The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Please tell me the right call.

Ball goes out of bounds. Referee signals Team A. Team B steps out of bounds and the referee hands the ball to the wrong team (team B) Correctable or not?

Clay
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Correctable until the ball is inbounded.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

So what you are telling me is, If the offical gives the ball to the wrong team and they make the throw in and head for their basket the mistake in not correctable?

Clay
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 03:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by CLAY
Please tell me the right call.

Ball goes out of bounds. Referee signals Team A. Team B steps out of bounds and the referee hands the ball to the wrong team (team B) Correctable or not?

It's not a correctable error. It is an official's error. It can be corrected up to the time that the ball touches an in-bounds player on the throw-in. After that, we gotta live with our mistake.

Same concept as case book play 6.4.1SitD.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

thank you for your help. I have another question.

Can a personal foul occur during a dead ball or is it a "T"?
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Dead ball fouls are techinical.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 04:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
thank you for your help. I have another question.

Can a personal foul occur during a dead ball or is it a "T"?
Yup, a personal foul can occur when the ball is dead if it involves contact by or on an airborne shooter.

See rule 4-19-1 and rule 4-19-5(c).
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, I am now confused.

Here is the question.

A personal foul cannot occur during a dead ball True/FAlse
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 04:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Ok, I am now confused.

Here is the question.

A personal foul cannot occur during a dead ball True/FAlse
False.

See the rules that I cited above.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks JR. I have found it and have a better understanding of the rule and how it is used.

Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Ok here are some more questions.

1.Guarding is the act of legally placing the body in the path of an offensive opponent. True/False

2. B1 has established a legal guarding psoition and may maintain that position even while airbone, provide he/she is inbounds. True/False.

3. After obtaining an initial legal position , the guard must continur to face the oppomemt to maintain legal position. True/false

4. The ball becomes dead when A2 fouls before A1's field goal try is in flight. True/False.

5.The ball becomes dead if A1 has started a try for goal, but B1 fouls A2 before the ball is in flight. True/False.

6. Both the foul and the violation are penalized if , during a try for field goal by A1, B1 fouls A1 and B2 commits basket interference. True/False.

7. Goaltending a free throw is both a violation and a techinical foul. True/False.

8. There are no restrictions in the area of the team jersey from the base of the neckline to the shoulder seam. True/False.

9. If a players shirt is not properly tucked inside the pants, the official shall direct him or her to leave the game unless the tean is subseqently granted a time out. True/False.

Thanks again guys for all your help. As i read the rule book these are the questions I am not sure of and the rule book sometimes can be confusing.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok here are some more questions.

1.Guarding is the act of legally placing the body in the path of an offensive opponent. True/False

2. B1 has established a legal guarding psoition and may maintain that position even while airbone, provide he/she is inbounds. True/False.

3. After obtaining an initial legal position , the guard must continur to face the oppomemt to maintain legal position. True/false

4. The ball becomes dead when A2 fouls before A1's field goal try is in flight. True/False.

5.The ball becomes dead if A1 has started a try for goal, but B1 fouls A2 before the ball is in flight. True/False.

6. Both the foul and the violation are penalized if , during a try for field goal by A1, B1 fouls A1 and B2 commits basket interference. True/False.

7. Goaltending a free throw is both a violation and a techinical foul. True/False.

8. There are no restrictions in the area of the team jersey from the base of the neckline to the shoulder seam. True/False.

9. If a players shirt is not properly tucked inside the pants, the official shall direct him or her to leave the game unless the tean is subseqently granted a time out. True/False.

Thanks again guys for all your help. As i read the rule book these are the questions I am not sure of and the rule book sometimes can be confusing.
I think you should scan all the questions, then post it on here and see who will help you pass the test.

Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

I wish I could, but these are the questions I missed on my test scored a 91% Sometimes the questions can be more of an english test than a rules test. They word the question to confuse you. When I look up the rule these are the one that the rule did not make sense to me.

Thanks for you help and I will keep reading to have a better understanding of how the rules are written.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I wish I could, but these are the questions I missed on my test scored a 91% Sometimes the questions can be more of an english test than a rules test. They word the question to confuse you. When I look up the rule these are the one that the rule did not make sense to me.

Thanks for you help and I will keep reading to have a better understanding of how the rules are written.
Yea, the rulebook can be confusing. But instead of just asking for true/false answers to questions, you should be asking to understand the situations described, and the variations that might be important.

For instance,

instead of just knowing whether or not that's true, you need to be asking why. What are all the rules that apply? How might the situation change to make the statement the other way round? What are the legal definitions of "guard," "legal position", "facing", and "opponent"? And so forth. WHen does this rule apply, and when doesn't it?

If you word the questions yourself, then you'll get an accurate picture from the answers to those questions, and from then on, you'll be able to get the answers right on the test AND you'll be able to administer the rules better on the floor.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
I wish I could, but these are the questions I missed on my test
There are only 2 possible answers. So if you got these wrong, you already know what their answers should be, right?