The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   traveling ? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24059-traveling.html)

ctpfive Thu Jan 05, 2006 03:11pm

Has any one ever heard of the dribble hop move? That is what I have heard coaches call this particular move. I whistle it traveling - the coaches don't like it and respond by saying - that is the dribble hop move, the kids are taught that move at summer camp. I guess if I understood how coaches are teaching this move I might have a better chance at making the right call. As far as I can see the dribble hop move is where a player will, as they are picking up their dribble, leap into the air, simultaneously land on two feet and then jump again; or they might even step and go after the initial landing. It is comparable to the two foot jump stop, crossover - but it's different. Can someone help me understand this move?

mick Thu Jan 05, 2006 03:21pm

See 4-44-2b

ChuckElias Thu Jan 05, 2006 03:32pm

I was thinking the same thing, Mick.

CTP, I don't think you need to understand the move as much as you just need to understand what you can and can't do with regard to a pivot foot. The travel rules are pretty clear and they'll tell you what you can do if you catch the ball in the air: land on one foot, land on two feet, land on one and then jump, land on two and then step, etc.

Brush up on those and then when you look at the move, you'll know where it fits into those rules.

ctpfive Thu Jan 05, 2006 04:08pm

4-44-2b is the rule that I may not be sure of. If one foot is on the floor the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. I am thinking here that the foot that the player jumped off of is already the established pivot foot, and if it is then the player can not put that foot back on the floor w/out traveling. I need an explanation of this ruling.

mick Thu Jan 05, 2006 04:28pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ctpfive
4-44-2b is the rule that I may not be sure of. If one foot is on the floor the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. I am thinking here that the foot that the player jumped off of is already the established pivot foot, and if it is then the player can not put that foot back on the floor w/out traveling. I need an explanation of this ruling.
ctpfive,
Please note that Article 2 applies to the specific conditions of moving and/or dribbling players, while your "foot that the player jumped off of is already the established pivot foot" condition applies to Article 1, 3,4 [not specifically in motion].
mick

ctpfive Thu Jan 05, 2006 05:24pm

Mick, I am still confused. Now I am thinking that a player that is dribbling the ball, jump stops and then crosses over with one of his/her feet is not legal.??

ctpfive Thu Jan 05, 2006 05:26pm

Okay, I think I am starting to get this. Both feet have to be off the floor before a player can legally jumpstop and still have a pivot foot.

refTN Thu Jan 05, 2006 07:46pm

No but you are getting very close. I am not a very fast typer so I will leave it to one of these vet typers to teach you.

mick Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:03pm

Quote:

Okay, I think I am starting to get this. Both feet have to be off the floor before a player can legally jumpstop and still have a pivot foot.
ctpfive,
The rules makers have made an exception, with Article 2, to allow for the fact that a quickly moving player may be allowed to contend with momentum and inertia, and legally gather the ball, before establishing a pivot foot without without causing a traveling violation. ;)
mick

just another ref Fri Jan 06, 2006 01:15am

Quote:

- that is the dribble hop move, the kids are taught that move at summer camp.

One thing is certain: There are many different "moves," taught in many different places, by many different people,
that are not close to being legal.

SmokeEater Fri Jan 06, 2006 08:56am

This question is very similar to what is being talked about in this other thread. http://www.officialforum.com/thread/24016