The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 10:55am
Do not give a damn!!

The post by ATX Coach got me to start thinking about creating a post.

What is with coaches asking questions?

I have had a few times over this season and even over the years where a coach asks a question that I deem to be legitimate, then they get upset when you actually answer their question.

Now to be fair I have had coaches that asked questions very calmly and I gave and answer and they would leave us alone the rest of the game. I just also had coaches on the other spectrum where you respond to them at the appropriate time and they explode. It just seems like this is happening more and more. It is because the coaches are not as experienced enough or is the TV interactions becoming more influential? This question might not have an answer, I was just thinking about this philosophically.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 11:11am
Huck Finn

This is interesting because sometimes a coach will respond in such a manner that they wanted you to give them a BS answer. When you give them a direct answer, they hit the roof for some reason.
I have went so far as to explain something to a coach and (gently) tell them that it isn't going to change and anything further will not do any good. I only ask that question or make that statement in rec type games, but I just want to see what is going through their mind. It isn't like we say, "I think I have a foul" or "it might be a travel." Once the call is made and the explanation give - if asked for the right way - what is arguing really going to do?
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

I'm sure there is a coach somewhere who feels his question/comment to a referee had a butterfly effect, and brought down the Berlin wall, and the fall of communism.

So, they keep asking them in the hopes something else good will happen.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

It's usually an ejoyable conversation when the coach starts the dialogue with "this happened in our game last week and I'd like to know what you think......".

I will usually answer with "not seeing the play myself" or "the play as you described it". I try to keep in mind that maybe they are leaving something out of the story.

Whenever coaches ask a question during the game (dead ball situation) they don't really want to know what you saw or ruled on as if they see your response not going their way they will try to cut you off before you can finish. I guess they do not understand that this tends to shut down the communication lines.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 11:23am
Do not give a damn!!

Tommy,

That is so true. When I answer in a direct way without hyperbole or trying to pull the wool over their eyes, they act as if I called their mother all kinds of names. I think I might go back to not saying anything at all.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Tommy,

That is so true. When I answer in a direct way without hyperbole or trying to pull the wool over their eyes, they act as if I called their mother all kinds of names. I think I might go back to not saying anything at all.

Peace
"Coach, you asked me a question and I gave you an answer." "Answering questions is a courtesy we provide. If you are going to turn it into a debate, you will lose that courtesy."

Then I tell my partners what happened.

Next time, whack.

Questions either stop or become reasonable.

Z
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tommy,

Peace
JRut

Coaches generally ask questions to see if we are full of crap based on what they saw (or didn't see for that matter). You can give a great explanation, but rare is the coach that is going to change their point of view and say that we actually got it right. The coach that asks a question has probably figured out that making statements really doesn't help that coach when they are trying to "work" an official. This way they appear to be a "friendly" coach.

Most questions and comments are used by coaches to figure out what they can get away with or as an exploratory tool to see if the official is qualified (in their mind) to work that particular game by being able to provide an answer that will satisfy them.

The fact is this, coaches are generally paranoid and think that officials are out to get them. The don't care one little bit about the officials that work their games. Do they hang out with referees outside of games and the occassional bump into them by accident? If they did we would get cards for our birthdays and Christmas. They only care about winning and if they don't get that from the official on their floor that game, they think we screwed them.

I got this valuable piece of info from a D1 ref I know and I have incorporated it so that it fits me. But, as far as I am concerned, they can ask questions any time, but I have the choice as to the timing of my reply. If the game is in need of my complete attention, I might reply, "Now is not a good time, coach." Then a little later I get back to them, "Still have a question coach?" I believe that they are entitled to a reply, but we aren't going to have constant questions, especially if it becomes a distraction.

[Edited by icallfouls on Dec 12th, 2005 at 11:49 AM]
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Quote:
Tommy,

Peace
JRut,

I say pick your spots with this one. Some coaches will calm down if you approach them calmly, but if they are whining and complaining prior to you addressing them, they are probably going to whine when you address them and continue after you answer their "question". Keep the game flowing. As you have been doing this longer than I have, I'm sure you know this already.

If the play is an 'obvious call' play, most of the coaches film the games anyway, let 'em watch it again later. They'll see it. Otherwise, let them soak in their own mental misery, and continue to handle your game. If they get out of line, use one of the tools available to you to put them back in line.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 12:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by icallfouls

JRut

Coaches generally ask questions to see if we are full of crap based on what they saw (or didn't see for that matter). You can give a great explanation, but rare is the coach that is going to change their point of view and say that we actually got it right. The coach that asks a question has probably figured out that making statements really doesn't help that coach when they are trying to "work" an official. This way they appear to be a "friendly" coach.
I realize that coaches are trying to figure us out. That is what they always do. I just wanted to see if I was the only one that was dealing with these stupid coaches that ask a question and get all bent out of shape when their question is answered. It is clear I am not the only one. I just had more situations this year (even in football) and I was wondering what might have changed.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 12:25pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Tommy,

Peace
"Coach, you asked me a question and I gave you an answer." "Answering questions is a courtesy we provide. If you are going to turn it into a debate, you will lose that courtesy."

Then I tell my partners what happened.

Next time, whack.

Questions either stop or become reasonable.

Z
Sweet.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

I also think that the coaches are asking more questions now because we are being instructed more to "only" respond to questions, not statements.

Honestly, that philosophy was presented strongly by two top-notch college officials at two camps I attended this summer/fall. I had not thought about it before, but started applying it right away. So far, it seems to be helping my game management.

I have to believe that good coaches are picking up on the technique and asking "more questions" rather than making more statements.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

In High school games I donÂ’t get to many stupid questions from coaches. It is the Rec. CYO. Youth league coaches that get on my nerves. Most have no clue about the rules. I never get in to discussions with these guys. I keep it short and to the point. The longer you drag it out with a coach the more trouble you are asking for. The way I see it when it comes to Judgment calls, there is nothing to discuss. That is the way I was it, we move on. When it comes to rules interpretation there is room for discussion there. This approach works for me.