The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   visual count (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/23923-visual-count.html)

Jayzer Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:10pm

Could someone tell me what is the correct method of the 10 sec. visual count for the outside offical in a 2 man system.
Thank's Guys.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jayzer
Could someone tell me what is the correct method of the 10 sec. visual count for the outside offical in a 2 man system.
Thank's Guys.

Just like any other visual count. Some prefer the hand closest to the table, but that's not mentioned ion the NFHS manual.

IREFU2 Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:16pm

I try to use my hand opposite of the dribbler, that way I have a good view of what is going on.

JRutledge Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:59pm

All the systems are the same regardless of what officiating system you are working under. Signal mechanics do not change with the type of crew you have.

Peace

Jayzer Wed Dec 28, 2005 01:06pm

Sorry Guys I messed up. CORRECTION
I forgot to mention during a free throw.
I know, I know, don't say it.

FrankHtown Wed Dec 28, 2005 01:17pm

It should be an opening and closing of the hand, at your side. Use the hand closer to the division line so as not to "disconcert" the shooter.

Snake~eyes Thu Dec 29, 2005 02:34am

Flick of the wrist, pulsing wrist, I've heard it described a couple different ways.

Basically you put your hand by your side, and make a fist, open your hand. Over and over.. As stated, use the hand closest to midcourt, this is the hand you should also raise to chop the clock.

I don't even count when I do it to be honest. I've never called a 10 second violation and don't plan to either.

Cager ref 1989 Thu Dec 29, 2005 04:25am

OK Snake-eyes. Just remember what you said when next week in a tight game and coach has no more time outs and he tells shooter to hold the ball while he sets up his defensive play before the shot...and this takes up to 20 seconds while he is discussing this with 2 of his guards near the bench who remain on the playing court...it's gonna happen...just wait and see.

Rich Thu Dec 29, 2005 09:51am

Quote:

Originally posted by Cager ref 1989
OK Snake-eyes. Just remember what you said when next week in a tight game and coach has no more time outs and he tells shooter to hold the ball while he sets up his defensive play before the shot...and this takes up to 20 seconds while he is discussing this with 2 of his guards near the bench who remain on the playing court...it's gonna happen...just wait and see.
And I, too, will never get to ten. My wrist flicks are not exactly one second apart, either. 19 seasons, never had such a violation.

mj Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:01am

Quote:

Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:

And I, too, will never get to ten. My wrist flicks are not exactly one second apart, either. 19 seasons, never had such a violation.

I've never had one either. I did witness one a few years ago. It was about 12-13 before he made the call.

Rich Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:00am

Quote:

Originally posted by mj
Quote:

Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:

I've never had one either. I did witness one a few years ago. It was about 12-13 before he made the call.

Mark,

Any holiday tourneys? I'm working the next two nights. Boys, 2-person (ugh). I'll be glad when I never have to work another 2-person game. I should've called the school and asked them if I could bring 3, but since there's a game behind ours, I didn't bother.

--Rich

Snake~eyes Thu Dec 29, 2005 04:01pm

Quote:

Why would the coach want to lose a freethrow oppurtunity in a close game? Even though that's never going to happen, I will tell you right now what I would do if it did. I would go to the shooter and let him/her know that he/she only has 10 seconds to shoot the ball.

BktBallRef Thu Dec 29, 2005 04:09pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:

Why would the coach want to lose a freethrow oppurtunity in a close game? Even though that's never going to happen, I will tell you right now what I would do if it did. I would go to the shooter and let him/her know that he/she only has 10 seconds to shoot the ball.

And then what?

I had never called one either....until I had a kid take what seemed like forever to shoot a throw. The next time, I counted and got to 13 before he shot. I warned him as you suggest. The next time, I got to 12...TWEET!

Wanna know what the coach said?

"I told you sooner or later somebody was going to call it on you!"

Back In The Saddle Thu Dec 29, 2005 04:10pm

1..2..3..4..5..6..7..8..9..9 1/2..9 3/4.."shoot the dang ball already!"..9 7/8.....

Cager ref 1989 Thu Dec 29, 2005 07:58pm

See. That's what's wrong with us officials. We won't call it like it should be called. Just blow the whistle, hold up ten fingers, and get ready for the tongue lashing to begin. Just be proud you are the only one in the building who seems to know the rules.
That's like a coach who runs out onto the floor screaming at you for a call you made. Are you gonna tell him now get off the floor and quit saying those nasty things about me...please coach get off the floor you are making me look bad...please coach this is reeeeally getting out of hand.
NO. You will ring him up in a heartbeat. You will not beg him to get off the floor. If you do you will look like an idiot with no guts.
Just blow the whistle when it is warranted.
(I do agree that a preventative measure might be in order if the kid is just slow, but if he is deliberately delaying the game to catch his breath...ring him up.)