The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Cover of "that magazine" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24077-cover-magazine.html)

OverAndBack Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:01pm

Anyone notice the cover of the latest issue of That Magazine That Shall Not Be Named?

A basketball official is speaking with a player and is grasping the player's arm just above the elbow.

I'm sure it was innocuous and we don't know the context, but the first thing that went through my mind was "DON'T TOUCH A PLAYER!"

Anyone else get that thought?

Forksref Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:59pm

I didn't see it. I guess I don't know the secret code for magazines.

Maybe the official and the player were talking about doing lunch later.

rainmaker Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:58am

Quote:

Originally posted by OverAndBack
Anyone notice the cover of the latest issue of That Magazine That Shall Not Be Named?
So are you a Rumpole fan?!?

Snake~eyes Sat Jan 07, 2006 01:00am

He's talking about referee magazine, not so sure why he didn't just say the name of the magazine but whatever.

http://www.referee.com/BackIssues/images/0106.jpg

OverAndBack Sat Jan 07, 2006 01:13am

Sorry, I did that once and the topic got binned by a mod and it was explained to me that there was some brouhaha between this site and the magazine a few years back.

rainmaker Sat Jan 07, 2006 01:33am

Quote:

Sorry, I did that once and the topic got binned by a mod and it was explained to me that there was some brouhaha between this site and the magazine a few years back.
So are you a Rumpole reader, or not?

Jurassic Referee Sat Jan 07, 2006 02:59am

Never, ever touch a player.

Ever.

Camron Rust Sat Jan 07, 2006 03:59am

Quote:

There was a lawsuit (or threat of a suit). This site once had a different name....eReferee.com, IIRC. The magazine claimed they had owned the term "Referee". I don't know if a court decision confirmed that or if the site just chose to change their name to avoid the expense.

azbigdawg Sat Jan 07, 2006 05:38am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

Ever.

What he said. Ever.

refnrev Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:26am

Quote:

Originally posted by Snake~eyes
He's talking about referee magazine, not so sure why he didn't just say the name of the magazine but whatever.

http://www.referee.com/BackIssues/images/0106.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------

Come on guys (and ladies)look at the cover again. Didn't you read the article title on the kid's back - "Do You Have What it Takes to be a Lead?" They're dancing! And the kid in the background is about to cut in!

ChuckElias Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:32am

Quote:

Ever.

You don't shake hands with the captains before the game? :)

In all seriousness, I just don't agree with that. I know we're all concerned about liability or whatever. If two kids are on the ground after a held ball, I offer a hand to each of them. If a kid shows good hustle or good sportsmanship, I'll make a comment and give a pat on the back. If two kids have squared off in a stare-down, I get right between them with a hand on each chest.

I don't see anything wrong with any of these. I know there's always a concern with what someone might say or think. But I'm not so concerned about it that I can't even touch another person.

tacojohn Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:38am

To add to the above reply, for all we know the player had previously grabbed the official's arm, and he was removing it. If the message of the article is that physical contact is necessary to "take the lead" then it's misleading, but there are plenty of situations where it's acceptable to touch a player, as long as you keep it to a bare minimum.

Dan_ref Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:56am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Ever.

You don't shake hands with the captains before the game? :)

In all seriousness, I just don't agree with that. I know we're all concerned about liability or whatever. If two kids are on the ground after a held ball, I offer a hand to each of them. If a kid shows good hustle or good sportsmanship, I'll make a comment and give a pat on the back. If two kids have squared off in a stare-down, I get right between them with a hand on each chest.

I don't see anything wrong with any of these. I know there's always a concern with what someone might say or think. But I'm not so concerned about it that I can't even touch another person.

Me too.

Forksref Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:07am

I think the official in the picture is checking the pupils of the kid's eyes. I'd like to check the pupils of some of the coaches to see if they are on something.

Dan_ref Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:11am

Quote:

Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:

There was a lawsuit (or threat of a suit). This site once had a different name....eReferee.com, IIRC. The magazine claimed they had owned the term "Referee". I don't know if a court decision confirmed that or if the site just chose to change their name to avoid the expense.

As I recall it was agreed by the parties or mandated by the court that eReferee.com was too similar to the trademarked Referee because they competed in the same market.

Kinda like if you opened a fast food franchise & called it eMcDonald's.