The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

I got the new Reeboks this year, and am wondering how to clean up some scuff marks. I've tried water and Armor-All, but I can't get rid of the marks near my toes. Any advice? I'd thought about trying Windex, but was afraid it would strip the finish.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I am in the same boat wondering the same thing.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Having had military background, we used to use lighter fluid to work the scuff off our "dress" patent leather shoes. BE SURE YOUR PATENT LEATHER REF SHOES ARE REAL PATENT LEATHER. I have two brands....Converse & OC's. Both shoes have cleaned up well with no ill effects. Be sure that the scuffs are indeed scuffs and not a "cut" or "gouge" in the leather. Most scuffs are left on the shoe from your other shoe when they momentarily touch each other when you are transitioning on fast break coverage. The scuff mark is usually the rubber material from the rubber sole that is left on the patent leather surface. Take a little bit of lighter fluid on a cottonball and softly rub out the scuff. (If you're not sure if the shoe is a true patent leather, try the fluid in an area that doesn't show prominently to see if the fluid mares the finish. If it does....don't use lighter fluid on it!) The alternative is take a little petroleum jelly (vaseline)and see if that will work the scuff out.

There are other products you may want to try as well. "Honig's" sells a new product called "Lack Polish" (#A24). It's a new product that I have not used, but is in their catalog. They say it's designed for cleaning patent leather shoes. There is another product...KIWI Leather Scuff Remover for vinyl/patent leather shoes. It's a liquid that comes in a 3.5 fl. oz. pump spray you can obtain from most shoe care stores or department stores. I've used this product and it works ok....but prefer the old military way, I described above, if your shoes will take it!

Once you have the scuff removed, I dress the shoe with a quick touch up from a "furniture polish" wipe.(Pledge Furniture Wipes)....Just be careful that you only treat the patent leather uppers...NOT the soles....otherwise you'll be like a hockey referee on the court! The wipe can be re-used a few more times for pre-game touch up if you just put it into a zip-lock baggie to keep it fresh.

That's what I do....I wish you luck....and if done properly, your shoes will gleam and you'll be constantly telling people you have a wedding to attend after your game!
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Thanks, I will try that!
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

But don't let anyone throw a cigarette on the ground while you're wearing them!
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Form shaving cream!
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IAABO_Ref
I’ve had good luck with Windex on my patent leather baseball plate shoes at getting scuffs out.

If it a cut or gouge, then you can use Leather Luster and a fine grit sandpaper to make it look ok (not like new but it’ll shine.)
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 07:09pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by imaref
Having had military background, we used to use lighter fluid to work the scuff off our "dress" patent leather shoes. BE SURE YOUR PATENT LEATHER REF SHOES ARE REAL PATENT LEATHER. I have two brands....Converse & OC's. Both shoes have cleaned up well with no ill effects. Be sure that the scuffs are indeed scuffs and not a "cut" or "gouge" in the leather. Most scuffs are left on the shoe from your other shoe when they momentarily touch each other when you are transitioning on fast break coverage. The scuff mark is usually the rubber material from the rubber sole that is left on the patent leather surface. Take a little bit of lighter fluid on a cottonball and softly rub out the scuff. (If you're not sure if the shoe is a true patent leather, try the fluid in an area that doesn't show prominently to see if the fluid mares the finish. If it does....don't use lighter fluid on it!) The alternative is take a little petroleum jelly (vaseline)and see if that will work the scuff out.

There are other products you may want to try as well. "Honig's" sells a new product called "Lack Polish" (#A24). It's a new product that I have not used, but is in their catalog. They say it's designed for cleaning patent leather shoes. There is another product...KIWI Leather Scuff Remover for vinyl/patent leather shoes. It's a liquid that comes in a 3.5 fl. oz. pump spray you can obtain from most shoe care stores or department stores. I've used this product and it works ok....but prefer the old military way, I described above, if your shoes will take it!

Once you have the scuff removed, I dress the shoe with a quick touch up from a "furniture polish" wipe.(Pledge Furniture Wipes)....Just be careful that you only treat the patent leather uppers...NOT the soles....otherwise you'll be like a hockey referee on the court! The wipe can be re-used a few more times for pre-game touch up if you just put it into a zip-lock baggie to keep it fresh.

That's what I do....I wish you luck....and if done properly, your shoes will gleam and you'll be constantly telling people you have a wedding to attend after your game!

Nothing beats a good spit shine on a pair of non-patent leather shoes.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Best thing for the patent leather shoes is to throw them out and get a pair of real leather shoes.
Old Mon Dec 26, 2005, 11:51am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
Best thing for the patent leather shoes is to throw them out and get a pair of real leather shoes.

I am glad to see that I am not the only person who does not like patent leather shoes.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 26, 2005, 11:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf

I am glad to see that I am not the only person who does not like patent leather shoes.

MTD, Sr.
I don't even like 'em with a suit. Tuxedo- maybe. Dancing with Ginger Rogers?- de rigeur. On a basketball court? Naw, not for me personally.