The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Friday night. Pistons-Sonics.

Hamilton attempts a 3-ball (misses)in front of visitors' bench when coach (Bob Hill) is on court. Apparent contact, ref makes call: Basket good (3 pts), shoot tech (4 pt play). Ball to Sonics.

What's the call NFHS?

USAF Academy Values
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 10:04am
In Memoriam

You charge the coach with 2 direct technical fouls - one for entering the court without permission and one for committing an unporting act. Coach is ejected. The shooting team gets 4 free throws and the ball at center for a throw-in.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Same as the way they handled it. Coach was on the court where he shouldn't have been which resulted in interference with an opposing player, T'him up and move on.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
JR, that ruling is for intentional interference by a team member. You think we should apply the same ruling to an unintentional act, basically being out of the coaching box? Just asking.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
Same as the way they handled it. Coach was on the court where he shouldn't have been which resulted in interference with an opposing player, T'him up and move on.
Dev, we can't count the basket in HS. This is not BI or GT in the NCAA or FED rules. In the NBA, they have a specific case play that address this specific play and they rule it BI.

We can't do it "same as the way they handled it".
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
Dev, we can't count the basket in HS. This is not BI or GT in the NCAA or FED rules. In the NBA, they have a specific case play that address this specific play and they rule it BI.

We can't do it "same as the way they handled it".
Dang, beat me back Chuck...I was just getting ready to post that I had just seen the replay again and realized they counted the basket. I thought it went in originally. I agree, I'm just giving him a technical and going on from there. Even in the NBA on this play, he had time to reset his feet and shoot so it didn't really affect the shot in any way, I would not have counted it.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Does anyone know the actual rule or have a copy of the case that applies, just out of curiosity?
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 11:44am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
JR, that ruling is for intentional interference by a team member. You think we should apply the same ruling to an unintentional act, basically being out of the coaching box? Just asking.
I really don't think that it matters whether the interference is intentional or not. No matter what, it's still interference. The bottom line is that the coach still committed 2 separate rules infractions- same as the play on the NFHS website. He was on the court and he also interfered with the play.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 11:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tacojohn
Does anyone know the actual rule or have a copy of the case that applies, just out of curiosity?
The play is posted on the NFHS website.

http://www.nfhs.org

follow the links to basketball rules. You'll find a heading posted as "2005-06 Basketball Rules Interpretations". Click on that and the interpretations will come up on the right hand side of the page. It's situation #12.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

follow the links to basketball rules. You'll find a heading posted as "2005-06 Basketball Rules Interpretations". Click on that and the interpretations will come up on the right hand side of the page. It's situation #12.
But that applies to a player who deliberately interferes with the shot. It's not clear from that case that the same ruling would apply to the coach who's a few feet on the floor with no intent to interfere with the play but does interfere.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 02:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

But that applies to a player who deliberately interferes with the shot. It's not clear from that case that the same ruling would apply to the coach who's a few feet on the floor with no intent to interfere with the play but does interfere.
The coach did exactly the same thing as the sub on the bench in situation #12. They both came on the court illegally, and they both interfered with a play. I don't think that you need a roadmap on this one to say that the ruling should apply equally to all bench personnel who commit an act similart to the one outlined in that situation.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

COMMENT: Two technical fouls must be assessed in this situation. Otherwise, the team committing the infraction would benefit from the act. (10-4-1; 10-4-2)

Wouldn't this be a reason to follow JR's interp?

Why let a team possibly benefit from the Coach's infraction?
Richland, WA
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
COMMENT: Two technical fouls must be assessed in this situation. Otherwise, the team committing the infraction would benefit from the act. (10-4-1; 10-4-2)

Are we saying that the coach being 2 feet out of the box was an "act" beyond being out of the box. The situation referenced had a team member coming onto the floor and then intentionally blocking the shot. I'm not saying it shouldn't be 2 T's, just that the situation are not direct parallel.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

The only problem I have with two Ts is the coach is going to get ejected when he unintentionally intefered with the game. Just my opinion.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 09:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

Are we saying that the coach being 2 feet out of the box was an "act" beyond being out of the box. The situation referenced had a team member coming onto the floor and then intentionally blocking the shot. I'm not saying it shouldn't be 2 T's, just that the situation are not direct parallel.
The coach was not only out on the court, Camron, as per the original post above, he actually made physical contact with the shooter also. It doesn't really matter whether the contact was intentional or not; it was contact. In the situation on the FED website, someone from the bench came on the floor and blocked a shot. Personally, I'd say that making contact with the shooter is probably a heckuva lot worse from an unsporting standpoint than just blocking a shot.