The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

This one got sent via e-mail today. Not my sitch but it's interesting:

A Technical Foul occurs on a player at the end of the second period. We begin the third quarter with two shots for the opposing team and they also retain possession to begin the quarter. The arrow stays the same way as it was going and the foul counts as a personal foul and a team foul in the second half. This also counts as an indirect technical to the coach with loss of box privileges.

Is this correct?

My take is this is all 3rd Q business if the 2nd qtr ended. My question is: Is this for sure indirect on the coach? I can see that if it's a known bench personnel but if it's a known player?

Example....A1 shoots...B1 fouls....no call..HORN..ball hits floor...couple seconds later....A1 "You suck"

Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 04:40pm
In Memoriam

All players become bench personnel during intermissions. Case book play 10.4.1SitB. Half-time and the time between quarters are all "intermissions" as per R2-12-3&4.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 04:54pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
All players become bench personnel during intermissions. Case book play 10.4.1SitB. Half-time and the time between quarters are all "intermissions" as per R2-12-3&4.
So the T is an indirect on the coach, a team foul to start the third qtr., but not a personal on the player - correct?

WARNING: SIDE NOTE, AND OFF-TOPIC COMMENT!!

I learned a very valuable lesson recently - not everyone uses the term "whack" for T's. I was trying to be nice and "talk a player down" and avoid having to give a T - team only had 5 players, she had just picked up her 4th foul...told her "If you don't stop, you're gonna get whacked"...she went nutso claiming I had threatened to hit her if she didn't calm down. Needless to say, she got T'd anyway, and I will never use those words to a player again...
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:
So the T is an indirect on the coach, a team foul to start the third qtr., but not a personal on the player - correct?

WARNING: SIDE NOTE, AND OFF-TOPIC COMMENT!!

I learned a very valuable lesson recently - not everyone uses the term "whack" for T's. I was trying to be nice and "talk a player down" and avoid having to give a T - team only had 5 players, she had just picked up her 4th foul...told her "If you don't stop, you're gonna get whacked"...she went nutso claiming I had threatened to hit her if she didn't calm down. Needless to say, she got T'd anyway, and I will never use those words to a player again...
I do not like to use the words "whack" or "bang". It just doesn't sound appropriate.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Wrong. The T also counts as a personal on the player.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
It wouldn't be a personal, but in HS, it would count toward the five fouls for disqualification.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 05:27pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
It wouldn't be a personal, but in HS, it would count toward the five fouls for disqualification.
OK, in HS - but not in NCAA, correct? It'a s team foul, but nothing on the "personal"side, right?
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
So to the book person, you'd say, "it counts as an individual foul, AND a team foul." And not tell them about the indirect thing, eh? Or should the book person be keeping track of indirects?
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
So to the book person, you'd say, "it counts as an individual foul, AND a team foul." And not tell them about the indirect thing, eh? Or should the book person be keeping track of indirects?
The official scorekeeper should be keeping track of indirect Ts on the head coach in the book. Most score books that I have seen have a spot in them for coaches Ts to be recorded, and have spots for both Direct and Indirect.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 05:52pm
We don't rent pigs

coulda been worse.......

Quote:
"If you don't stop, you're gonna get whacked"...she went nutso claiming I had threatened to hit her....

She might've thought you were one of the sopranos.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
OK, in HS - but not in NCAA, correct? It'a s team foul, but nothing on the "personal"side, right?
It would depend on what the T was for. If it was an unsporting T (cursing out the ref), then it does count toward the 5 for DQ. If, for example, it's dunking during the intermission, then it is an indirect T, and does not count as one of the 5 for DQ.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 11:09pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Reminds me of my first game after 26 years off. I go to report a foul..."White. 23. With a hack." I was advised at halftime that "Hack" was not a game time term that should be used. So it is with the term "whack". Okay in pre-game. Okay in post-game. Even okay at association meeting or referee class. But not during the game.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
The official scorekeeper should be keeping track of indirect Ts on the head coach in the book. Most score books that I have seen have a spot in them for coaches Ts to be recorded, and have spots for both Direct and Indirect.
I have NEVER seen a book that had a place for indirects.

Yes, the T counts towards the player's 5 and is an indirect for the coach.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
TY JR.