The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Working a girls JV game last night and a player gets poked in the eye. Partner reports the foul and calls coach out to take a look a his player. Kid gets up and all is well except as the coach walks by he begins to tell me how we need to stop anticipating calls, etc.. I reply that an injury time-out is not the time and he tells my partner that I'm the weakest official he's ever seen. Whack!!!!
How would you have handled this situation?
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stripes33
Working a girls JV game last night and a player gets poked in the eye. Partner reports the foul and calls coach out to take a look a his player. Kid gets up and all is well except as the coach walks by he begins to tell me how we need to stop anticipating calls, etc.. I reply that an injury time-out is not the time and he tells my partner that I'm the weakest official he's ever seen. Whack!!!!
How would you have handled this situation?
same way

Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

First I tell him he lost his box, and the last act he has standing is picking a sub for his player that got poked in the eye since he came on the floor when beckoned.

Try to guess which call I'm anticipating now?

Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Whackaroma!!!! Best call you can ever make!
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 03:15pm
M.A.S.H.

I agree, I would have done it the same way. I hate it whenever a player goes down hard (with nothing to call) and is down. Then, when the coach first comes out, the first thing he/she wants to do is bi*ch about the no call, unbelieveable. Soap Box off...

[Edited by tjones1 on Nov 30th, 2005 at 03:22 PM]
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Who t'eed 'em - U or your partner?

Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 07:16am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

I hope it wasn't his partner.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 08:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

I hope it wasn't his partner.
Why?

Stripes33 said "He tells my partner that I'm the weakest official he's ever seen".

If a coach dumps on my partner to me, I ain't gonna put up with it.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 09:42am
Huck Finn

JR, I had to read the original post again. This is my opinion on a situation like this. If we were in a game together and the coach made that comment to you while I'm on the other side of the court, then I would thank you for handling it. However, if I'm communicating with a coach and he looks to you, wherever you are, and makes that comment while basically talking right past me (I hope it is clear what I'm trying to describe) then it is up to me to have the intestinal fortitude to put my whistle in my mouth and handle business.
I'm not saying we shouldn't have each other's back; I'm saying we should have the courage to protect ourselves when attacked right in front of our faces.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 10:04am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
JR, I had to read the original post again. This is my opinion on a situation like this. If we were in a game together and the coach made that comment to you while I'm on the other side of the court, then I would thank you for handling it. However, if I'm communicating with a coach and he looks to you, wherever you are, and makes that comment while basically talking right past me (I hope it is clear what I'm trying to describe) then it is up to me to have the intestinal fortitude to put my whistle in my mouth and handle business.
I'm not saying we shouldn't have each other's back; I'm saying we should have the courage to protect ourselves when attacked right in front of our faces.
I agree that you sureashell should have the intestinal fortitude to take care of your own bidness.

If you don't though, then I'm still nailing the coach for that one. Nowayinhell do I let him get away with dumping on one of my partners like that. That's the same as dumping on me, as far as I'm concerned. I'm also gonna be having a little talk with my partner after the game too.

Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 10:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Preventive officiating

The only concern I would have is why were you so close to the coach for him to make that comment? In other words did he yell across the court or where you right next to him to hear his comments? One of the things I do when an injury happens is I get far away so that if there is any confrontation with a coach, he had to go out of their way to get me or my partner. We do the same in football where we have many more injuries. I am not saying that is what took place in this case, but it will possibly prevent a problem or if you have one everyone knows why the coach got a T.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

I'd have flagged him! A T is a T and a whack is a whack. Makes no difference how close I am to the coach. I'm not changing my postion on the court in order to not provoke a coach. If he mouths off, that's HIS choice.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 04:04pm
Huck Finn

Getting away is a good point. Makes the whole thing obvious.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

I have one almost as good. Girls JV game and home team is up by 10 in 3rd quarter. Our C official is right in front of the home coach who begins to loudly complain about the foul count being 7 to 2. The best part is that the home team has committed the 2 fouls and the visitors who are down by 10 have committed the 7 fouls. The home coach then wants to know when we are going to start to even the foul count. My partner says to the coach, "Do you realize that the count is in your favor?" At that point she says to him, "you officiate and I will coach!" She was whacked at that point.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by todd66
I have one almost as good. Girls JV game and home team is up by 10 in 3rd quarter. Our C official is right in front of the home coach who begins to loudly complain about the foul count being 7 to 2. The best part is that the home team has committed the 2 fouls and the visitors who are down by 10 have committed the 7 fouls. The home coach then wants to know when we are going to start to even the foul count. My partner says to the coach, "Do you realize that the count is in your favor?" At that point she says to him, "you officiate and I will coach!" She was whacked at that point.
That's not one of the smartest coaches I've heard of.
Also, I find it intriging that you guys are working 3-man on JV games while we are still doing 1/2 of our V games with 2-man.