Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Luv4Asian8 Send a message via Yahoo to Luv4Asian8
Question

Hi All,

Had a simple question, but has rather great implications. For HS mechs, already understanding that proper reporting order is

Color
Number
Foul
Ball

I was wondering proper HIGH SCHOOL mechs for reporting number. One hand with number ("34"), but is it Thirty-Four or Three-Four?

Personally, I like the full number "34" instead of "3-4." Anyhow, I know its pretty petty, but we all know it's the petty things that move us up.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
In Virginia, it one hand reporting whole numbers -

Color
Number (34)
Foul
Spot or two shot or 1-1

Of course, score the basket comes before all of that if a foul happens durning a shot.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

As a scorekeeper, I prefer to hear the full number "twenty-two" instead of "two . . . two." Too much confusion on repeated digits and (occasionally) if 1 or 2 shots is being indicated.

Also, through camps, the 'full number' system has been drilled into my head. My local board, however, teaches the rookies to go digit-by-digit. I haven't really switched over yet.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 09:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Luv4Asian8
Hi All,

Had a simple question, but has rather great implications. For HS mechs, already understanding that proper reporting order is

Color
Number
Foul
Ball
I do not know what you mean by "Ball." I know that after you report the foul, you need to tell everyone what we are going to do next. Either you point to the spot where the ball will be put at or you let everyone know the FT shooting situation.

Quote:
Originally posted by Luv4Asian8
I was wondering proper HIGH SCHOOL mechs for reporting number. One hand with number ("34"), but is it Thirty-Four or Three-Four?

Personally, I like the full number "34" instead of "3-4." Anyhow, I know its pretty petty, but we all know it's the petty things that move us up.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.
This is an area or evaluator thing. It does not matter. There are people on all sides of that debate. Do what you feel comfortable with until someone tells you to do something different. I personally say "three-four," because I feel it is less confusing to the scorekeeper and slows me down. I have never had anyone tell me to do it the other way, even though some evaluators specifically teach to call out the actual number.

Peace