The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 01:36am
We don't rent pigs

I attended games tonight as a spectator. Team A has a double digit lead, but their star is on the bench with 4 fouls. Midway of the 4th quarter, team B cuts the lead to 6, so A1 gets up to check back in the game. About this time A scores a basket just as the lead official swallows a bug or something. He blows the whistle and stops the game for a few seconds to regain his breath and his composure. The other official beckons the sub in. Coach B protests that the sub should not be allowed during an official's timeout like this one, since this was not a "normal stoppage of play." (paraphrased) They discussed it briefly, then Coach A called a timeout of her own, making it kind of a moot point. After the game, since he knows I am a rules expert, (I don't know how to do the rolling eyes icon) Coach B asked me about the substitution. I told him I knew of no such restriction, but I would check my books, which I did and found none. I also told him I had a source that knew everything I knew and also most everthing that I don't know. (give yourselves a hand) To make a long story short, (waaaay too late) is a substitution in this case legal?

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

This substitution is legal for NFHS and NCAA.

The only restriction on a "substitution opportunity" is the NCAA mens ruling that no subs are allowed on clock stoppages for made goals with under 1 minute remaining in the game.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Dec 1st, 2005 at 01:46 AM]
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 04:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
This substitution is legal for NFHS and NCAA.

The only restriction on a "substitution opportunity" is the NCAA mens ruling that no subs are allowed on clock stoppages for made goals with under 1 minute remaining in the game.
Actually, there's more restrictions in NCAA in the last minute. Rule 3-4.6 has the prohibition for subs during the clock stoppage after a made basket with under 1 minute. 3-4.7 adds:

Art. 7. (Men) Substitution shall not be allowed when the game is stopped in the last 59.9 seconds of the second half or any extra period to correct a timer’s mistake or for an inadvertent whistle.
Art. 7. (Women) Substitutions shall not be allowed when the game is stopped in the last 59.9 seconds of the second half or any extra period for anything other than a timeout, a violation or a foul.

Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Guess what - it's legal in FIBA to!

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

You cant sub on a play like that in the NBA, maybe he picked it up when he was coaching there