The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
It's a technical foul. It happened today for the varsity game. I was the official for the JV game and was hanging around for a little bit of the varsity game. Varsity officials aren't on the court yet. Should or could I do anything? I asked the varsity officials about it and they told me to let it go.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Why is touching the rim a technical?

Even if it is a technical, it can't be penalized until the officials' jurisdiction has begun. And it hasn't begun until they walk onto the court.

So the short answer is "no", you shouldn't do anything about it.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Sooooo your game ended, you showered and changed and still beat the varsity officials out onto the court?
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Ok so he actually grabbed the rim while dunking, didn't pull it down.

I was still sitting there next to the scorer's table right after my game, hadn't actually moved yet.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 10:08am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex
I asked the varsity officials about it and they told me to let it go.
Listen to the varsity officials.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
You'll learn more and faster being in the dressing room with the varsity guys. Mostly listen, don't talk much. Listen to their pre-game, what they cover and how they cover it, and what they don't cover. Listen to haw they are establishing team work. If you see problems, don't bring them up, but stay for part of the game, and see how it plays out. This tactic also wins you "brownie points" on the political ladder when you are thinking about applying for the next level up.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

It happens in most pregames. Players know that as soon as officals step onto the court that its a "no-no." In your case b/c your game is over, your job is done. Unless Varsity officials see it then there is no call.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
You'll learn more and faster being in the dressing room with the varsity guys. Mostly listen, don't talk much. Listen to their pre-game, what they cover and how they cover it, and what they don't cover. Listen to haw they are establishing team work. If you see problems, don't bring them up, but stay for part of the game, and see how it plays out. This tactic also wins you "brownie points" on the political ladder when you are thinking about applying for the next level up.
Hold on Mr. Spelling Guy! I'll take this one!

Juulie, do you mean we should watch Hee-Haw together to establish teamwork?

btw...who is the scrooge who deleted the Christmas tree/Hanaku lights thread??
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

When your game is over run, don't walk, off the floor into the locker room. Don't hang around on the court. You are just asking for trouble with disgruntled fans etc. if you hang around. And also do not put another official in a position like that by pointing out anything like that within earshot of coaches/players/fans. If I came on the floor to work and another official did what you did I would probabally ask him to leave in no uncertain terms.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Badger05
When your game is over run, don't walk, off the floor into the locker room. Don't hang around on the court. You are just asking for trouble with disgruntled fans etc. if you hang around. And also do not put another official in a position like that by pointing out anything like that within earshot of coaches/players/fans. If I came on the floor to work and another official did what you did I would probabally ask him to leave in no uncertain terms.
Why would you ask me to leave if I'm staying to watch part of the Varsity game? I didn't do anything about the player, I went and asked the Varsity guys about it and they said to leave it alone and I did.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 12:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Why would you ask me to leave if I'm staying to watch part of the Varsity game? I didn't do anything about the player, I went and asked the Varsity guys about it and they said to leave it alone and I did.
Go into dressing room, shower and change, come out and watch game.

You didn't really stay out there in your uni to watch it, did you? Not a good idea.

I'm with Badger05.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

btw...who is the scrooge who deleted the Christmas tree/Hanaku lights thread??
No Kiddin. If some baseball thread can survive 9 months, why can't we talk Christmas for a few weeks?

Oh Wait, I think I know, it was probably cause I didn't put the big OFF TOPIC THREAD warning in the title of it.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Go into dressing room, shower and change, come out and watch game.

You didn't really stay out there in your uni to watch it, did you? Not a good idea.

I'm with Badger05.
No I didn't stay out there in uniform, put the sweats back on and sat around.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok so he actually grabbed the rim while dunking, didn't pull it down.
So the truth comes out. Be more factual in the future. Touching v. Grasping are two different things. Double check your rule book.

If I am the official on the game and you give me that information....keep it to yourself. Enjoy the show and don't squeeze so hard, unless you are giving diamonds for Christmas.
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 01:52am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
.........haw they are establishing team work.

btw...who is the scrooge who deleted the Christmas tree/Hanaku lights thread?? [/B]
Dan, you are way behind on this one. Haw, opposite of gee.
It's a left and right thing. Didn't you read Call of the Wild?

Lonesome Dove