The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Game Management (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/23737-game-management.html)

JCrow Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:55am

Last night, I did my best. I was working with a guy that was new....

33 seconds left. Dead quiet. Team A's gym. Team A ahead by 1. A1 shooting the Double Bonus. As A1 was preparing to shoot, B1 who occupied the first lane space bends over. The poor kid had a glass eye. It fell out and bounced in the middle of the lane. Al you could hear was, "CLICK...CLIck....click". I closed my fist to signal - "disconcertion of the shooter". A1 airmailed the freethrow. At roughly the same time, the eye rolled across the lane to A2 who kicked it across the court towards Team A's Bench. I immediately blew an Unsportsmanlike Technical on A2 who I was preparing to throw out of the game. But before I could do that.....Coach A gets up from the bench to pick up the glass eye rolling toward him. My partner had ejected Team A's Assistant Coach in the first period. The Coach caught a T in the third period for arguing a 3 second call. So Coach A has to be glued to the bench. When he got up to catch the eye.....my partner called another technical on him for leaving the bench. Thus, leaving Team A with no Coach for the last 33 seconds. We tried to explain to the Table why Team B had just won the game on a forfeit but by then the fans were pretty upset.

My only question is, should my partner have cut Coach A a break on catching the glass eye? I just think the guy was trying to be helpful.

PIAA REF Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:00pm

WOW

I hoenesty think that if I was reffing this I would retire. Nothing else to say but WOW!

just another ref Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:13pm

This has to be true. Nobody could make up a story that weird.

M&M Guy Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:17pm

Re: WOW

Quote:

Originally posted by PIAA REF
I hoenesty think that if I was reffing this I would retire. Nothing else to say but WOW!
Don't worry - JCrow "retired" many years ago. I'm just surprised the nurses at his facility let him use the computer.

Obviously there were too many eyes on A's coach. I would've let it go, unless the coach tossed it to your partner and told him he thought he might need it...

Jurassic Referee Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:21pm

Re: Re: WOW

Quote:

Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:

Don't worry - JCrow "retired" many years ago. I'm just surprised the nurses at his facility let him use the computer.

Obviously there were too many eyes on A's coach. <font color = red>I would've let it go</font>, unless the coach tossed it to your partner and told him he thought he might need it...

I might too....but I'd have kept an eye out for it though..........

Dan_ref Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:25pm

Re: Re: Re: WOW

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Quote:

Obviously there were too many eyes on A's coach. <font color = red>I would've let it go</font>, unless the coach tossed it to your partner and told him he thought he might need it...

I might too....but I'd have kept an eye out for it though..........

What did the prostitute with 1 glass eye say to her favorite customer?

I'll take "Stupid bar jokes" for 200, Alex.

M&M Guy Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:41pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: WOW

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref

Umm, in that case, it's "This is what the prostitute with one eye said to her favorite customer"

And, ok, I'll bite.

No, that's not my guess. I mean, what's the answer?

Dan_ref Fri Dec 16, 2005 01:04pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WOW

Quote:

Quote:

Umm, in that case, it's "This is what the prostitute with one eye said to her favorite customer"

And, ok, I'll bite.

OK, here's the short form of stupid joke:

A man goes to a house of ill repute (abbrev HOIR, let's just call it a HOIRhouse...) and there's only 1 HOIR worker available, an old woman with a glass eye. After a while the guy sez OK and goes in with her. She then proceeds to take out her eye and invites the man to partake. After some initial doubt he is amazed to find the experience quite rewarding and well worth the money. As he leaves he tells her so and she replies "Well, come back any time, I'll keep an eye out for you".

blindzebra Fri Dec 16, 2005 02:05pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JCrow
Last night, I did my best. I was working with a guy that was new....

33 seconds left. Dead quiet. Team A's gym. Team A ahead by 1. A1 shooting the Double Bonus. As A1 was preparing to shoot, B1 who occupied the first lane space bends over. The poor kid had a glass eye. It fell out and bounced in the middle of the lane. Al you could hear was, "CLICK...CLIck....click". I closed my fist to signal - "disconcertion of the shooter". A1 airmailed the freethrow. At roughly the same time, the eye rolled across the lane to A2 who kicked it across the court towards Team A's Bench. I immediately blew an Unsportsmanlike Technical on A2 who I was preparing to throw out of the game. But before I could do that.....Coach A gets up from the bench to pick up the glass eye rolling toward him. My partner had ejected Team A's Assistant Coach in the first period. The Coach caught a T in the third period for arguing a 3 second call. So Coach A has to be glued to the bench. When he got up to catch the eye.....my partner called another technical on him for leaving the bench. Thus, leaving Team A with no Coach for the last 33 seconds. We tried to explain to the Table why Team B had just won the game on a forfeit but by then the fans were pretty upset.

My only question is, should my partner have cut Coach A a break on catching the glass eye? I just think the guy was trying to be helpful.

To be serious about your question...since nobody else appears to be...what would have happened if when you saw the eye, you'd have whistled the ball dead, got the eye situation fixed and re-administered the free throws?

No, violation on a kid that really, did not violate, IMO.

No T on A2 for possibly just being freaked out, I know I'd be weirded out by an eye rolling at me, so was kicking it really an unsporting act? Heck they might not have even known what it was, they may have thought someone had thrown something on the floor.

No T on a coach for picking up the poor kid's eye. Really was this within the spirit and intent of the rules?

Ref Daddy Fri Dec 16, 2005 02:08pm

Glass Eye rolling across the floor?

Was it considered jewlery?
Did it have an improper team or NBA Logo on it?
Did it roll off the floor for unauthorized reasons?

Jurassic Referee Fri Dec 16, 2005 04:13pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WOW

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And, ok, I'll bite.

OK, here's the short form of stupid joke:

A man goes to a house of ill repute (abbrev HOIR, let's just call it a HOIRhouse...) and there's only 1 HOIR worker available, an old woman with a glass eye. After a while the guy sez OK and goes in with her. She then proceeds to take out her eye and invites the man to partake. After some initial doubt he is amazed to find the experience quite rewarding and well worth the money. As he leaves he tells her so and she replies "Well, come back any time, I'll keep an eye out for you".

Didn't they make that into a sitcom?

<b>"Just Another Day At The Orifice"</b>

bob jenkins Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:02pm

A coach once told me, "There's no 'I' in Team." I realize now that he meant "eye."

Jurassic Referee Sat Dec 17, 2005 03:12am

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
A coach once told me, "There's no 'I' in Team." I realize now that he meant "eye."

Eye-yi-yi.......

Or......Eye Vey.....

zebra44 Sat Dec 17, 2005 05:42am

Game management from the host school should have been notified. Sounds like they were having trouble controlling the other school's pupils..........

mick Sat Dec 17, 2005 09:38am

Quote:

Originally posted by zebra44
Game management from the host school should have been notified. Sounds like they were having trouble controlling the other school's pupils..........
:)

JCrow Mon Dec 19, 2005 07:41am

My partner who is kind of crass, said to the kid,

"Put that eye back in and this time.....try to keep a lid on it."

chrs_schuster Mon Dec 19, 2005 09:04am

This has to be the weirdest post I have ever read!! BUT, to be serious for a minute, How could you call disconcertion on the free throw? Hes not doing it on purpose to bother the shooter. I think all this trouble started with you! If you just would have been a little more "not by the book" and called for your time before the free throw, had the coach or the kid in question pick up the eye, all of this would have been avoided. Then to top off the situation, you end the game on T's which should not have happened in the first place. WOW!!

mick Mon Dec 19, 2005 09:34am

Quote:

Originally posted by chrs_schuster
This has to be the weirdest post I have ever read!! BUT, to be serious for a minute, How could you call disconcertion on the free throw? Hes not doing it on purpose to bother the shooter. I think all this trouble started with you! If you just would have been a little more "not by the book" and called for your time before the free throw, had the coach or the kid in question pick up the eye, all of this would have been avoided. Then to top off the situation, you end the game on T's which should not have happened in the first place. WOW!!
chrs_schuster,
I'll see that WOW and raise you two.
;)
mick

Jurassic Referee Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:34am

Quote:

Originally posted by chrs_schuster
Artificial eyes are illegal anyway. They're a head decoration, as per R3-5-2. The player should have been directed to leave the game.

M&M Guy Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:38am

Quote:

Artificial eyes are illegal anyway. They're a head decoration, as per R3-5-2. The player should have been directed to leave the game.
Couldn't you see your way clear to let them play if they have a letter from the state association?

JCrow Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:42am

I admit my calling "disconcertion" on the kid with a glass eye started the whole mess but I distinctly saw him fussing with his eye socket prior to the eye hitting the floor. I thought it was premeditated eye removal.

I learned after the fact that his Coach regularly uses this as a ploy in tight games. I feel really bad as this highly unsportsmanlike tatic worked PERFECTLY and through a series of unfortunate events won the game for the Glass Eye Team.

I'm reffing this Team again later in the week and I plan on making the Coach tape the eye in place before the kid enters the court.

Jurassic Referee Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:55am

Quote:

I admit my calling "disconcertion" on the kid with a glass eye started the whole mess but I distinctly saw him fussing with his eye socket prior to the eye hitting the floor. I thought it was premeditated eye removal.

I learned after the fact that his Coach regularly uses this as a ploy in tight games. I feel really bad as this highly unsportsmanlike tatic worked PERFECTLY and through a series of unfortunate events won the game for the Glass Eye Team.

Sounds like we need to petition the NFHS for a rule change. It's now a technical foul if you remove your pants or shirt within the visual confines of the playing area. They should make removing an eye in the visual confines a technical foul too. Or, if the officials hesitate to call that a "T", you could make it a violation instead- something like "A player shall not have an eye out for an unauthorized reason".

mick Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:58am

Quote:

I'm reffing this Team again later in the week and I plan on making the Coach tape the eye in place before the kid enters the court.
Good eyedea.

M&M Guy Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:59am

Quote:

They should make removing an eye in the visual confines a technical foul too.
But, once he removes it, isn't it then outside the "visual confines"?

Dan_ref Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:09am

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds like we need to petition the NFHS for a rule change. It's now a technical foul if you remove your pants or shirt within the visual confines of the playing area. They should make removing an eye in the visual confines a technical foul too. Or, if the officials hesitate to call that a "T", you could make it a violation instead- something like "A player shall not have an eye out for an unauthorized reason".

We'll need some case book plays to clarify the new rule imo. For instance:

A1, who has a glass eye, sets a screen for A2. As A1 then rolls to the basket his glass eye falls out, freeing him from defender B1 who slips on the glass eye. Undefended A1 recieves A2's pass and makes an easy layup. In this play a) the glass eye accidentally fell out b) A1 plucked the eye out on his own volition c) A2 smacked the back of A1's head causing the eye to fall out d) coach A rolled a handful of marbles across the floor in an effort to decieve.

Your rulings please.

M&M Guy Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:14am

Quote:

d) coach A rolled a handful of marbles across the floor in an effort to decieve.

Your rulings please.
My ruling in d) eye before e except after c.

mick Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:19am

Quote:

Quote:

d) coach A rolled a handful of marbles across the floor in an effort to decieve.

Your rulings please.

There's sc<B>ie</B>nce on the n<B>ei</B>ghbor's c<B>ei</B>ling

M&M Guy Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:26am

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Quote:

Your rulings please.

Sounds like you need to go look that over.

And, when you get back - shut up.

:D

Dan_ref Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:26am

Quote:

Quote:

Your rulings please.

You can forget that donut I was gonna email you for Christmas.

M&M Guy Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:35am

Quote:

:p That's ok, I'm waiting for Chuck's donut to arrive.

JCrow Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:35am

Don't laugh. In the late 60's Slippery Rock College had a Center with a prostheysis arm. The kid had an artificial arm from his elbow down. During games he would take it off on defense and hold it in his other hand to block shots. It gave him a 10'-6" standing reach. As I remember, he and Artis Gilmore were leading the Nation in shot-blocks through December. The NCAA acted in mid-season to outlaw the action which institigated a slew of lawsuits from people with one arm. You don't hear much about it because the NCAA settled out of court. The next year, the kid flunked out and there's been an "Artifical Device Rule" since.

mick Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:37am

Quote:

:D

Uh, I think I'll overlook you.

Jurassic Referee Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:38am

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Your rulings please.

Yeah....
http://www.forumspile.com/STFU-Sit_down.jpg

mick Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:41am

Quote:

Quote:

Then w<B>ei</B>gh yourself.

M&M Guy Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:47am

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Then w<B>ei</B>gh yourself.
I'm afreid to.

Kevzebra Mon Dec 19, 2005 02:02pm

Voting to close this segment!

Votes taken: the EYES have it!

Thread adjourned!