The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Was in a Regional consulation final couple years ago and paired with a veteran official from a different local association. Foul count was posted on scoreboard something like 7 to 1. Now during a timeout early in 2nd period he comes to me and says "we need to do something about the foul count to get it evened up" and I ask him "should we make up calls or what?" and he said "we should just watch for the team with less fouls a little closer".
I told him I would call it like I see it and not any different.
We didn't discuss it at halftime although I was still amazed at his comments...
Is this a common practice in some associations or is this guy just afraid of the coach getting upset at us?
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jayzer
Thumbs up

I'm with you, call them as you see them.
The same thing happed to me with much the same result.

Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

We've had this discussion numerous times before. When we get in a very unbalanced foul situation, there is usually a pretty good reason for it (one team being much more aggressive).

However, I do use that to try to sharpen my focus even more to make sure that I don't miss a foul that would help balance things out.

Z
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 01:45pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

In my experience, over the course of a game, it is rare that the foul count is not nearly equal. Sometimes team A fouls a lot in quarters 1 and 3, and team B does so in quarters 2 and 4. Or whatever.

My thought are to call them as you see them. Don't adjust your game by changing your judgment of a foul.

Having said that, with a 7-1 count, missing a foul or two (one by each ref maybe), can really ignite a situation. I do sharpen up a bit. Luckily for me, 7-1 foul counts aren't common.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Here's something I asked a college official at a camp and I liked his answer.

Even foul count is going to happen, one team is more aggressive or is just playing different. Why would you possibly even the foul count and give the aggressive team more of an advantage. But he said, if it's 7-1 or whatever and the team with 1 foul fouls then we HAVE to go get it. We shouldn't be looking for "easy" fouls or whaever but we cannot miss a foul.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

I know i firmed my opinion on this early THIS year.

Had a Girls JV game. Passive team and Aggressive team. Foul count was 8 - 1 at half time. Coach was making verbal comments about the "imbalance". Partner and I discussed at half but agreed - we are calling what we saw.

At half time the Passive team must have gotten lit up by their coach. Second half they were a totally diferent team. Foul count by end of game was 9 - 2 the other way. Total reversal even the coach's comments.

Focusing on consistency is the key.

The foul count is on the score board to account for progress towards bonus free throws - not to be viewed as playing favorites in your calls.

Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Exactly

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

I know i firmed my opinion on this early THIS year.

Had a Girls JV game. Passive team and Aggressive team. Foul count was 8 - 1 at half time. Coach was making verbal comments about the "imbalance". Partner and I discussed at half but agreed - we are calling what we saw.

At half time the Passive team must have gotten lit up by their coach. Second half they were a totally diferent team. Foul count by end of game was 9 - 2 the other way. Total reversal even the coach's comments.

Focusing on consistency is the key.

The foul count is on the score board to account for progress towards bonus free throws - not to be viewed as playing favorites in your calls.

I had a game last night in which the favored team had been surprisingly passive (in the face of extra strong defense from the underdog), then came out for bear in the 2nd half. We (2) had 8 to 1 in fouls 4 minutes into the half. The fouling team got the bulk of the rebounds & the bulk of the loose balls, got their break going, and pulled away to win. Their coach didn't say a word about the fouls. He had a plan.

As for a partner wanting to 'even up' the fouls, you say "I think we're calling a good game - let's keep it up."
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 11:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Whenever a partner suggests we "even up the foul count", I ask him (or her) if we should also "even up the point count", since that isn't our job either.

I don't count 'em, I just call 'em.