The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Drop Step Traveling Call (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/23625-drop-step-traveling-call.html)

johnny1784 Mon Dec 12, 2005 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Ref in PA
Some things I thought of while reading this thread were:

1) sometimes refs are looking at contact up high between the two post players and do not pay close attention to the feet.

2) As a coach, you should be ready to coach "adjustment" to your players, depending on how the refs are calling; be it traveling calls, or a tight game, or a loose game. If your players have 0 fouls, they are not playing aggressive enough or if they foul out, they were playing too aggressive. If the drop step is being called a travel for that game, time to do something else.

3) I agree it is a travel and when I recognize it in my games, I call it. I think it gets called up here consistently.

* Depending on if you're at the Lead or Trail position for 2 person and or Center in 3 person mechanics. Your Trail should look off ball to help Lead with the high/low calls, then shift eyes to the rim for the shot.

* You can still play aggressive and not have any team fouls.

* I do the same but so many other ref's should take time to view some videos on traveling violations.

ATXCoach Mon Dec 12, 2005 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Ref in PA

2) As a coach, you should be ready to coach "adjustment" to your players, depending on how the refs are calling; be it traveling calls, or a tight game, or a loose game. If your players have 0 fouls, they are not playing aggressive enough or if they foul out, they were playing too aggressive. If the drop step is being called a travel for that game, time to do something else.

I agree Ref in PA.

rwest Mon Dec 12, 2005 04:17pm

Videos?

Where can I get a copy or view these videos online?

Thanks!

BktBallRef Mon Dec 12, 2005 04:17pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ATXCoach
In your responses, you stated that all three of my examples (drop step, layup, stepping into the shot) are travels as I describe them. Simply put, why are they called so rarely then by the referees in my area? (The referees I am refering to are mostly upper level, experienced high school refs that have earned the right to officiate college games. I would consider them extremely qualified and far more educated to referee than myself, as is everyone of you on this board).
That's simple. Because most officials would rather give the player the benefit of the doubt, rather than calling a violation when one didn't occur.

johnny1784 Tue Dec 13, 2005 01:26am

Re: Videos?

Quote:

Originally posted by rwest
Where can I get a copy or view these videos online?

Thanks!

Try;

http://www.nfhs.org/scriptcontent/Va...content_ID=102

BASKETBALL RULES REVIEW This 17-minute video was produced by the
National Federation of State High School Associations. It was shot
on location in Indianapolis, with the assistance of student-athletes
from an area high school. Some of the fundamental aspects of the
game that are illustrated include: block/charge, post play, hand
checking, palming, closely guarded, and more. The scenes also
include segments on proper officialsÂ’ mechanics. (Released 2000)
(V-BKRR)............................................. ...........................$39.95
TRAVELING AND DRIBBLING This 14-minute video is invaluable in teach-ing
the basics of the traveling-dribbling rule. Scenes have been
taken from both NFHS and NCAA films and tapes and the video
is excellent for those using either NFHS or NCAA rules.
(Released 1994)
(V-BKBTD)............................................ ..........................$24.95
BLOCKING, CHARGING AND VERTICALITY This 14-minute video is an excel-lent
teaching tool for officials, coaches and players. Scenes have
been compiled from various NFHS videos to provide the viewer
with the best instruction possible. (Released 1992)
(V-BKB) .................................................. ........................$24.95

WinterWillie Tue Dec 13, 2005 08:39am

Quote:

I coach a girl's summer team and subscribe to the power post approach. I teach my posts to drop step without dribbling. Many of their high school coaches differ and tell them they are travelling, eventhough the very same officials that call the summer games referee the high school games.

With regards to the my* drop step, it's rarely called a travel, but I can't find any rules that say why it's legal. I teach the drop step as follows: After catching the ball with both feet on the ground, 1) immediately chin or forehead the ball with elbows out; 2) drop with the baseline foot to the basket; 3) bring the other foot around and put it on the floor; and 4) jump off both feet and shoot.

When I am asked why the move isn't a travel by my players, I don't know what to say. Thanks for any help.

* I've seen lots of literature and video that show jumping off the dropping foot, without putting the other foot on the floor first.

Taken from the simplified version of "Basketball for Dummies": You get one step and a half to pass or shoot, or one step to begin a dribble.

Jurassic Referee Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:08am

Quote:

Originally posted by WinterWillie

[/B]
Taken from the simplified version of "Basketball for Dummies": You get one step and a half to pass or shoot, or one step to begin a dribble. [/B][/QUOTE]I'm glad that's "Basketball for Dummies" and not "Basketball for Officials". :) It sureasheck ain't true for all cases. Case in point-- rule 4-44-4.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 13th, 2005 at 10:11 AM]

WinterWillie Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:09am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Originally posted by WinterWillie

Taken from the simplified version of "Basketball for Dummies": You get one step and a half to pass or shoot, or one step to begin a dribble. I'm glad that's "Basketball for Dummies" and not "Basketball for Officials". :) It sureasheck ain't true for all cases. Case in point-- rule 4-44-4.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 13th, 2005 at 10:11 AM] [/B]
Taken from the complex version of "The Complete Idiots Basketball Book" If you have no pivot foot, subtract one step from the aforementioned one step and a half to pass or shoot and subtract one step from one step to begin a dribble. :)

Nate1224hoops Tue Dec 13, 2005 02:53pm

Quote:

I coach a girl's summer team and subscribe to the power post approach. I teach my posts to drop step without dribbling. Many of their high school coaches differ and tell them they are travelling, eventhough the very same officials that call the summer games referee the high school games.

With regards to the my* drop step, it's rarely called a travel, but I can't find any rules that say why it's legal. I teach the drop step as follows: After catching the ball with both feet on the ground, 1) immediately chin or forehead the ball with elbows out; 2) drop with the baseline foot to the basket; 3) bring the other foot around and put it on the floor; and 4) jump off both feet and shoot.

When I am asked why the move isn't a travel by my players, I don't know what to say. Thanks for any help.

* I've seen lots of literature and video that show jumping off the dropping foot, without putting the other foot on the floor first.

I am also a coach and you are teaching your kids to travel. What you need to do is to teach your kids to take that initial drop step as the ball is coming. When the pass is received then the drop step has already occurred and it now becomes the pivot foot. So that the other foot can move up beside drop stepped foot. This is the way I teach it.