The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes you have to use caution, however. Last week I was calling a JV game. I was lead coming to trail as Team A was bringing the ball upcourt from the backcourt. Coach of Team A (the far bench to me) calls "Time". The trail to new lead lets it go so I blow the whistle and call "time-out". I report the TO and my partner comes over and tells me he didn't think Coach A wanted a TO, he was telling his point guard to take his time dribbling up court. He had a point. After the teams came back on the court I was now the new center right in front of Coach A so I asked him. He told me he was calling a time-out. Made me feel better but I can see where this can be a confusing area for officials. Sometimes administering a TO can be tough, especially in a loud gym. Is there anything in the rule book that the coach has to say "time out"?
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

B scores and signals time out. Once the coach signals time out and you recognize it he is stuck. After a made basket it had to be obvious he wanted time out...

What he did was pulled one over on you. He got clock stopped, substituted, set up a play for the inbounds, all with out a timeout.

If I were B's coach I'd be hopping mad. Give A the timeout and tell him to live with it.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 03:28pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

In either situation, the requesting team is still charged with a timeout.

Mark:

Isn't that what I said?

MTD, Sr.
Yes - I just wanted to simplify and clarify for the original poster.

Mark:

Are you saying that I was being circumlocutory?

Merry Christmas!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
How about granting one when you shouldn't have...

I screwed the pooch the other night - 23 seconds left in a 6 point game. Loosing team has just made the first free throw. Second shot is in the air and hits the rim. I here a loud TIME OUT! from the loosing team coach.

My STUPID WHISTLE went off. I don't know why - it just went off. The ball bounds off the rim and bounces once and almost comes to me at the trail position. Oh My God!

The coach just looks at me. He didn't even take a time out now that the clock was stopped. (Perhaps I should have forced him to take one??? He had TO's available.)

We went to the arrow. Loosing team will get the ball back. OH JUST GREAT! Now the winning team scorekeeper (Visitors) tells me that her team had the rebound before I blew my whistle. (Yeah right! She's a previous coach and had the same kind of trying attitude then too!)

We continue with the throw-in. Loosing team does not score. No one scores. All is well except my bruised ego.

Should I have done something different... given my initial error?
In this case your stoppage of play was due to an inadvertent whistle. No team control, goto AP. You handled it correctly. Now if either coach wants a time out, they can have one. I would never have forced the losing coach to take a time out but would have allowed a time out due to the inadvertent whistle. Coach's mistake caused yours but this is a case where we don't enforce the first mistake.
Old Mon Dec 26, 2005, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Red_Killian
Quote:
My STUPID WHISTLE went off. I don't know why - it just went off. .....We continue with the throw-in. Loosing team does not score. No one scores. All is well except my bruised ego. Should I have done something different... given my initial error?
__________________________________________________ _________

Obviously you have a defective whistle that is making you look bad. I would send it back to the manufacturer and demand my money back immediately and then get a new one. (Preferably one that doesn't look like a fish or swimming mammal!)

Old Mon Dec 26, 2005, 01:03am
M.A.S.H.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by refnrev
Quote:
Originally posted by Red_Killian
Quote:
My STUPID WHISTLE went off. I don't know why - it just went off. .....We continue with the throw-in. Loosing team does not score. No one scores. All is well except my bruised ego. Should I have done something different... given my initial error?
__________________________________________________ _________

Obviously you have a defective whistle that is making you look bad. I would send it back to the manufacturer and demand my money back immediately and then get a new one. (Preferably one that doesn't look like a fish or swimming mammal!)

Not a big fan of the Dolphin, Bob?