The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

After my 9th grade game I drove 45 min to watch a girls varsity game that was outside of my chapter. I wanted to see the one team and also refs that I didn't know. Boy was I surprised. It was the worst officiated game I have ever seen. It was a 2 man varsity game. The officials were out of position all night. Here are some examples.
1.) trail official stood at half court on a free throw attempt
2.) Trail official never made it much past half court. There was a play in a half court offense set that the ball went to the foul line. The lead was blocked by players and the trail was still at half court. The player went to shoot the ball (jumped off the floor) was guarded came back to the floor and there was a no call. I heard the official say oh I didn't see it from back here. Well of course not. You were back there.
3.)The coach from the away team calmly asked a question (I was sitting 3 rows behind the bench) The ref put his for arm into the coach and said if I hear you again I am lighting you up.
4.) Late in the game fast break situation. The team that was winning had a wide open lay-up the defense pushed the girl in the back taking here to the floor. Official called foul and said from back here I couldn't tell if it was intentional or not.
5.) Player on losing team committed 5th foul, before being subbed for she untucked her shirt, the ref gave here a T but still allowed the coach to stand. After 5th foul that player is bench personal thus being an indirect to the coach.
6.) Last but not least. A fan from the winning team said this after a player fouled out: "Ya, that's 5 get her out of here" Not nice but not aweful. The ref tossed her.

There were many more. I was totally embarresed to say that I am an official after seeing that displayed on the court. I don't know if I should write their chapter or what I should do. It was just a shame.

Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PIAA REF

5.) Player on losing team committed 5th foul, before being subbed for she untucked her shirt, the ref gave here a T but still allowed the coach to stand. After 5th foul that player is bench personal thus being an indirect to the coach.
The player is not bench personnel until you tell the coach that it is her 5th foul.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

I'm sure somone thinks my calls are that bad but at least I'm hustling to get into the right position to make a bad call.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

There were many more. I was totally embarresed to say that I am an official after seeing that displayed on the court. I don't know if I should write their chapter or what I should do. It was just a shame.

What would be the point of writing a letter? After all, this is just your opinion. Move on.

Z
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:

What would be the point of writing a letter? After all, this is just your opinion. Move on.

Z
Agree with Z, because the same could happen to you one day. Those in glass houses.....
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Agree

I understanf your point and I wasn't talking about their judgement or the lack there of I was talking about their lack of professionalism on the court.
Also the ref did tell the coach before the shrit was untucked.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

I am glad it wasn't my game you saw last night!
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
I am glad it wasn't my game you saw last night!
How do you know it wasn't?
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

I know

I know it wasn't ref in PA because I know what game he had last night. Plus it was in a different chapter than his and plus I know he wouldn't have made the mistakes these guys did. So all in all I am positive it was not him lol
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that you shouldn't write. I'm sure whomever evaluates that chapter is aware of the crew. Could be that they were all that was available. When I see a crew like that, I use it as an example of what I won't do and move on.