Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
There are many times when I really wish I could see some people on this forum work. You are really stuck on this theory that Big O wasn't hustling. Your comments give me some idea about you running around just to be in the same area as the ball even if it means you run by the majority of the players.

Yesterday I say 7 players stay back when three were on the other end. This was in a D2 game, so it does happen. It is normally called a fast break. The other players think the play is going to be over before they can get down there. It happened Friday too in a high school game. Maybe someone has experience but they don't have enough experience.

The day I think that my movement, at any position, should be controlled by where the ball goes, is the day I should hang them up. What kind of logic is involved when someone says you should go more than distance B when the ball has to go distance A? Then you have the nerve to say you aren't talking about ball watching? Maybe you got that by somebody, but you didn't get it past me!

[Edited by tomegun on Dec 19th, 2005 at 05:19 AM]
Big O wasn't hustling.

Go back and read each of his posts.

Something new gets added as an excuse each and every time, it's smelled fishy from the start, IMO.

I too would love to see some of you work too, because I damn well know that what you are saying you do and what you do in actual 2 person games is different.

So it is impossible to run open to the floor?

It is not possible to move and keep players within your field of vision?

It is harder than planting roots and watching the backsides of 7 players running the other way and leaving your partner alone, but not impossible.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Against my better judgement, here goes:

bz, you've posted 14 replies to this particular thread. Of the 14, 12 have put another official down in some manner by implying or calling them lazy, not able to keep up (mentally or physically), not hustling, lying, etc. I would guess that you have not met or seen any of these officials, but yet you're more than willing to put them down. I can't speak for you in particular, but I do know that is not a good quality for an official who wants to move up. Constantly putting other people down might feel good initially, but it does not help in the long run. I know from watching this happen to other officials as they do not advance. I hope this is not a quality you possess in everyday life.

The original question that was asked, essentially, "I was a long way away from a play, should I have called it?" You did not answer that specific question until your post #11. You did pose some questions of your own, and answered them prior to that, but not the original question until pressed. You also did not answer any of the questions posed to you, and kept going back only to the point you wanted to make. Communication is a two-way street, and it is extremely important as you advance as an official. A theme that is brought up many times in different camps that I've attended is the thing that separates the good official from the great official is not the calls on the court, but how they handle people. This includes not only the players and coaches, but AD's, other officials, supervisors and assigners. I have seen many good "floor" officials not advance because their people skills were lacking in some form.

You have also made some comments that show a lack of some principles of 2-person mechanics. Maybe this is more a result of your communication rather than an actual lack of knowledge. But, when you make the comment, "It's not the trail's job to stay back and watch the other 7 players", you are dead wrong in that statement. It absolutely is the trail's job. Granted, in most games, nothing will ever happen with those 7 players. But, it is that "once every 5 years" incident that could keep you from advancing. In fact, if that were to happen in a higher-level game (NCAA), you would most likely lose your schedule and your position in the conference if something were to happen with players that you've left behind you. And don't tell me that you don't need to know 2-person mechanics in an NCAA game, because I saw a D-3 game officiated that way just last week when one of the officials didn't make it in due to weather. You did start to back-track a little in your last post when you mentioned opening up to the players. But, the further up court you move, you cannot watch those players AND watch the play in front of your partner, unless you were trailing the play, to be able to see both within your field of vision.

I've learned over time in camps to never argue with a clinician, even if they're dead wrong. The idea is to take the information given and decide whether it is useful in your game, or not. The same with information given here; much is useful, some is crappy. I'm also not naive enough to know that the same is true with information I hand out. But imo, learning the right way to communicate will go a long way in your officiating career. Take it for what it's worth.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy

bz, you've posted 14 replies to this particular thread. Of the 14, 12 have put another official down in some manner by implying or calling them lazy, not able to keep up (mentally or physically), not hustling, lying, etc. I would guess that you have not met or seen any of these officials, but yet you're more than willing to put them down. I can't speak for you in particular, but I do know that is not a good quality for an official who wants to move up. Constantly putting other people down might feel good initially, but it does not help in the long run. I know from watching this happen to other officials as they do not advance. I hope this is not a quality you possess in everyday life.

The original question that was asked, essentially, "I was a long way away from a play, should I have called it?" You did not answer that specific question until your post #11. You did pose some questions of your own, and answered them prior to that, but not the original question until pressed. You also did not answer any of the questions posed to you, and kept going back only to the point you wanted to make. Communication is a two-way street, and it is extremely important as you advance as an official. A theme that is brought up many times in different camps that I've attended is the thing that separates the good official from the great official is not the calls on the court, but how they handle people. This includes not only the players and coaches, but AD's, other officials, supervisors and assigners. I have seen many good "floor" officials not advance because their people skills were lacking in some form.

You have also made some comments that show a lack of some principles of 2-person mechanics. Maybe this is more a result of your communication rather than an actual lack of knowledge. But, when you make the comment, "It's not the trail's job to stay back and watch the other 7 players", you are dead wrong in that statement. It absolutely is the trail's job. Granted, in most games, nothing will ever happen with those 7 players. But, it is that "once every 5 years" incident that could keep you from advancing. In fact, if that were to happen in a higher-level game (NCAA), you would most likely lose your schedule and your position in the conference if something were to happen with players that you've left behind you. And don't tell me that you don't need to know 2-person mechanics in an NCAA game, because I saw a D-3 game officiated that way just last week when one of the officials didn't make it in due to weather. You did start to back-track a little in your last post when you mentioned opening up to the players. But, the further up court you move, you cannot watch those players AND watch the play in front of your partner, unless you were trailing the play, to be able to see both within your field of vision.

I've learned over time in camps to never argue with a clinician, even if they're dead wrong. The idea is to take the information given and decide whether it is useful in your game, or not. The same with information given here; much is useful, some is crappy. I'm also not naive enough to know that the same is true with information I hand out. But imo, learning the right way to communicate will go a long way in your officiating career. Take it for what it's worth.
Yep, as soon as I call a game and communicate with a key board during this game I'm in big trouble.

Let's take a really good look at this re-read the the first post. How much info other than we had a rookie ref and a vet that found himself 70 feet from the play?

Not much, so I said perhaps if the vet did not allow himself to be 70 feet away, his entire question would not need to be asked.

To which the usual smart arse, throws his 2 cents in, trying to be funny...emphasis on trying.

Other's including yourself picked up on this attempt at humor and started making absolute statements based on incomplete information...you know just what you are accusing me of doing.

I respond, and after a few posts, Big O picks up the 7 players as his excuse, and then begins adding to the original situation. Unfortunately what he adds, further strengthens my opinion that he allowed himself to stay back instead of working to be in a position to help his partner.

The theory of officiating and the practice of it often differ, ESPECIALLY when it is 2 person.

We constantly have to decide where we need to be, what court areas might need to be uncovered to call the play. Sorry but 3 players and the ball starting right in front of me in the backcourt and moving down my side line is going to get some of my attention.

I also need to repeat that this play started below the arch on new leads side with the steal during a break. Common sense tells me that if that is the case, some players will be trailing this play before the steal, so are we to believe that these players just continued up court and then stopped and made no attempt to even jog back the other way, when A1 had 70 feet to travel for the lay up?

Nope, not buying it.

I'm always going to get to where I judge I need to be for the best of the game, and sometimes that means players will be behind me.

Now how about answering my question?

What number of players need to be in the FC on this play before you move to the FC?
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 05:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

You got that right, M. Let that be a lesson to you.

Waste of time.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Waste of time.
Well, it's like the old saying about beating your head against a wall - it feels soooo good when you stop. So I guess I'll stop.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

I've scanned the thread from start to finish, and still don't really know, for sure....

Exactly how the play unfolded

How many players were where or when

And as often happens here, there's so much chest-thumping and wanting to be right, that six pages later, the OP is not really any closer to an answer than he was four days ago.

Merry Christmas.

Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Waste of time.
Well, it's like the old saying about beating your head against a wall - it feels soooo good when you stop. So I guess I'll stop.
Geeze, took ya long enough.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Holy sh*t, let's put this thing to rest........

Did I tell anyone that it's my birthday tomorrow, 42 years young......

Happy Holiday's everyone......
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 08:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BIG O

Have a Happy Birthday, O.

And a great Holiday to you and yours.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 08:28pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by BIG O

BIG O,
Look at the bottom of the page and find the open/close thread button.
It's your thread so you can close it and/or open it.
Happy Birthday.
mick
Closed Thread