The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 28, 2001, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Mark --

With your professional experience and your basketball experience, you would be the perfect person for the job. Why don't you volunteer!!!
Old Mon May 28, 2001, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

We can't always be so literal.

Yes, we can. It's easy. They've had a lot of years to correct the book and all it takes is a good editor and proofreader.
I was referring to the way we, as officials, interpret plays, moreso than how the rulebook is written. No matter how something is worded, there will always be those who have a different interpretation of what they read.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon May 28, 2001, 06:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I was referring to the way we, as officials, interpret plays, moreso than how the rulebook is written. No matter how something is worded, there will always be those who have a different interpretation of what they read.
I have been a rule interpreter for my association and I can tell you the job would be much easier if the rule book was cleaned up as to grammar and consistency. As an official, I prefer to use my subjectivity as to how much contact should be called, advantage/disadvantage, etc. as opposed to trying to interpret a rule that is poorly written.
Old Mon May 28, 2001, 06:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Mark --

With your professional experience and your basketball experience, you would be the perfect person for the job. Why don't you volunteer!!!
Juulie - as you know, I have written rule books for rec leagues from scratch along with policies and procedure manuals for rec organizations, all as a volunteer.

However, if the NF wanted me to take on the task of eliminating the incongruities in the rule book, they would have to open up the vault.
Old Mon May 28, 2001, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
However, if the NF wanted me to take on the task of eliminating the incongruities in the rule book, they would have to open up the vault.
I expect you'd be worth a lot more than the vault could disgorge. Have you ever offered? I mean, I agree with you completely. I was reading a section today, and then turned to the "Summary of penalties for fouls" page. It is unbelievably confusing!! So if you need a reference, let me know! I hope your first act will be to take the reference to "One Step" out of the Simplified and Illustrated page on block/charge (this is my personal pet peeve.)
Old Tue May 29, 2001, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

I expect you'd be worth a lot more than the vault could disgorge. Have you ever offered? I mean, I agree with you completely. I was reading a section today, and then turned to the "Summary of penalties for fouls" page. It is unbelievably confusing!!
I would have to agree that the "Summary.." is about as confusing as anything they've ever written. If you didn't already know how many FTs a player should get after being fouled, you'd be in real trouble if you had to learn it from the "Summary."

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith