The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

This happened in a rec game I was watching Saturday - been thinking about it ever since. Early in the game A1 is fouled and goes to the line. R notices that A1 is wearing a necklace (it was under a t-shirt and is now poking out) and sends him to the bench to remove and has Coach A replace the player. Coach B goes balistic becuase A6 is a much better FT shooter.

Now if I am doing a rec game, I probably would have the kid take of the necklace and give it to me to give to the coach the next time I went by him, or just have him hand it to the coach. But coach A is someone I talk rules with a lot and I know he is going to ask me about it tomorrow when I see him.

So - was this by the book? Having a hard time finding relevant rules.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

rec league, make him take it off, let him shoot!!! jmo
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

The player is not properly equipped. Per the case book, if the player's shirt tail were out, you would remove everyone from the lane, shoot the FTs, send him out and then give the ball to B. I would handle this situation the same way. I would not replace the FT shooter.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
The player is not properly equipped. Per the case book, if the player's shirt tail were out, you would remove everyone from the lane, shoot the FTs, send him out and then give the ball to B. I would handle this situation the same way. I would not replace the FT shooter.
Thanks for helping me find the case, CB 3.4.15
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
At subvarsity level, does anyone ever remove players from the game for not having shirts tucked in on the first occurence? If not, how many "warnings" do you give before you actually remove a player from the game? Where I'm from, a lot of the jerseys are cut short and come out by themselves.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjchamp
At subvarsity level, does anyone ever remove players from the game for not having shirts tucked in on the first occurence? If not, how many "warnings" do you give before you actually remove a player from the game? Where I'm from, a lot of the jerseys are cut short and come out by themselves.
1 warning, no mater the level. After the first quarter, we're through with warnings.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

As far as shirts out at the lower levels, if I have repeat offenders, I'll let them know that this is the last time I'm telling them, and next time they go to the bench. I have sent players to the bench before. I tend to crack down on this more at the lower levels to prepare them for varsity.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Necklace:
On the necklace, remember that Religious and medical-alert medals are not considered jewelry. Just in case.

Might save on a technicality if you see what it is first.

Shirt-tails:
in association meeting it was discussed - what if weak free throw shooter pulled shirt-tail out just to sit himself down and not face those last second game on the line shots they were just awarded.

Advantage / Disadvantage principle. Unsportsmanship T.

Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
I don't have this years case book in front of me, but last years cb (3.4.15) indicates the free throws will be shot by the person who was fouled with the lane cleared. Then shooter will leave the game, and opponent will inbound the ball.