The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA Mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/23644-ncaa-mechanics.html)

All_Heart Mon Dec 12, 2005 01:06pm

I don't have the NCAA mechanics books so I can't look this up.

When do the officals blow there whistles in the front court before a throw-in? NCAA Men's & Women's.

Does the trail chop the clock in the frontcourt?

I've heard different things from different people and I want to know the rule.

M&M Guy Mon Dec 12, 2005 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by All_Heart

When do the officals blow there whistles in the front court before a throw-in? NCAA Men's & Women's.

I've heard different things from different people and I want to know the rule.

In NCAA-W, the L blows the whistle before all front court throw-ins along the baseline, and chops in time. The T mirrors the chop. Otherwise, the mechanics are similar to Fed.

I will allow my other esteemed collegues to give the mechanics for NCAA-M. :)

IREFU2 Mon Dec 12, 2005 01:34pm

In the SEC, the T does mirror L on chopping the clock. Dont know about other conferences. In FED, I been doing this when the ball is in the front court opposite the table on the inline.

JRutledge Mon Dec 12, 2005 01:40pm

Quote:

In Men's mechanics I do not recall that anything specific is said about this other than if there is a long delay to blow the whistle. I also do not have the books in front of me, so I am trying to remember what is in the book. I do know that I have been taught to blow the whistle at certain times at camp.

Quote:

No, not in Men's mechanics. Even thought it is used by certain officials. But it is not the approved mechanic.

Peace

Dan_ref Mon Dec 12, 2005 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

In Men's mechanics I do not recall that anything specific is said about this other than if there is a long delay to blow the whistle. I also do not have the books in front of me, so I am trying to remember what is in the book. I do know that I have been taught to blow the whistle at certain times at camp.

Quote:

No, not in Men's mechanics. Even thought it is used by certain officials. But it is not the approved mechanic.

Peace

It is an approved ncaam mechanic this year.

If the L is handling the throw-in on the sideline below the FT line the T will count and chop. L does not count or chop.

JRutledge Mon Dec 12, 2005 02:13pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref

It is an approved ncaam mechanic this year.

If the L is handling the throw-in on the sideline below the FT line the T will count and chop. L does not count or chop.

That is not the same situations. That only applies to if the ball is below the FT line extended and the Lead is supposed to bounce the ball on the sideline and the Trail is supposed to give the count and shot in the time. That is completely different from what NCAA Women's Mechanics do. The Trail chops in the clock if the ball is on the sideline or the endline. Not the same thing. This is the only time (if you want to really compare) when the Trail would chop in the clock during Men's games. This is a very narrow senario. In the conference I work, we were told not to use this mechanic. The assignor wants us to either bring the ball above FT line extended or to just have the Trail administer the throw in.

Peace

Indy_Ref Mon Dec 12, 2005 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
...and the Trail is supposed to give the count and chop in the time.

Peace

Actually, if you look right under the picture on page 20 (I think!) of the manual where it discusses this new mechanic, it says the L is actually supposed to count. One of my assignors hates this mechanic and has told us not to use it--T administers, counts, & chops. Another assignor leaves it up to us. We do what each assignor wants. When working for the one that does not care, we have generally allowed the L to administer and T has the count & the chop.

Derrick Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:12am

During a frontcourt throw in FT line extended. Does the T chops the time even if the throw-in comes from the endline?

BOBBYMO Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:18am

During a frontcourt throw in FT line extended. Does the T chops the time even if the throw-in comes from the endline?

In NCAAW everytime the L administers a throw in and the ball is staying in the front court..... The T will chop in time.