The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Worked a boys hs varsity game last night 3 person crew good game no problems team A was up by 15 w/ 5:00 minutes left in game my partner called a shooting foul on team A players were lining up for the free throws when 2 players on team B's bench started brawling the fight spilled onto the court the coaches & players broke up the fight. I don't have my rule book w/ me what is the actual definition of fighting does it include players on the same team?
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

SECTION 18 FIGHTING
Fighting is a flagrant act and can occur when the ball is dead or live. Fighting includes, but is not limited to combative acts such as:
ART. 1 . . . An attempt to strike, punch or kick an opponent with a fist, hands, arms, legs or feet regardless of whether contact is made.
ART. 2 . . . An attempt to instigate a fight by committing an unsporting act toward an opponent that causes an opponent to retaliate by fighting.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

So the rule doesn't cover a fight between players on the same team. How should this be penalized w/ unsportsmanlike T ?
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
I would think the coach's penalty for these players will be more severe that what you are going to give them. I would have ejected the two players, shot the free throws, and moved on with the game.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Leave it alone and let the coach deal with his players. Now, if they cussing for the whole gym to hear, that's different.

It's probably not a good idea to start taking bets amongst the refs on who will win this fight.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Thats what we did we let the coach deal w/ it & filed report w/ our assignor
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

you know, I had something less severe than a fight. Heard a kid say to his teammate "Get your head in the f**'in game". I was L at the time and the kids were maybe 4 ft apart - so no one in the stands or on the bench heard it. Normally I have a pretty short leash on vulgarity - but it caught me off guard btwn teammates. After I paused the game had noved on - so I let it go.

Anyone out there T a kid for cussing at at teammate?
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

In 14 years I have never called a T on anything said between teammates Its odd that by the rule 2 teammates can beat the crap out of each other & thats OK
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by stripes74
In 14 years I have never called a T on anything said between teammates Its odd that by the rule 2 teammates can beat the crap out of each other & thats OK
Why do you keep saying it's OK by rule?

SECTION 18 FIGHTING
Fighting is a flagrant act and can occur when the ball is dead or live. Fighting includes, but is not limited to combative acts such as:

Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Blind & lovin' it
you know, I had something less severe than a fight. Heard a kid say to his teammate "Get your head in the f**'in game". I was L at the time and the kids were maybe 4 ft apart - so no one in the stands or on the bench heard it. Normally I have a pretty short leash on vulgarity - but it caught me off guard btwn teammates. After I paused the game had noved on - so I let it go.

I did once, in a situation similar to yours, but different in volume. Half the gym heard him, so I branded him (new euphemism drawn from a literary foray -- cute, huh?).
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

"Vulgar conduct" is a foul.

I respect those that allow it towards team-mates but disagree. 2004 POE says :

Inappropriate language. The committee is concerned about the use of inappropriate language by players, bench personnel, coaches, officials and spectators. Each group has a responsibility to the game and to each other to demonstrate civility and citizenship.

Determining who the target of the vulgar comments truly was is impossible. as well it sets the perfect excuse - "I wasn't talking to the other team."

Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone out there T a kid for cussing at at teammate? [/B][/QUOTE]
-----------------------------------------------------------
No, but I've given cards and sent them off in soccer for it.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
-----------------------------------------------------------
No, but I've given cards and sent them off in soccer for it. [/B][/QUOTE]

What is this "soccer" you speak of? And are these Hallmark cards or are they of the St Louis variety?
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by stripes74
Worked a boys hs varsity game last night 3 person crew good game no problems team A was up by 15 w/ 5:00 minutes left in game my partner called a shooting foul on team A players were lining up for the free throws when 2 players on team B's bench started brawling the fight spilled onto the court the coaches & players broke up the fight. I don't have my rule book w/ me what is the actual definition of fighting does it include players on the same team?
Two flagrant's, toss them both and shoot 4 free throws and A Team gets the ball back at the division line.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 09:22am
Courageous When Prudent

Post NCAA interp

Here's my JuCo conference's interp concerning fighting between teammates (excerpted from one of our quizzes):

Teammates A1 and A-2 are arguing on their way to their bench after the TO is granted. A1 verbally abuses A2 and both grab each other and fall to the floor. Make a call. What do you call?
You are right if you review the current 2006-07 Rule Book and conclude that there is a contradiction in Rule 4-23 and Rule 10-17. The contradiction has been dully noted by Ed Bilik, NCAA, for a change in next year's Rule Book. In Rule 10-17.a .b .c, replace the word ‘opponent’ with the word ‘individual’ and that will eliminate the contradiction. As mentioned at the clinics, Rule 4-23 was a rewrite and inadvertently the change was not made in Rule 10-17. The intent of the rewrite of 4-23 was to clarify fighting and cover the situation described above since it is becoming a prevalent occurrence. At minimum direct technical fouls can be assessed to the Team A players, however, Rule 4-23 is the dominate rule and you are correct to charge both players with flagrant technical fouls and eject them for fighting.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Feb 05, 2007 at 09:25am.