The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 11, 2005, 02:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Tonight I had the "pleasure" of waving off a last second shot that would've won the game for the visiting team in regulation. Unfortunately, the shot was at least 1/4 to 1/2 second late and as soon as the horn sounded, I stepped up (3-person, C, opposite) and whistled and signaled "no good." Closest one I've had, but I know I nailed it, even without replay

Then I continued to whistle and signal until the visitors stopped celebrating.

They won by 7 in OT. We drove through 240 miles of snow and sleet to work this one (roundtrip). I would've given this one back had that been an option.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2005, 06:51am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

It's really a good feeling when you know you got a big call right, isn't it, Rich?

Way to do your job.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2005, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

My partner had the exact opposite last night. 5 seconds left, ball is inbounded throwin to corner and back out, partner was there. The kid went up for the three, my partner marked hit, horn goes off mid flight, The ball drilled right thru, he glanced at me to make sure I had nothing and scored it. Perfect mechanics!
Old Sun Dec 11, 2005, 05:46pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
My partner had the exact opposite last night. 5 seconds left, ball is inbounded throwin to corner and back out, partner was there. The kid went up for the three, my partner marked hit, horn goes off mid flight, The ball drilled right thru, he glanced at me to make sure I had nothing and scored it. Perfect mechanics!
I had a similar game last night. The #12 team in the country was on the ropes! Their star showed why he is a star in overtime and that was that. Better game than I thought it would be.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2005, 06:01pm
M.A.S.H.

Way to be Rich.

I've seen a couple things this year. I've seen the Trail take the last second shot no matter if they are table side or opposite. Probably something that was in their pre-game. I didn't really see the advantage to doing it this way other than it might be the way their crew has always done it.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2005, 06:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Way to be Rich.

I've seen a couple things this year. I've seen the Trail take the last second shot no matter if they are table side or opposite. Probably something that was in their pre-game. I didn't really see the advantage to doing it this way other than it might be the way their crew has always done it.
Are you talking about in a 3 Person game or two person game?

Peace
Old Sun Dec 11, 2005, 06:51pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Way to be Rich.

Are you talking about in a 3 Person game or two person game?

Peace
3 of course.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2005, 07:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

I figured that was what you were talking about. I think many officials make the last second shot so complicated by not just following the mechanics. I have heard it all from locking down. To call the shot based on who is facing the scoreboard. To allowing only the C (regardless of position) to call the last second shot. To make the C official opposite table no matter where the ball is located. I can tell you from experience that I have hardly every had a last second shot that was difficult to rule on from the opposite table Trail or Center no matter where the ball is on the court. Usually something else is happening and the last second shot is immaterial. Oh well, I digress.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 11, 2005, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Must have been the weekend for close games. Friday night I had my first nut-cutter of the year. Worked 2 man as it was a smaller school out of my usual area I work. I went up to help a friend from high school who's partner is out for a while. My partner called a push from lead with 3 seconds left that put the visiting team on the line (great call btw from my pov). Home team rims out a 3/4 shot that would have won it by one. Home fans were not or best friends, so luckily the boys game was smooth and a blow out (the cutter was the girls side of a B/G doubleheader). We got out of town at a decent time and met up with another crew for a cold one. Nights like that are pretty much exactly why we work games. I would have rather had a closer boys game, but after the heated girls game, it was ok to have things settle down a little.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 05:14am
Official Forum Member

Had my partner wave off a half court shot to end the first half the other night that was really easy, the kid was bringing it up when the horn went off.

Two years ago I had the last shot when a kid hit a 3 pointer to send it to OT and the same kid hit a put back to win it in OT.