The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

I saw a veteran official blow his whistle because a player lost his glasses in the paint and then stop the clock and pat his head three times saying "my time" Is this an approved mechanic?
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

No, patting the head is a shot clock violation.

In a situation like that I will just give the dead ball signal and say, "My time."
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
The mechanic I see officials use is the 30 second mechanic. Dont know who started that, but I use it sometimes.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
The mechanic I see officials use is the 30 second mechanic. Dont know who started that, but I use it sometimes.
I would not recommend using the signal for a 30-second TO. What's the other coach going to think? He's going to think that you've granted a 30-second TO to the other team. I think it would be better not to give a signal for something that has not happened; just to avoid any misunderstanding.

Just give the stop clock signal. If you want to verbalize it, you can say "My time!". If you want to use a signal, I would just pat myself on the chest.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
I would not recommend using the signal for a 30-second TO. What's the other coach going to think? He's going to think that you've granted a 30-second TO to the other team. I think it would be better not to give a signal for something that has not happened; just to avoid any misunderstanding.

Just give the stop clock signal. If you want to verbalize it, you can say "My time!". If you want to use a signal, I would just pat myself on the chest.
Hey, if that's a good get, we should pat ourself on the back.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Hey, if that's a good get, we should pat ourself on the back.

I do verbalize "MY TIME" with that mechanic and I make sure everyone knows it my time! But I guess there is no mechanic written in stone!
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 09:23am
Huck Finn

Take this for what it's worth. A D1 assigner once said we don't have any time outs so to say "my time" is incorrect. There are times we blow our whistle without making an announcement and it is OK. If a kid is on the floor in agony, everyone would probably understand the stoppage without the announcement of "my time."
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Take this for what it's worth. A D1 assigner once said we don't have any time outs so to say "my time" is incorrect. There are times we blow our whistle without making an announcement and it is OK. If a kid is on the floor in agony, everyone would probably understand the stoppage without the announcement of "my time."
Thanks for the advice, well taken and noted!
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
If a player is down, then of course there's not much necessary in the way of a signal, except to beckon the coach in. But if there will be any doubt as to what is happening, I do it this way: whistle, pause until everyone is looking*, pat chest and verbalize "My time." It's totally against the book, or at least it's not in the book, but it's effective and efficient.

*I don't regard this as "drawing attention to myself" or "making it all about me". I see it as good communication.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
If a player is down, then of course there's not much necessary in the way of a signal, except to beckon the coach in. But if there will be any doubt as to what is happening, I do it this way: whistle, pause until everyone is looking*, pat chest and verbalize "My time." It's totally against the book, or at least it's not in the book, but it's effective and efficient.

*I don't regard this as "drawing attention to myself" or "making it all about me". I see it as good communication.
I don't see what patting your chest & saying "my time" adds in terms of communication.

In the original case, blow the whistle & point to the glasses on the floor. Once they are back on the kid's nose where they belong put the ball back in play. IMO it should be clear even to the goofiest of us what's going on.

As Tom said we don't have any time outs.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 10:10am
In Memoriam

I've kinda got into the habit of just looking at the scorer and loudly saying "no time-out charged".
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

I don't see what patting your chest & saying "my time" adds in terms of communication.

In the original case, blow the whistle & point to the glasses on the floor. Once they are back on the kid's nose where they belong put the ball back in play. IMO it should be clear even to the goofiest of us what's going on.

At your exalted level of play, I imagine people do understand what's happening. 7th grade girls, and their idiot savant table people, completely clueless coaches and other assorted hangers-on usually need to be told specifically, and immediately, what's happening, and who's to blame.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

At your exalted level of play,
PUH-LEEZE.
Quote:
I imagine people do understand what's happening.
now THAT's funny!
Quote:
7th grade girls, and their idiot savant table people, completely clueless coaches and other assorted hangers-on usually need to be told specifically, and immediately, what's happening, and who's to blame.
At least YOUR coaches & table people can do something well, I generally deal with run of the mill idiots. If they ask what just happened you can tell tell them, or as JR suggested announce "no charged timeout" as the player-ette is putting her glasses back on.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

I would guess with idiot savant scorers, they wouldn't need a score book to keep track. Amd, I bet they could tell you the score of the 1939 District Final. K-Mart sucks!
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

At your exalted level of play, I imagine people do understand what's happening. 7th grade girls, and their idiot savant table people, completely clueless coaches and other assorted hangers-on usually need to be told specifically, and immediately, what's happening, and who's to blame. [/B]

Main Entry: idiot sa·vant
Pronunciation: 'E-"dyO-sä-'vän, or same as IDIOT and SAVANT for respective sing and pl forms
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural idiots savants /-"dyO-sä-'vän(z) /; or idiot savants /-'vän(z)/
Etymology: French, literally, learned idiot
1 : a person affected with a mental disability (as autism or mental retardation) who exhibits exceptional skill or brilliance in some limited field (as mathematics or music) -- called also savant
2 : a person who is highly knowledgeable about one subject but knows little about anything else

ROTFLMAO