. If white taps the initial tip; then the 3 situations occur, NO ONE has possesion of the ball. My questions is exactly your reply: No possesion was ever initiated, so are all 3 situations a re-jump reguardless of a batted ball by either/both teams?

What Rocky said.
The reason we don't need the arrow is because, although there was no team possession, one of the teams has in fact violated (ie., caused the ball to be out of bounds), so the ball goes to the other team. We <U>know</U> who gets the next possession.

We use the arrow when we <U>don't know</U> who gets the next possession. ;)
mick

assignmentmaker Tue Jan 10, 2006 01:26am

I think what's confusing you is

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

sm_bbcoach,
mick

I think what's confusing you is that 'control' of the ball isn't necessary for a team to violate by knocking a ball out of bounds. Think of a (high school) throw-in. It ends when the ball is legally touched on the floor. It may be batted around by the players trying to gain control. If a player taps it out-of-bounds, it's a violation - ball goes to the other team.