The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   did we do this right? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24037-did-we-do-right.html)

JohnBark Wed Jan 04, 2006 07:27pm

NFHS rules...B2's 3 point attempt is in flight, B1 is charged with a pushing foul on A1 as the ball goes in. Team A is in the bonus.

Count the goal and A1 goes to the other end for free throws, right?

since there is no team control on an attempt, this is not a team control foul situation, correct?

JRutledge Wed Jan 04, 2006 07:36pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JohnBark
NFHS rules...B2's 3 point attempt is in flight, B1 is charged with a pushing foul on A1 as the ball goes in. Team A is in the bonus.

Count the goal and A1 goes to the other end for free throws, right?

since there is no team control on an attempt, this is not a team control foul situation, correct?

Yes and yes.

Peace

SmokeEater Thu Jan 05, 2006 08:46am

Same question NCAA rules? Is it a different result?

Texref Thu Jan 05, 2006 09:13am

That was a question on our state (TX) exam this year and the answer is POI since the basket was made. The rule that was referenced is 6-4-3g (I think). I don't agree with that answer, but that's what was given.

ChuckElias Thu Jan 05, 2006 09:45am

Quote:

Originally posted by SmokeEater
Same question NCAA rules? Is it a different result?
Nope. Same answer. No team control, so shoot the bonus.

ChuckElias Thu Jan 05, 2006 09:46am

Quote:

Originally posted by Texref
That was a question on our state (TX) exam this year and the answer is POI since the basket was made.
What does POI have to do with this situation? Maybe the question was about a double foul during a try? You might want to recheck that one, Texref.

SmokeEater Thu Jan 05, 2006 09:46am

Thanks Chuck, can you provide a reference. I can't seem to find it while at work.

Texref Thu Jan 05, 2006 09:51am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

That was a question on our state (TX) exam this year and the answer is POI since the basket was made.
What does POI have to do with this situation? Maybe the question was about a double foul during a try? You might want to recheck that one, Texref.

Chuck,

You are correct, it was a double foul. My fault. I reread the question. But the answer still went to POI, is that correct or should it be an AP situation with a double foul in this situation?

ChuckElias Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:04am

Quote:

Originally posted by SmokeEater
Thanks Chuck, can you provide a reference. I can't seem to find it while at work.
There's no AR on the exact play that I can find. The only reference that I can find is the definition of team control foul, which is 4-26-9. "A team-control foul is a common foul that is committed by a member of a team that has team control."

Since there's no team control during a try, it doesn't fit the definition, so you shoot the bonus.

ChuckElias Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:09am

Quote:

You are correct, it was a double foul. My fault. I reread the question. But the answer still went to POI, is that correct or should it be an AP situation with a double foul in this situation?
Check out FED 4-36-1 and 4.19.8 SITUATION C.

Texref Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:18am

Quote:

Quote:

Check out FED 4-36-1 and 4.19.8 SITUATION C.

Thanks again Chuck. Got it now.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 05, 2006 05:16pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Chuck,

Since the try was good, give the ball to B (or was it A? -- in any event the "old defensive team") for a throw in.

If the try was not good, then use the AP arrow.