The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
What is the mercy rule? Over 40 point lead and the clock runs then under 30 point lead it returns to normal, or is it 35? I looked for this in the rule book but couldn't find anything. What is the reference?
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 11:11am
M.A.S.H.

It depends luke. Contact your state for all the information, it's a state adopted rule.

Here in Illinois (last year, not this year) it was a 30 point lead going into the 4th or at any point in the 4th when the margin reached 30 points the clock would run. Once this status was reached, there was no way to go back to normal play. Even if the game somehow got into overtime, the clock would still run.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 11:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
It depends luke. Contact your state for all the information, it's a state adopted rule.

Here in Illinois (last year, not this year) it was a 30 point lead going into the 4th or at any point in the 4th when the margin reached 30 points the clock would run. Once this status was reached, there was no way to go back to normal play. Even if the game somehow got into overtime, the clock would still run.
TJ,

We still have this rule; they just took it away for all games. It only applies to tournament games before February 1.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 11:21am
M.A.S.H.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

TJ,

We still have this rule; they just took it away for all games. It only applies to tournament games before February 1.

Peace
True JRut,

I was just under the impression he was speaking of just regular games. Thanks for filling in my small gap! Also, I believe, it's decided by the school hosting the tournament whether or not it's used.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 11:26am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

TJ,

Peace
True JRut,

I was just under the impression he was speaking of just regular games. Thanks for filling in my small gap! Also, I believe, it's decided by the school hosting the tournament whether or not it's used. [/B][/QUOTE]

And you clarified something I did not make clear.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

In MO it is 30 anytim in the 4th quarter. Although like alot of things in MO its done in a retarded way because it reverts back when it returns to under 30. So you have the inevitable 30-28-30-28..etc..etc..etc

Florida (I think I remember the right state) does it right. Once it gets to 30 it would have to get down to 20 before returning to normal timekeeping, I think that makes the most sense.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

In Nevada we don't have it at all.

Just keep beating the poor b@stards into the ground.

PS The BV game that I worked tonight was 80-41.

Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 08:09pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

In Michigan, it's running clock for a 40 point margin any time in the second half. And stop clock doesn't resume until the lead is back down to 30 or less (or is it 29 or less; not that I've never had this situation).

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by eyezen
its done in a retarded way
I don't like to be politically correct, but there has to be a better way to express that thought.

Quote:
it reverts back
I don't like to be Mr. Annoying Grammar Guy (well, yes, I do ), but I know there's a better way to express that thought.