The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 06, 2006, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone notice the cover of the latest issue of That Magazine That Shall Not Be Named?

A basketball official is speaking with a player and is grasping the player's arm just above the elbow.

I'm sure it was innocuous and we don't know the context, but the first thing that went through my mind was "DON'T TOUCH A PLAYER!"

Anyone else get that thought?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2006, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't see it. I guess I don't know the secret code for magazines.

Maybe the official and the player were talking about doing lunch later.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
Anyone notice the cover of the latest issue of That Magazine That Shall Not Be Named?
So are you a Rumpole fan?!?
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

He's talking about referee magazine, not so sure why he didn't just say the name of the magazine but whatever.

Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Sorry, I did that once and the topic got binned by a mod and it was explained to me that there was some brouhaha between this site and the magazine a few years back.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Sorry, I did that once and the topic got binned by a mod and it was explained to me that there was some brouhaha between this site and the magazine a few years back.
So are you a Rumpole reader, or not?
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 02:59am
In Memoriam

Never, ever touch a player.

Ever.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 03:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There was a lawsuit (or threat of a suit). This site once had a different name....eReferee.com, IIRC. The magazine claimed they had owned the term "Referee". I don't know if a court decision confirmed that or if the site just chose to change their name to avoid the expense.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 05:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

Ever.
What he said. Ever.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
He's talking about referee magazine, not so sure why he didn't just say the name of the magazine but whatever.

----------------------------------------------------------

Come on guys (and ladies)look at the cover again. Didn't you read the article title on the kid's back - "Do You Have What it Takes to be a Lead?" They're dancing! And the kid in the background is about to cut in!
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:

Ever.
You don't shake hands with the captains before the game?

In all seriousness, I just don't agree with that. I know we're all concerned about liability or whatever. If two kids are on the ground after a held ball, I offer a hand to each of them. If a kid shows good hustle or good sportsmanship, I'll make a comment and give a pat on the back. If two kids have squared off in a stare-down, I get right between them with a hand on each chest.

I don't see anything wrong with any of these. I know there's always a concern with what someone might say or think. But I'm not so concerned about it that I can't even touch another person.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

To add to the above reply, for all we know the player had previously grabbed the official's arm, and he was removing it. If the message of the article is that physical contact is necessary to "take the lead" then it's misleading, but there are plenty of situations where it's acceptable to touch a player, as long as you keep it to a bare minimum.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Ever.
You don't shake hands with the captains before the game?

In all seriousness, I just don't agree with that. I know we're all concerned about liability or whatever. If two kids are on the ground after a held ball, I offer a hand to each of them. If a kid shows good hustle or good sportsmanship, I'll make a comment and give a pat on the back. If two kids have squared off in a stare-down, I get right between them with a hand on each chest.

I don't see anything wrong with any of these. I know there's always a concern with what someone might say or think. But I'm not so concerned about it that I can't even touch another person.
Me too.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

I think the official in the picture is checking the pupils of the kid's eyes. I'd like to check the pupils of some of the coaches to see if they are on something.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
There was a lawsuit (or threat of a suit). This site once had a different name....eReferee.com, IIRC. The magazine claimed they had owned the term "Referee". I don't know if a court decision confirmed that or if the site just chose to change their name to avoid the expense.
As I recall it was agreed by the parties or mandated by the court that eReferee.com was too similar to the trademarked Referee because they competed in the same market.

Kinda like if you opened a fast food franchise & called it eMcDonald's.