The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Saw this in a game last night, jump ball, arrow to blue. By mistake white trys to inbound the ball but they catch it immediately and give the ball to blue.

What would the procedure be if white inbounded the ball? Many things could happen, they score, foul on white or blue, turnover, etc. What should be done?
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex
Saw this in a game last night, jump ball, arrow to blue. By mistake white trys to inbound the ball but they catch it immediately and give the ball to blue.

What would the procedure be if white inbounded the ball? Many things could happen, they score, foul on white or blue, turnover, etc. What should be done?
Until the throw-in ends, stop it and correct the error.

Once the throw-in ends, it's too late to correct. Give blue two of the next three.

Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex

Notice it before the ball is inbounded like those officials did.

By rule, once the ball is inbounded it's too late to fix it. There is a specific case play on this.

I'll get flamed for this, but I'm a strong believer that officials should do everything they can to avoid letting a major administration mistake like this screw up game for the players. If it happened in my game and I could catch it real quick after the ball was inbounded (and before a score or foul occurred), I'd blow it dead and give it to the right team.

Z
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 11:25am
M.A.S.H.

I know I'm probably wrong (), but I was under the thought for some reason that once the ball was made live (at the disposal of the player for throw-in) it was technically too late.

But, of course, correcting it at this point is certainly no big deal if you can catch it before it's inbounded.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Case book play 6.4.1 Sit D.

Personally, I'd follow the rule as written.